They Should Rename It The British Army Knife
2,138 Views | 19 Replies
Squadron7
2:55p, 5/8/24
Quote:

It's a Swiss Army knife... without that bothersome knife part.

Swiss firm Victorinox has made a huge assortment of its iconic pocket knives for more than a century, going all the way back to 1897. Depending on the size, you might find everything from a can opener to a saw to a magnifying glass and even surprisingly sharp little scissors.

The one thing two things, actually you could count on finding in the bigger models were a longer blade of almost three inches and a shorter blade an inch or so long.

Until now.

In Britain. That's where Victorinox will soon introduce "the first range of bladeless products designed specifically for activities where a blade would not be required," according to the Guardian. The reason, if you hadn't already guessed, is to combat ("Word choice!") "what an English judge last week called the 'plague of knife crime.'"

Link
Slicer97
2:59p, 5/8/24
A blade is the most useful tool you can carry in your pocket. You don't really see multi-tools that don't feature a blade of some sort. There's a reason for that.

If you ever encounter a man who isn't carrying a pocketknife, check his wife's purse. It'll be there, right next to his balls.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
3:03p, 5/8/24
Wow. The British are a bunch of p*ssies.
American Hardwood
3:06p, 5/8/24
The Swiss army knife does not feature a locking blade. Anyone stupid enough to try to get into a knife fight with someone is likely to get their own fingers cut off when the blade collapses. This is stupid virtue signaling that will have zero effect on stabbings.
Joes
3:11p, 5/8/24
In reply to Hubert J. Farnsworth
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

And yet there's a thread from yesterday where a few people were fist pumping about the Brits starting a new crusade.
Burrus86
3:13p, 5/8/24
A knife is a tool. How are they going to castrate their livestock? With their teeth?
LoudestWHOOP!
3:18p, 5/8/24
In reply to Burrus86
Burrus86 said:

A knife is a tool. How are they going to castrate their livestock? With their teeth?
You may not want to know the answer to that!
jrdaustin
3:19p, 5/8/24
OP, No. Not the British Army Knife.

but

The British Army Not-a-knife.
bobbranco
3:26p, 5/8/24
The British are tools.

outofstateaggie
3:38p, 5/8/24
In reply to Slicer97
Slicer97 said:

A blade is the most useful tool you can carry in your pocket. You don't really see multi-tools that don't feature a blade of some sort. There's a reason for that.

If you ever encounter a man who isn't carrying a pocketknife, check his wife's purse. It'll be there, right next to his balls.

LoudestWHOOP!
3:42p, 5/8/24
Reminds me of this from decades ago
rednecked
3:55p, 5/8/24
peak swiss army knife awesomeness! except you ain't getting this thing in your pocket!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
5:14p, 5/8/24
In reply to Hubert J. Farnsworth
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

From "we'll fight them on the beaches … and streets" to this.
#FJB
aggiehawg
5:51p, 5/8/24
In reply to Burrus86
Burrus86 said:

Yes. That's how they still castrate sheep in most parts of the world.
rab79
6:02p, 5/8/24
In reply to aggiehawg

These are "teeth"
techno-ag
6:10p, 5/8/24
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Burnsey
6:19p, 5/8/24
You might be surprised to learn just how useful a Swiss Army knife is. Just ask OJ…oh wait.
chickencoupe16
6:30p, 5/8/24
In reply to American Hardwood
American Hardwood said:

The Swiss army knife does not feature a locking blade. Anyone stupid enough to try to get into a knife fight with someone is likely to get their own fingers cut off when the blade collapses. This is stupid virtue signaling that will have zero effect on stabbings.

You're looking at the wrong ones then. I carry a Ranger 74 that I've had since 2017 with a locking blade. Before that, I carried another model with a locking blade that I got in 2010.
Naveronski
6:59p, 5/8/24
You're missing the part where they'll continue to make the regular knives, too.

But facts aren't as much fun as outrage.

I'm looking forward to it; I fly often and can't carry my regular knife. Having a small multitool that can still get past TSA would be helpful for me.
APHIS AG
7:48p, 5/8/24
In reply to Squadron7
Squadron7 said:

Quote:

It's a Swiss Army knife... without that bothersome knife part.

Swiss firm Victorinox has made a huge assortment of its iconic pocket knives for more than a century, going all the way back to 1897. Depending on the size, you might find everything from a can opener to a saw to a magnifying glass and even surprisingly sharp little scissors.

The one thing two things, actually you could count on finding in the bigger models were a longer blade of almost three inches and a shorter blade an inch or so long.

Until now.

In Britain. That's where Victorinox will soon introduce "the first range of bladeless products designed specifically for activities where a blade would not be required," according to the Guardian. The reason, if you hadn't already guessed, is to combat ("Word choice!") "what an English judge last week called the 'plague of knife crime.'"

Link
It does not matter what Britain "bans" for criminals will always be criminals and will use anything available as a weapon. The British have banned guns, swords and knives over three inches and crime is still be committed.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings