Teacher Appreciation Week
5,734 Views | 81 Replies
fc2112
1:18p, 5/7/24
wangus12
1:57p, 5/7/24
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
2:21p, 5/7/24
a 2000 investigation by the Association of American University Women claimed that nearly 9.6 percent of students in grades eight through 11 were victims of sexual misconduct by school personnel, a figure that included both physical and verbal actions. Meantime, Stop Educator Sexual Abuse Misconduct & Exploitation, a nonprofit that works to stop childhood sexual abuse by teachers and other school employees, states that in 2015, about 3.5 million students between eighth and 11th gradenearly 7 percent of those surveyeddivulged that they had experienced "physical sexual contact from an adult" (most often a teacher or coach).

from DOE report, Based on the assumption that the AAUW surveys accurately represent the experiences of all K-12 students, more than 4.5 million students are subject to sexual misconduct by an employee of a school sometime between kindergarten and 12th grade.

Weird how this isnt literally all we're talking about. To put number into perspective, there are 5 million students in texas. The catholic church had 10,000 people come forward.
BaitShack
3:07p, 5/7/24
B-1 83
4:18p, 5/7/24

Parents - don't forget to get that favorite teacher a coffee mug or "Worlds Greatest Teacher" apple for her desk!*

*Bull****. Get them Specs gift cards - they need alcohol and tasty snacks after dealing with your spawn for 9 months.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
The Chicken Ranch
4:23p, 5/7/24
In reply to B-1 83
Mrs. The Chicken Ranch definitely needs alcohol this late in the school year.

Not enough blue stars, B1!
Wolfpac 08
4:41p, 5/7/24
In reply to B-1 83
B-1 83 said:

*Bull****. Get them Specs gift cards - they need alcohol and tasty snacks after dealing with your spawn for 9 months.

Oh, yes, that's what they need. Some booze to loosen them up for a little more grexual misconduct with minors…
Doctor Rosenrosen
5:10p, 5/7/24
In reply to BaitShack
The Chicken Ranch
5:29p, 5/7/24
In reply to Wolfpac 08
Wolfpac 08 said:

B-1 83 said:

Oh, yes, that's what they need. Some booze to loosen them up for a little more grexual misconduct with minors…

That's not a generalization, now is it?
Serious Lee
5:37p, 5/7/24
sounds like alot of them need something much harder than alcohol
Wolfpac 08
5:47p, 5/7/24
In reply to The Chicken Ranch
The Chicken Ranch said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

B-1 83 said:

That's not a generalization, now is it?

Yes…yes, it is. And no less accurate. This is the General board, after all.
Stat Monitor Repairman
6:18p, 5/7/24
The 40oz Stanley cup is the perfect cover for alcoholic teachers.
histag10
6:22p, 5/7/24
Our school sent out a calendar for the week with suggestions of what we should buy them daily. Yes- daily.

If I want to buy you something, I will, but I sure as **** ain't buying you something every day this week.
B-1 83
6:56p, 5/7/24
In reply to Wolfpac 08
Wolfpac 08 said:

B-1 83 said:

School's out…..that's what run-down shady bars are for.
bam02
8:24p, 5/7/24
Baron von Bulsh
2:19a, 5/8/24
In reply to B-1 83
B-1 83 said:

Parents - don't forget to get that favorite teacher a coffee mug or "Worlds Greatest Teacher" apple for her desk!*

My wife loves the students she teaches, it's the damn admin that makes her need booze.
nai06
3:16a, 5/8/24
I taught high school at a low income title 1 school so teacher gifts weren't ever really a thing. One of the best gifts I ever got was a mug that a student made for me. She did her best to draw my face I colored glaze before firing it and almost didn't give it to me because it didn't turn out "right". I use it all the time.

The other thing I did was leave a blank notebook out that two weeks of the year. Since if didn't buy a yearbook every time, if a student wanted to sign that or leave me a note they could. At the end of the year I would tuck all the notes, cards, doodles, or graduation pictures I received into the pages for safe keeping. If I was ever feeling down, stressed, or burned out, I would pull out the book and read a few pages. It always cheered me up and kept me going.
The Fife
6:23a, 5/8/24
In reply to bam02
bam02 said:

2, 3, 1, 4, 5
bam02
6:39a, 5/8/24
In reply to The Fife
2,3 was definitely a coin toss.
Moral High Horse
7:24a, 5/8/24
In reply to B-1 83
B-1 83 said:

Meh, government pays them enough and they get plenty of time off.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
8:51a, 5/8/24
I think school districts should pay teachers $150k/year. No ideas for the people forced out of the profession by more qualified candidates though.
TecRecAg
9:59a, 5/8/24
Firm belief that you should have to work your way up in grades as your career progresses.

Why on earth are we putting 23 year old women, who just got done ****in everything that moves for the last 4 years in college, with a bunch of 16-18 year old high school boys?
Wolfpac 08
10:21a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Raise the pay, raise the qualification standards for the job.

And summers are required training/continued education for all teachers, not a 3 month vacation
nai06
10:25a, 5/8/24
In reply to Wolfpac 08
Wolfpac 08 said:

And summers are required training/continued education for all teachers, not a 3 month vacation
is it really a vacation if its unpaid?
NoahAg
10:37a, 5/8/24
Tax funded babysitters.
Wolfpac 08
10:43a, 5/8/24
In reply to nai06
nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

is it really a vacation if it's unpaid?

They agreed to an annual salary when they accepted the job just like I did…I don't get to not work for 3 months a year.

Unless teachers are hourly and I wasn't aware? It's a vacation
AustinCountyAg
10:50a, 5/8/24
In reply to Wolfpac 08
Wolfpac 08 said:

most, if not all require teacher to complete extra training hours throughout the summer
B-1 83
10:56a, 5/8/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

Tax funded babysitters.
If you taught your kids to not be little house apes there would be more time to teach.
Wolfpac 08
11:32a, 5/8/24
In reply to AustinCountyAg
AustinCountyAg said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

most, if not all require teacher to complete extra training hours throughout the summer

I dated a teacher for a while. She slept until noon and watched reruns of COPS all afternoon. The only thing she was learning was how many diet cokes she could drink between bathroom breaks.

Structured, 8-5, in person training. From updating their knowledge-base, to how to present materials…they need to be getting better and it shouldn't be self-governed
nai06
11:50a, 5/8/24
In reply to Wolfpac 08
Wolfpac 08 said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

They agreed to an annual salary when they accepted the job just like I did…I don't get to not work for 3 months a year.

Do you consider you weekend vacation days?
NoahAg
12:13p, 5/8/24
In reply to nai06
nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

Teachers get weekends off too.

Teaching can be a noble profession (administrators not so much). I know several good teachers.
But they know what they're getting into when they sign up. A household with both parents working as teachers can live pretty comfortably.
Wolfpac 08
12:20p, 5/8/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

Teaching can be a noble profession (administrators not so much). I know several good teachers.
But they know what they're getting into when they sign up. A household with both parents working as teachers can live pretty comfortably.

Bingo

But, I'm curious as to your point with that one?
ag88man
12:33p, 5/8/24
In reply to fc2112
If only I was 43 years younger.
nai06
1:25p, 5/8/24
In reply to Wolfpac 08
Wolfpac 08 said:

NoahAg said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

Bingo

I am assuming you don't consider your weekends a vacation. Your place of business isn't open and you aren't paid for those days. That's more or less how it works for teachers during the summer. Is it really two month long vacation if you aren't paid for it?
Howdy Dammit
1:30p, 5/8/24
In reply to nai06
nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

NoahAg said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

nai06 said:

Wolfpac 08 said:

Bingo

I am assuming you don't consider your weekends a vacation. Your place of business isn't open and you aren't paid for those days. That's more or less how it works for teachers during the summer. Is it really two month long vacation if you aren't paid for it?

If you make 60k a year and take it over the course of 9 months or 12 months, you still make 60k a year. Teachers can just make their yearly salary in 9 months instead of 12 like the rest of us. Quit being obtuse.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings