- 1000 planets to fully explore in over 100 systems
- fully customizable bases, starships, weapons
- biggest character creation system yet
- Bethesda mod support as usual
- Gameplay changes based upon gravity
- combat on the ground and in space
- numerous factions to choose from
- can hire people to work in your bases

This make be their biggest game yet and with a focus on exploration. This looks to be Mass Effect taken to another level with far more options.

My only concern is that it may be too ambitious but everything I have seen so far looks great.
wangus12
7:11p, 6/12/22
Full mod support is really going to make those repeatable planets something else when the users get to working on them
Breggy Popup
7:34p, 6/12/22
My goodness. That has me quite excited!
BAP Enthusiast
7:36p, 6/12/22
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Full mod support is really going to make those repeatable planets something else when the users get to working on them

Mod support will also allow for fans of other sci-fi series like Star Trek, Star Wars, stargate, etc. to create their own ships and bases. You know people are drooling at the opportunity to do so.
jr15aggie
7:41p, 6/12/22
One thing that jumped out from the gameplay video... this will most likely be my favorite game soundtrack since the original Halo games.

Feels like this perfect blend of Star Wars and Star Trek melodies. Just fantastic.
mickeyrig06sq3
8:17p, 6/12/22
In reply to BAP Enthusiast
BAP Enthusiast said:

wangus12 said:

Mod support will also allow for fans of other sci-fi series like Star Trek, Star Wars, stargate, etc. to create their own ships and bases. You know people are drooling at the opportunity to do so.

OASIS Phase 1?
NewOldAg
7:28a, 6/13/22
No one's brought up Star Citizen on this yet, but SC is struggling to make a game that size and fill it with content.

I'm certainly intrigued by Bethesda and MSFT's backing. Especially if there are any multiplayer components.
jr15aggie
7:40a, 6/13/22
My biggest concern with the game is the framerate. The shooting section looked to be 30 fps with drops.

For me, they are gonna have to offer a 60 fps performance mode. It's only been a short while since the Series X came out, but I just can't go back to 30 anymore. Too blury and clunky.

The good news is they have a lot of time to optimize the game. The bad news is that was a demo sequence they put together, most likely running on a top end PC.
Claude!
8:35a, 6/13/22
In reply to jr15aggie
jr15aggie said:

My biggest concern with the game is the framerate. The shooting section looked to be 30 fps with drops.

For me, they are gonna have to offer a 60 fps performance mode. It's only been a short while since the Series X came out, but I just can't go back to 30 anymore. Too blury and clunky.

The good news is they have a lot of time to optimize the game. The bad news is that was a demo sequence they put together, most likely running on a top end PC.
Not really a Bethesda strong suite. On the bright side, I expect we'll wind up seeing optimization mods pretty quickly, just like we did for Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
Pookers
9:14a, 6/13/22
So are they still using the same ****ty engine from morrowind?
Claude!
9:23a, 6/13/22
In reply to Pookers
Pookers said:

Sort of. I believe Morrowind used what I think was then called the Gamebryo engine, which was a proprietary Bethesda engine. The Gamebryo engine was heavily overhauled/remade into Creation Engine, which powered Skyrim and Fallout 4. The Creation Engine has in turn been heavily overhauled/updated/iterated into Creation Engine 2, which is what Starfield and TESVI are being built on.

Kind of a Ship of Theseus situation.
Pookers
9:30a, 6/13/22
In reply to Claude!
Claude! said:

Pookers said:

Sort of. I believe Morrowind used what I think was then called the Gamebryo engine, which was a proprietary Bethesda engine. The Gamebryo engine was heavily overhauled/remade into Creation Engine, which powered Skyrim and Fallout 4. The Creation Engine has in turn been heavily overhauled/updated/iterated into Creation Engine 2, which is what Starfield and TESVI are being built on.

So they are still massively tied down to a 20 year old engine. They need to free themselves of this engine at some point but they clearly have no interest in doing so.
BAP Enthusiast
9:42a, 6/13/22
In reply to Pookers
Pookers said:

Claude! said:

Pookers said:

So they are still massively tied down to a 20 year old engine. They need to free themselves of this engine at some point but they clearly have no interest in doing so.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

*gets launched into orbit from an alien bug swinging a claw like a hammer*
Pookers
10:05a, 6/13/22
BAP Enthusiast said:

Pookers said:

Claude! said:

Pookers said:

As much as I rip on bethesda, I've bought every game they've made (except fallout 76) since Morrowind and will get roped in to buying starfield as well. Some of the bugs are quite funny.
jr15aggie
11:11a, 6/13/22
In reply to Pookers
Quote:

As much as I rip on bethesda, I've bought every game they've made (except fallout 76) since Morrowind and will get roped in to buying starfield as well. Some of the bugs are quite funny.

Doesn't sound like I'll have to "buy it"... but yeah, totally gonna play it. Space exploration type games & movies are some of my favorites.

Really really need them to give us a performance mode that hovers close to 60 fps (my TVs VRR can clean up most of the drops), but I will definitely be putting time into this at some point regardless.
YouBet
11:59a, 6/13/22
This will be my first full price purchase since Witcher III. Looks awesome.

And as long as the Bethesda bugs don't break the game I've always kind of enjoyed them. Adds some character to the game.
Ark03
12:05p, 6/13/22
Eh. How is this not a remake of No Man's Sky? 1000s of worlds just means repetitive procedurally generated worlds and/or creatures, and we've all played dozens of games by now that have the other features. Unless they can nail it on execution (which is not Bethesda's strong suit), I'm not getting excited about it.
YouBet
12:09p, 6/13/22
In reply to Ark03
Ark03 said:

Eh. How is this not a remake of No Man's Sky? 1000s of worlds just means repetitive procedurally generated worlds and/or creatures, and we've all played dozens of games by now that have the other features. Unless they can nail it on execution (which is not Bethesda's strong suit), I'm not getting excited about it.
Considering this is Bethesda, the real value here will be the mods.
HossAg
12:50p, 6/13/22
Can't wait for my 3070ti to run this game at 40 fps
Pookers
1:00p, 6/13/22
In reply to HossAg
HossAg said:

Can't wait for my 3070ti to run this game at 40 fps
Yep, I have a 6 year old computer at this point so I'll probably defer the upgrade until next year.
Pookers
1:05p, 6/13/22
In reply to Ark03
Ark03 said:

I agree, this just looks like a rip off of No Man's sky. I like Fallout 4 and Skyrim (even though they aren't really RPGs) so I'll give starfield a chance. Hopefully TESVI is more of an RPG than a barbie play house simulator. I liked skyrims house building DLC and it shouldn't be much more than that.
DallasTeleAg
2:29p, 6/13/22
How is this a rip off of No Man's Sky? I couldn't get past an hour or so of No Man's Sky, and I'm sure this one will take many hours of my time.

I find it funny how people with absolutely no experience playing a game outside of a 10-minute brief gameplay trailer can simply say it's a rip off of anything. What I saw in this trailer looked 100x more fun than what I experienced in No Man's Sky.
wangus12
2:31p, 6/13/22
I think people are saying that because of the multitude of regenerating explorable planets.

I'm with you that I couldn't get into NMS, but this looks infinitely better than that.
DallasTeleAg
2:43p, 6/13/22
In reply to wangus12
Yeah... but it's literally just one mechanic of the game. The fact that there seems to be living cities on the main system with various factions to join, space pirates, and all manner of other mechanics simply makes it a completely different game. To just go on a forum and say, "No Man's Sky rip-off" is quite the cop-out.

As I mentioned earlier, the idea of recruiting a crew to work your ship, or a station you build, sounds amazing in theory. Now, we'll see how it's all executed. I just love the idea of being my own version of Captain Reynolds. I'm sure if you want to go exploring all the procedurally generated planets, you can. If you just want to play the main story and visit the more heavily created planets, you also can. It's up to the player.

I also agree that the modding community is going to go crazy for this. I'm sure we'll start getting modders releasing their entire created planet with things to do and explore. As a player, I build my ship, recruit my crew, and download the dozens of modder planets that look interesting for exploration.

Seems like a blast if they really are able to execute.
YouBet
2:52p, 6/13/22
In reply to DallasTeleAg
DallasTeleAg said:

Yeah... but it's literally just one mechanic of the game. The fact that there seems to be living cities on the main system with various factions to join, space pirates, and all manner of other mechanics simply makes it a completely different game. To just go on a forum and say, "No Man's Sky rip-off" is quite the cop-out.

As I mentioned earlier, the idea of recruiting a crew to work your ship, or a station you build, sounds amazing in theory. Now, we'll see how it's all executed. I just love the idea of being my own version of Captain Reynolds. I'm sure if you want to go exploring all the procedurally generated planets, you can. If you just want to play the main story and visit the more heavily created planets, you also can. It's up to the player.

I also agree that the modding community is going to go crazy for this. I'm sure we'll start getting modders releasing their entire created planet with things to do and explore. As a player, I build my ship, recruit my crew, and download the dozens of modder planets that look interesting for exploration.

Seems like a blast if they really are able to execute.
Agreed. Modders will go nuts with this. There will be lone planets that I bet will be 100+ hour games in and of themselves. There are infinite possibilities here.
jr15aggie
2:59p, 6/13/22
Hoping they have some good "treasure" hunting as the bait to explore these thousands of planets. For me, part of the appeal of Skyrim was always "I wonder what's in that cave" diversions.

If done properly it will be extremely fun to find certain hints and get pulled into exploring some far away system/planet. I could care less if most of the planet is AI generated, you just need to find that one area that was created with a purpose.
jr15aggie
4:18p, 6/13/22
FYI the frame by frame internet nerds have shown that there is a clip from the reveal (See 8:17 in video below) that clearly shows a moon lander pod and a old re-entry pod with "United States" written on it. Looks to be a NASA museum or something. I also remember seeing what looked like an old broken down Mars rover at some point and reference to "SOL Date" in the video.

So our home system appears to be confirmed for the game and visiting / exploring our solar systems appears to be on the agenda. I guess I had just assumed it would be a fictional galaxy so this is pretty neat I guess.

DallasTeleAg
5:12p, 6/13/22
In reply to jr15aggie
Yeah, I recognized the use of our Sol date, meaning we are in our reality.
zip04
5:48p, 6/13/22
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

This will be my first full price purchase since Witcher III. Looks awesome.

And as long as the Bethesda bugs don't break the game I've always kind of enjoyed them. Adds some character to the game.
As someone who loved Witcher III, Elden Ring is definitely worth paying full price for.

Looking forward to seeing more from this game.
wangus12
6:18p, 6/13/22
Definitely see a Lunar lander and rover, Gemini and Apollo capsules, small scale of the Mir space station, and there is a scene with a Spirit/Opportunity style rover on a red planet.

Also when it pulls out on the galaxy showing systems, it says Sol System.

Ark03
9:15p, 6/13/22
In reply to DallasTeleAg
DallasTeleAg said:

How is this a rip off of No Man's Sky? I couldn't get past an hour or so of No Man's Sky, and I'm sure this one will take many hours of my time.

I find it funny how people with absolutely no experience playing a game outside of a 10-minute brief gameplay trailer can simply say it's a rip off of anything. What I saw in this trailer looked 100x more fun than what I experienced in No Man's Sky.
I said it looks like that... from what we could all see in the 10-minute brief gameplay trailer. And if you played NMS early, then that's a completely different game than the one it became (not that I was ever a huge NMS fan, but I've played both the early release and the latest versions).

The gameplay just looks and feels like NMS. From the planet graphics to the walking animations to the mining/gathering look and feel and mechanics, to the base building - it just feels like NMS to me. And yes, a huge thing they're advertising is a thousand planets, which is also a similarity.

As I said before, we'll see how they execute on the subtleties, on the story (which feels very much like an afterthought in NMS), and yes, on what the community does with mods. I'm glad to see new games, but I'm holding out to see what the end product actually looks like before I get excited about this.
Cromagnum
9:18a, 6/14/22
BAP Enthusiast said:

Pookers said:

Claude! said:

Pookers said:

If something doesn't hit me hard enough to knock my lifeless body all the way to an adjacent planet, I'm not buying it.
BAP Enthusiast
10:59a, 6/14/22
In reply to Cromagnum
Cromagnum said:

BAP Enthusiast said:

Pookers said:

Claude! said:

Pookers said:

If something doesn't hit me hard enough to knock my lifeless body all the way to an adjacent planet, I'm not buying it.

I want an enemy that hits you so hard it engages the games' Spaceship FTL.
bluefire579
12:20p, 6/14/22
In reply to Pookers
Pookers said:

Claude! said:

Pookers said:

Creating a proprietary engine from scratch is a whole lot of work, and unlike companies like Epic, they're not licensing it out to other studios, so they're only going to have a small internal team building it with other internal devs as their customers. Given what's come out in the reports from Fallout 76, their Maryland studios don't have *that* big of a team period, and that's going to be spread across a couple of different games.

If they were to switch engines, to UE5 for example, then you're almost starting from the ground up, both in terms of building the game, as well as training the team in how to use it. You're also placing risk in terms of that engine's limitations (for example, Unreal has always been limited in open world, and while UE5 introduces new features in that regard, that's still going to take some time to work out the kinks), instead of dealing with a known quantity in your internal engine.

The new engine will be much improved, just as the original Creation Engine was for Skyrim and FO4. It'll probably have some of the same idiosyncrasies, but the footage they've shown certainly already looks much better than past games.
DallasTeleAg
1:18p, 6/14/22
I thought I remember watching an interview where they said they would be using the creation engine for the last time with Starfield.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 25
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings