NYT: You will eat bugs and enjoy it
9,043 Views | 121 Replies
techno-ag
9:31a, 5/7/24
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/06/dining/eating-cicadas.html

Quote:

In the United States, eating insects is often sensationalized, trivialized or framed as a source of cheap protein for an end-of-the-world scenario. But for about two billion people who regularly eat insects around the world, it's one of our oldest and most ordinary foods.

"I like to think of cicadas as just another ingredient," Mr. Yoon said. "Like lobster or shrimp." In fact, cicadas are so closely related to lobster that the Food and Drug Administration has issued reminders to avoid them if you have a shellfish allergy.
Wowzers. Talk about trying to normalize things. The lobsters of the trees LOL. Well hey at least during the zombie apocalypse we'll know what's edible. Merica won't starve we'll just eat bugs.

But not before then.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Waffledynamics
9:33a, 5/7/24
Ah yes, add this article to the list when someone calls it a conspiracy theory that some people are trying to normalize the idea of eating bugs.
Phatbob
9:33a, 5/7/24
In reply to techno-ag
I think you are mistaking Lobster as not a bug. It basically is... a big, expensive, socially acceptable to eat bug.
Dr. Mephisto
9:34a, 5/7/24
No.
Logos Stick
9:34a, 5/7/24
There are civilizations that also eat people.

**** liberals.
Ag87H2O
9:36a, 5/7/24

No thanks. The last person that got to tell me what to eat was my mom about 45 years ago.

I'll take a good sirloin or ribeye steak. Let the useful idiots eat the bugs.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
9:36a, 5/7/24
My head's been hurtin', my back's been achin'
The water's dryin' up, there's a hole in the makin'
People eatin' bugs 'cause they won't eat bacon
Doggonit
rocky the dog
9:37a, 5/7/24
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Teslag
9:39a, 5/7/24
In reply to Waffledynamics
Waffledynamics said:

Ah yes, add this article to the list when someone calls it a conspiracy theory that some people are trying to normalize the idea of eating bugs.

Globally, it's already normal to eat bugs. I find the idea degusting, but that's because I wasn't raised on them. I generally will try any food but would refuse to eat any insect.
DrEvazanPhD
9:39a, 5/7/24
In reply to Phatbob
Phatbob said:

I think you are mistaking Lobster as not a bug. It basically is... a big, expensive, socially acceptable to eat bug.
The cockroach of the sea!
BadMoonRisin
9:42a, 5/7/24
In reply to rocky the dog
damn, rocky, you really do have a meme for everything. this one was deep.
Kraft Punk
9:46a, 5/7/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

Waffledynamics said:

Globally, it's already normal to eat bugs. I find the idea degusting, but that's because I wasn't raised on them. I generally will try any food but would refuse to eat any insect.

Until the govt mandates it

Then you'll be on here letting everyone know that eating bugs is safe, free, & effective
BadMoonRisin
9:47a, 5/7/24
In reply to Teslag
You fell for the china flu bootleg ass vaccine bull****, and "stacking bodies" cheap in Ukraine.... you'll absolutely fall for next Current Thing without question, again.

Look at your username ffs.
rocky the dog
9:48a, 5/7/24
In reply to BadMoonRisin
Quote:

damn, rocky, you really do have a meme for everything. this one was deep.

Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Spotted Ag
9:49a, 5/7/24
Lobsters, crawfish, snails. Who knows, maybe we are missing out. I'll still choose meat first.
Muy
9:51a, 5/7/24
Freaks
American Hardwood
9:58a, 5/7/24
In reply to Spotted Ag
Spotted Ag said:

Lobsters, crawfish, snails. Who knows, maybe we are missing out. I'll still choose meat first.
[Sesame Street Music] One of these things is not like the others....
Teslag
9:59a, 5/7/24
In reply to Kraft Punk
Kraft Punk said:

Teslag said:

Waffledynamics said:

Until the govt mandates it

Then you'll be on here letting everyone know that eating bugs is safe, free, & effective

Except I am against all mandates from the government and would likewise be against any regarding food choice. There was a topic last week where DeSantis banned food choice in Florida and I was fervently against that as well while many "conservatives" were on board.
peacedude
9:59a, 5/7/24
"I like to think of cicadas as just another ingredient."

The way that sentence flowed, it read to me like the Coke jingle from the 70's.

Sort of.

I'd like to teach the world to eat
The perfect sub for meat
I'd like to hold the vomit down
To keep it from spewing
MD1993
10:07a, 5/7/24
My beef is identified as a June Bug. So I am woke and in line with the futurist.
Maroon Dawn
10:08a, 5/7/24
The Leftist paradise of the future:

Eat the bugs

Live in the pod

Own nothing

Never question your serfdom

TexAg1987
10:10a, 5/7/24
I may have to eat bugs, but I will NEVER enjoy it.
Aggie95
10:11a, 5/7/24
Trillions of cicadas are appearing in the US right now....perhaps we should make that the "go-to" staple for all illegal immigrant shelters, prisons, etc. If it's so good for "the rest of us"...there should be no complaining.
Ayto Siks
10:12a, 5/7/24
Desantis is from the future, and he's here to save us.
VegasAg86
10:14a, 5/7/24
I guess my shellfish allergy will finally be a good thing.
Joes
10:18a, 5/7/24
In reply to Spotted Ag
Spotted Ag said:

Yeah, I'm personally not interested in eating bugs, but this sort of thing is really a matter of what you're used to. Hell, some people in Asia and South America eat fried tarantula. But I know people here in Texas that eat brains, and cow eyes, and pig's feet, etc. I've tried all sorts of odd things myself including octopus, haggis, escargot, baby eel, blood pudding, rattlesnake, and armadillo, to just to name a few.

Heck, none of that is really more disgusting than Velveeta cheese or a McDonald's combo once you know what's in it.
Teslag
10:25a, 5/7/24
In reply to Joes
I once watched a YouTube video of Chinese people trying cheese for the first time. Most found it disgusting.
SunrayAg
10:25a, 5/7/24
Just as long as we have a good supply of Brawndo we'll be fine.

Gotta have those electrolytes…
AggieVictor10
10:34a, 5/7/24
In reply to rocky the dog
rocky the dog said:

Government appointed and mandatory theyfriend*
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024
AggieRain
10:35a, 5/7/24
Meh. I've been referring to shrimp as "sea roaches" for years...
BQ_90
10:36a, 5/7/24
rats are protein, they should just eats rats, it's a renewable resource in NYC
Malibu
10:38a, 5/7/24
In reply to Joes
Joes said:

Spotted Ag said:

Yeah, I'm personally not interested in eating bugs, but this sort of thing is really a matter of what you're used to. Hell, some people in Asia and South America eat fried tarantula. But I know people here in Texas that eat brains, and cow eyes, and pig's feet, etc. I've tried all sorts of odd things myself including octopus, haggis, escargot, baby eel, blood pudding, rattlesnake, and armadillo, to just to name a few.

Heck, none of that is really more disgusting than Velveeta cheese or a McDonald's combo once you know what's in it.
The summary of the last thread is that eating bugs or lab grown meat is gross, we should ban it before liberals ban steaks and force us to eat bugs, or just ban it because it makes liberals squeal and that's a worthy goal in and of itself.

As others have mentioned, if you've spent some time traveling the globe and mingling with locals off the beaten path, there's a certainty you've swallowed (quite literally) your pride and eaten things that don't conform to Western palates so as not to offend your host. Or you ate escargot in Paris because you're curious and why not.

I think the use case for bug protein in the West is going to be limited to extracting the raw protein and making a cheaper or just differently marketed protein supplement for workouts and elderly / infirm. If it's just a scoop of protein powder I mix in my smoothie, I for one don't particularly care for the comic book origin story of my powder, just that it works as advertised.
sleepybeagle
10:44a, 5/7/24
My chickens eat bugs and then I eat my chickens.

fyi - that's how a food chain should work.
sleepybeagle
Logos Stick
10:44a, 5/7/24
In reply to Joes
I don't give a damn what people eat. Neither does anyone else in this board.

This is about mandating what everyone eats in the name of the cult of climate change.

Forget the fact that world population is soon to peak and begin a significant decline.

Also, we are rapidly moving into the second dark ages. The dumb ****s invading this country will be using horses for transportation and wood for heat in the future because they are too damn stupid to maintain a first world electrical/gas grid and means of transportation. The air in the US doesn't make a person smart.

Those two things in and of themselves will dramatically reduce CO2.
Joes
10:46a, 5/7/24
In reply to AggieRain
AggieRain said:

Meh. I've been referring to shrimp as "sea roaches" for years...
And they basically are. And people who eat and love crawfish proudly call them mud bugs. And no, they aren't insects, but they are arthropods which includes spiders and scorpions and mites, etc. I can't stand crawfish but I know people who would live on them if they could. And just hearing them say they're excited to eat a bucket of bugs is gross.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 4
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings