****The Tortured Poets Department-Taylor Swift***^
19,205 Views | 289 Replies
Aggie Therapist
6:50a, 4/18/24
Releases at midnight tonight (4/19)

From a glance, this album looks to be dark and about the break up with Joe Alwyn after dating for 6 years. Taylor has some pretty good features on the song lineup.

1. "Fortnight" (featuring Post Malone)

2. "The Tortured Poets Department"

3. "My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys"

4. "Down Bad"

5. "So Long, London"

6. "But Daddy I Love Him"

7. "Fresh Out the Slammer"

8. "Florida!!!" (featuring Florence and the Machine)

9. "Guilty as Sin?"

10. "Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?"

11. "I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)"

12. "Loml"

13. "I Can Do It With a Broken Heart"

14. "The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived"

15. "The Alchemy"

16. "Clara Bow"

And there are tons of "bonus editions"

BadMoonRisin
10:00a, 4/18/24
a post malone collab, interesting.
Head Ninja In Charge
10:11a, 4/18/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
Ain't eem gonna lie, he has a pretty solid singing voice. A random IG reel came across my timeline yesterday of him covering "Friends in Low Places" and it was...good.

Would like to see another Bon Iver feature if this is a break-up album. I'd pay cold hard cash for a Bon Iver x Taylor EP. They're a good team.
TajMaballer
11:15a, 4/18/24
In reply to Head Ninja In Charge
Absolutely love this cover of exile by Bastille!

BadMoonRisin
11:20a, 4/18/24
In reply to Head Ninja In Charge
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Ain't eem gonna lie, he has a pretty solid singing voice. A random IG reel came across my timeline yesterday of him covering "Friends in Low Places" and it was...good.

Would like to see another Bon Iver feature if this is a break-up album. I'd pay cold hard cash for a Bon Iver x Taylor EP. They're a good team.
I wasnt saying it like that.

Post Malone has a great voice and is very versatile -- I'm a big fan.

I think he's less of a rapper now and more of a rock artist who is transcending the genre. He does collabs with all kinds of people -- Noah Kahan, a folk singer, Taylor Swift, etc.

You should see his Nirvana cover concert he did with travis barker during COVID. Dude can sing.

And his acoustic cover of Pearl Jam's Last Kiss (which was already a cover) is really good too.

Diggity
11:34a, 4/18/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
that Covid concert was great.
Aggie Therapist
1:05p, 4/18/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
Post Malone is an amazing musician and person.

He hangs out with former delta to work on his shooting and room clearing techniques and is a huge gamer/nerd too.

The fact that the song is called Fortnight is no coincidence. This is going to be a hell of a track on Taylor's new album.
dummble
1:10p, 4/18/24
My daughter wants. Should I order on amazon, or walk into best buy tomorrow?
TXAG 05
1:30p, 4/18/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
BadMoonRisin said:

Head Ninja In Charge said:

I wasnt saying it like that.

Post Malone has a great voice and is very versatile -- I'm a big fan.

I think he's less of a rapper now and more of a rock artist who is transcending the genre. He does collabs with all kinds of people -- Noah Kahan, a folk singer, Taylor Swift, etc.

You should see his Nirvana cover concert he did with travis barker during COVID. Dude can sing.

And his acoustic cover of Pearl Jam's Last Kiss (which was already a cover) is really good too.

I never thought much of him until he did that Nirvana thing. Thought that was great.
Aggie Therapist
3:31p, 4/18/24
In reply to dummble
dummble said:

My daughter wants. Should I order on amazon, or walk into best buy tomorrow?

Barns and Nobles has a bunch of Midnights Vinyl

Streaming or Records is the future! CDs?

I'm sure Best Buy have them, call and ask!
walton91
3:45p, 4/18/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
Girlfriend pre-ordered vinyl the night TS announced the album at the Grammys. Then she ordered The Manuscript edition from Target saying it was exclusive to Target. I am now going to burn my phone and deny that I ever saw your post showing there are THREE more special editions
dummble
4:00p, 4/18/24
I am leaning towards CD since that is impulse pricing and vinyl is entering gift territory.
Aggie Therapist
4:25p, 4/18/24
In reply to walton91
Oh, Taylor Swift is a money machine baby.

Get it Tay Tay!
Aggie Therapist
4:29p, 4/18/24
In reply to walton91
walton91 said:

Girlfriend pre-ordered vinyl the night TS announced the album at the Grammys. Then she ordered The Manuscript edition from Target saying it was exclusive to Target. I am now going to burn my phone and deny that I ever saw your post showing there are THREE more special editions

Oh…..she knows…..
TCTTS
4:40p, 4/18/24
For the first time I'm starting to see a real backlash among some of her fans who have already heard the leaked version, as it's apparently not great/basically just sounds like Midnights 2.0 / Midnights B-Sides. The marketing/marketing materials have been pretty lacking/uninspired as well, while the whole thing to me just feels kind of half-assed and rushed this go around, which is obviously the total opposite of how most of her album releases feel..

I unabashedly like Swift and her music, but the album announcement at the Grammys felt way too soon and even a little cringe, if I'm being honest. She was on top of the world in 2023, bigger than any artist since Michael Jackson, and IMO she needed to take a break after The Eras Tour, leave her fans wanting more, and then come back in 2025 with new music.

Then again, the reactions I've read could just be from haters, the album itself could be great, and I'll of course give it a shot tonight. We shall see...
Tabasco
6:29p, 4/18/24
In reply to TCTTS
Beatles released 2 albums a year
Tabasco
6:31p, 4/18/24
And come on man... I know you are in Austin. The album does not drop at midnight... it's 10:59 Central 4/18 tonight.

For the above poster with a daughter, stream it on Spotify tonight.
TCTTS
6:40p, 4/18/24
In reply to Tabasco
Tabasco said:

… in the 1960s, which was obviously a completely different media era. They also burned bright, and were together only seven years. Swift has been at this for 18 years.

I'm just saying, given the rarified air she was in last year, she should have pulled a Costanza and left fans wanting more. She needed to disappear for a bit and come back next year instead. Otherwise, she's risking over saturation, which many people, including fans, are already feeling. You can see it on social media, in the way this album is being covered, etc. IMO, it's too much, too soon.

All that said, if this album ends up being legitimately good, I'll be back tonight/tomorrow to eat crow…
Tabasco
6:46p, 4/18/24

Another Doug
7:08p, 4/18/24
In reply to TCTTS
TCTTS said:

For the first time I'm starting to see a real backlash among some of her fans who have already heard the leaked version, as it's apparently not great/basically just sounds like Midnights 2.0 / Midnights B-Sides. The marketing/marketing materials have been pretty lacking/uninspired as well, while the whole thing to me just feels kind of half-assed and rushed this go around, which is obviously the total opposite of how most of her album releases feel..

I unabashedly like Swift and her music, but the album announcement at the Grammys felt way too soon and even a little cringe, if I'm being honest. She was on top of the world in 2023, bigger than any artist since Michael Jackson, and IMO she needed to take a break after The Eras Tour, leave her fans wanting more, and then come back in 2025 with new music.

Then again, the reactions I've read could just be from haters, the album itself could be great, and I'll of course give it a shot tonight. We shall see...

Whatever the marketing is, it is working. This is the most hype I've seen around an album since thriller.

As far as early reviews go, I'll bet they are full of *****
Another Doug
7:11p, 4/18/24
In reply to Tabasco
Tabasco said:

MMT was considered the lesser of the albums one year. And it had I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, All You Need is Love and Penny lane, not to mention the closing song to one of the best movies of this century.
TCTTS
7:24p, 4/18/24
In reply to Another Doug
Since Thriller? Seriously?

Lover, Reputation, and 1989 were each hyped far more than this album.

The general sentiment I've continually seen these past couple of weeks is literally how little this album is being promoted comparatively, even by Swift herself. It's bizarre. For one, she didn't even release a single from it ahead of time, something she's otherwise done for nearly every album. She's hardly done any kind of count down either, she hasn't made a single appearance yet, etc. Not to mention, the marketing materials she released at whatever library earlier this week were getting dunked on for featuring typos and just looking cheap in general.

Again, I like her! I want this album to be good!

But so far the build up has been an objective step down from her behemoth efforts of the past.
Another Doug
7:43p, 4/18/24
In reply to TCTTS
TCTTS said:

Since Thriller? Seriously?

Lover, Reputation, and 1989 were each hyped far more than this album.

The general sentiment I've continually seen these past couple of weeks is literally how little this album is being promoted comparatively, even by Swift herself. It's bizarre. For one, she didn't even release a single from it ahead of time, something she's otherwise done for nearly every album. She's hardly done any kind of count down either, she hasn't made a single appearance yet, etc. Not to mention, the marketing materials she released at whatever library earlier this week were getting dunked on for featuring typos and just looking cheap in general.

Again, I like her! I want this album to be good!

But so far the build up has been an objective step down from her behemoth efforts of the past.
I guess I just missed all those official discussion threads on the entertainment board that were happening when they came out.
TCTTS
7:46p, 4/18/24
In reply to Another Doug
I'm obviously talking about online in general.
Another Doug
8:15p, 4/18/24
In reply to TCTTS
TCTTS said:

I'm obviously talking about online in general.

I'm speaking from my perspective as a 47 yo man. I wasn't even aware of those albums existence when they came out. She is obviously on another level of stardom this time if we are talking about it here.
Tabasco
8:16p, 4/18/24
In reply to TCTTS
No single release for fokelore (no marketing, announced an hour or two before) or evermore (announced a week before). I think from a financial success standpoint, she is doing pretty well.
TCTTS
8:28p, 4/18/24
In reply to Tabasco
Both pandemic releases, and purposely marketed as much. Which is why I left those two out.

Also, in no way am I saying she's not doing well financially, or even implying as much. She's a certified billionaire at this point, and when all is said and done she'll probably go down in history as the one of the top grossing artists of all time.

For the umpteenth time, I'm simply saying that, for the first time in, like, a decade, I'm seeing some genuine Taylor Swift backlash, even among her fans, both in how soon this album is coming out, and in the responses so far to the album itself. The impression some people have is that after she achieved unprecedented global dominance last year, she couldn't step away and let the spotlight fade for a bit. She just rolled right into the next thing, and it feels like maybe she might be killing some of the massive goodwill she's built up.

I hope not!

We'll see!
aglaohfour
8:49p, 4/18/24
The general public only has a stomach for a certain amount of success before they turn and attempt to tear down those whom they previously revered. It's an interesting phenomenon and a pretty gross one. I wouldn't be surprised to see Swift fall victim to that to some degree, but I doubt her complete downfall is anytime soon.

For what it's worth, the algorithm feeds me a ton of Swift-related content and I've seen nothing but pure hype since she announced the album and nothing but positive stuff about all the marketing popping up this week. My girls range in age from 21-10 and all three of them are incredibly excited. The 21-year-old just sent me a leaked mp3 of "Fortnight" that she downloaded from god knows where. She's already listened to it more than 10 times. She's staying up with friends and roommates to listen at midnight. The 10-year-old is planning to get up an hour early tomorrow morning so she can listen to the whole album before school. So, from my perspective at least, there seems to be just as much hype as there has been in the past.
TCTTS
9:03p, 4/18/24

I dig what little we can hear, and the video itself is giving Scream vibes...

MookieBlaylock
9:16p, 4/18/24
TCTTS ego so big he thinks he could manage Taylor Swifts career - this def the highlight of this board in years
TCTTS
9:22p, 4/18/24
In reply to MookieBlaylock
I'm commenting on what I'm seeing OTHER PEOPLE saying. Do I agree with them to an extent? Yes. But have I continually left the door wide for this album to be great? Also yes.

The only thing being highlighted here is your weird, obsessive glee in trying to own me in yet another thread.
Aggie Therapist
9:52p, 4/18/24
In reply to Tabasco
Tabasco said:

And come on man... I know you are in Austin. The album does not drop at midnight... it's 10:59 Central 4/18 tonight.

For the above poster with a daughter, stream it on Spotify tonight.

Just left the office…..I have drill tomorrow and have to take off my civilian job. I've figured out that I don't trust anyone but me to document correctly and square things away.

Trying to avoid a total mess Monday morning when I come back.

Current set up……we're moving offices soon…
Another Doug
10:33p, 4/18/24
In reply to TCTTS
TCTTS said:

I'm commenting on what I'm seeing OTHER PEOPLE saying. Do I agree with them to an extent? Yes. But have I continually left the door wide for this album to be great? Also yes.

The only thing being highlighted here is your continued, weird, obsessive glee in trying to own me in yet another thread.

Many people are saying, that Taylor Swift's new album is a huge disaster, sad

wangus12
10:47p, 4/18/24
If the album is bad, Kelce may have to fear for his life. Her fans will take him out of the equation to get their idol back on track with her music
TXAG 05
10:53p, 4/18/24
In reply to Another Doug
Another Doug said:

Tabasco said:

MMT was considered the lesser of the albums one year. And it had I am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, All You Need is Love and Penny lane, not to mention the closing song to one of the best movies of this century.

Not to derail, but what movie?

I would say there isn't much marketing for this album, wouldn't know it was coming out if it wasn't for this thread, but I'm not the target demographic.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 9
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings