Flying electric cars are on the way
4,862 Views | 81 Replies
techno-ag
6:51p, 5/7/24
Two manufacturers say they are nearing delivery. First up is the Jetson One. (Seriously that's the name).

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/watch-the-newest-version-of-the-personal-jet-phenomenon-jetson-one-in-action-233455.html

Coming in at $120k it's about on par with a nice luxury car. Made in Italy. Current foreseeable production is spoken for but you can put down an $8,000 deposit.

The second is the Pivotal Helix (no seriously, that's the name).

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/pivotal-helix-evtol-deliveries-july/

This one will set you back $180k for the base model. Go up to a quarter million for a nice trailer to tow it around.

Both are essentially man-carrying drones (how do you define a woman anyway?) with a 210lb load limit, so no fatties. One person, battery operated, goes for 20 minutes at a top speed of 60 mph or so before needing to be recharged. Vertical take off and landing.

In many ways these suffer from the same limitations and range anxiety as EVs. But they could change things in a metro setting I guess. Like if you didn't need to go far and could recharge often.

No special license they say is needed. I guess it doesn't go that high.

Hm. A flying golf cart?

If they get popular expect more regulations soon.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Sid Farkas
6:57p, 5/7/24
Great. Now I gotta add 'cars falling from the sky' to the list of **** to watch out for
BTHOB-98
6:57p, 5/7/24
Listen to Elon Musk talk about this on Joe Rogan's podcasts. This will be so loud and so annoying.
Psycho Bunny
7:00p, 5/7/24
In reply to Sid Farkas
Sid Farkas said:

Great. Now I gotta add 'cars falling from the sky' to the list of **** to watch out for
Another reason for insurance company's to go up on our rates.
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
Isosceles_Kramer
7:04p, 5/7/24
Women Fliers, am I right guys
Moe Jzyslak
7:06p, 5/7/24
The Jetsons was a garbage cartoon
P.U.T.U
7:08p, 5/7/24
Uber paid Bell a ton for a quiet helicopter for cities and here we are almost a decade later and they still aren't available to the public. Says something
BenFiasco14
7:53p, 5/7/24
Your mamas so fat she can't even pilot her own flying car
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Fightin_Aggie
7:55p, 5/7/24
In reply to Moe Jzyslak
Moe Jzyslak said:

The Jetsons was a garbage cartoon

Flinstones for the win
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
YouBet
8:00p, 5/7/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

Two manufacturers say they are nearing delivery. First up is the Jetson One. (Seriously that's the name).

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/watch-the-newest-version-of-the-personal-jet-phenomenon-jetson-one-in-action-233455.html

Coming in at $120k it's about on par with a nice luxury car. Made in Italy. Current foreseeable production is spoken for but you can put down an $8,000 deposit.

The second is the Pivotal Helix (no seriously, that's the name).

This one will set you back $180k for the base model. Go up to a quarter million for a nice trailer to tow it around.

Both are essentially man-carrying drones (how do you define a woman anyway?) with a 210lb load limit, so no fatties. One person, battery operated, goes for 20 minutes at a top speed of 60 mph or so before needing to be recharged. Vertical take off and landing.

In many ways these suffer from the same limitations and range anxiety as EVs. But they could change things in a metro setting I guess. Like if you didn't need to go far and could recharge often.

No special license they say is needed. I guess it doesn't go that high.

Hm. A flying golf cart?

If they get popular expect more regulations soon.

More tech that as a kid I was enamored with. Now I'm against this and hope it doesn't come to fruition because it would be annoying as *****

#old
PA24
8:04p, 5/7/24
Dorks only will be flying that
techno-ag
8:29p, 5/7/24
In reply to YouBet
Yeah. I mean where you gonna go in it? If I could zip out from the golf course and land on a building at A&M then maybe it's useful. But you can't go more than 10 minutes away from your charging base before you have to turn around and go back.

Dare I say it? It's the Tesla of flying cars.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BQ78
8:39p, 5/7/24
In reply to Fightin_Aggie
Funny, I always thought they were the same cartoon and characters. One was set in an industrial Stone Age and the other in the industrial future.
The Fife
8:42p, 5/7/24
You know what, if it takes seems cars off the freeway and leaves room for other drivers I'm all for it
BonfireNerd04
8:45p, 5/7/24
No thanks. We have enough bad drivers in two dimensions.
BCG Disciple
9:03p, 5/7/24
Be careful shooting down drones flying over your property.
agdoc2001
9:13p, 5/7/24
I don't see where I could hang my truck nuts from.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BQ78
9:18p, 5/7/24
In reply to agdoc2001
Hang 'em on a string and teabag people as you fly over them
Wearer of the Ring
9:30p, 5/7/24
I'm an old so when I get one I'll fly with one of my blinkers always on.
FJB
Decay
9:34p, 5/7/24
The guy is a blowhard but Neil deGrasse Tyson nailed this one. What's a 1-6 person vehicle capable of landing in a yard and flying you around the city? It's a damn helicopter. They've been ubiquitous for 70 years. A "flying car" is sci-fi. Not real.
samsal75
9:47p, 5/7/24
These will be difficult to clean off the windshield???
wamvoss
9:50p, 5/7/24
Unless it qualifies as an ultralight (under 254 #) it will require an air worthiness certificate and registration. It will also require a light sport license.
PlaneCrashGuy
9:56p, 5/7/24
In reply to Decay
Decay said:

The guy is a blowhard but Neil deGrasse Tyson nailed this one. What's a 1-6 person vehicle capable of landing in a yard and flying you around the city? It's a damn helicopter. They've been ubiquitous for 70 years. A "flying car" is sci-fi. Not real.

When they say flying car they mean helicopter bur everyone has one.
Muy
10:19p, 5/7/24
In reply to The Fife
The Fife said:

You know what, if it takes seems cars off the freeway and leaves room for other drivers I'm all for it

I can't imagine there being enough safe air space for this to make a single dent in car traffic.
American Hardwood
10:29p, 5/7/24
The first time some idiot flies into a power line will probably put an end to "flying cars".
Cromagnum
10:31p, 5/7/24
The day after people buy those things.

VitruvianAg
10:39p, 5/7/24
This is the way...they are quieter than a helo with a range of 150 miles and you don't worry about blades chopping you in half. They are rolling out the larger 7+ passenger commercial fleet before the smaller personal VTOL jet.

Shooz in Katy
11:36p, 5/7/24
Parachutes are built into these things, right? Still won't protect them from power lines when they lose power mid air.
Ag with kids
11:43p, 5/7/24
In reply to Decay
Decay said:

Helicopters have rotors.

These vehicles have propellers.

And I disagree that regulations just let them operate in the NAS with no restrictions...
techno-ag
4:40a, 5/8/24
In reply to wamvoss
wamvoss said:

Unless it qualifies as an ultralight (under 254 #) it will require an air worthiness certificate and registration. It will also require a light sport license.
Both claim no liscence required.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
nortex97
4:51a, 5/8/24
In reply to Isosceles_Kramer
Isosceles_Kramer said:

Women Fliers, am I right guys
Must….resist…asian drivers joke. Oh I'll just let him make them;

Newoldarmy
6:09a, 5/8/24
Really surprised at some of the responses on here. I think this or something very much like this will be the next major step in transportation. It may be with an internal combustion component, but our roads are a problem.

Surface transportation construction project costs in crowded corridors are becoming prohibitively expensive and they're near impossible to build because of restricted rights of way in a lot of areas.

Electric cars are a joke and new transportation technology needs to develop to bypass them. This direction seems the most logical.
BudFox7
6:44a, 5/8/24
Lol. No, it's not the future of transport on earth.
Aggie Jurist
6:45a, 5/8/24
One small bird strike of a blade - and you are now riding a rock to the ground - rapidly.
LGB
747Ag
6:47a, 5/8/24
eVTOL... yet another fad
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >