JRE - "Alternative" Archaeology Episodes
1,159 Views | 10 Replies
Definitely Not A Cop
8:37a, 4/19/24
Just started listening to the Joe Rogan episode with Graham Hancock and Flint Dibbles (what an awesome name for an Archaeologist). For those needing context, Joe has Graham and other ancient civilization believers on all the time and has them debating each other and traditional archaeologists. I think they are the best episodes he does. Not only because I usually learn a nugget of something cool from the past mixed in with some likely large amounts of unprovable conspiracy ideas, but because there is apparently no field filled with more stupid HS drama than Archaeology. It's just hours of them screaming and calling each other names and hurting each other's feelings while Joe is constantly trying to keep them on course with the discussions.

NSFW language warning

Maybe I'm the only one.

cena05
8:39a, 4/19/24
This was a hard listen, nothing learned on this one.
DallasTeleAg
8:41a, 4/19/24
In reply to Definitely Not A Cop
I started it, but Graham started his rebuttal of Flint's initial monologue with the old "studies show" BS.

If you're going to debate certain ideas or a particular claim, you need to cite the damn study instead of just using a blanket appeal to authority. After a few minutes of him talking, I started to think this was just going to be a food fight between the two and went on to something else.

Do they later get much more substantive?
Definitely Not A Cop
8:44a, 4/19/24
In reply to DallasTeleAg
Absolutely not. It's mostly four hours of slap fighting. The amount of emotional investment these guys have over something that 99.99% of the world gives zero ****s about and is mostly unprovable one way or the other is what really entertains me.

I do think the ideas presented are cool, but you do have to take everything anyone is saying on these with a grain of salt.
Seersucker Ag 2011
9:14a, 4/19/24
Jamie, can I get the HDMI cable?
VP at Pierce and Pierce
11:19a, 4/19/24
Jamie, see if you can pull that up.

Jamie, Can you zoom in?

maverick2076
12:36p, 4/19/24
I have a child. I don't need to listen to four hours of adults acting like children.
Captain Winky
1:28p, 4/19/24
Dude in the hat looks like he raided his dad's closet before coming on.
Jugstore Cowboy
2:13p, 4/19/24
In reply to Captain Winky
Captain Winky said:

Dude in the hat looks like he raided his dad's closet before coming on.
The cheap knock-off Indiana Jones hat was fine, but the shirt cuffs really paint a picture.
Leggo My Elko
2:33p, 4/19/24
Graham Hancock is an absolute moron.
BlueSmoke
9:55a, 5/7/24
Just could not make it all the way through. Previously I enjoyed Hancock's perspective, now he's completely exposed as a crackpot. When talk of "evidence" quickly came out, Hancock's only defense were personal attacks that this asinine line of reasoning that archeologists haven't done enough research even though the work they have done shows zero evidence to back his claims…..oh, and archaeologists are "mean".
Nobody cares. Work Harder
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off