Computer parts question…
830 Views | 18 Replies
OnlyForNow
12:04p, 4/29/24
Is there any value to this or the components?

CPU is trash otherwise, RAM and hard drive are removed.

FatZilla
12:57p, 4/29/24
Used 400w mustard wire PS, nope. Just trash it or ewaste recycle it.

The tiny addon card in the pci express slot, probably no value. Maby a few bucks on ebay but you'll spend more time and effort on it than its worth.
TMoney2007
2:55p, 4/29/24
Not really. Its a very low power PSU and the motherboard is 6 or 7 generations old. If you have a need for a mid-range computer and access to a CPU and ram it could be useful for plenty of things.

Its just not really worth it to buy or to go out and try to buy the components you need.
OnlyForNow
3:47p, 4/29/24
Appreciate the replies. It'll be going in the trash tomorrow.
The Fife
10:39a, 4/30/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
Oof, that's a solid 3-4 gens newer than what I'm using. How much to ship the motherboard and CPU?
OnlyForNow
12:31p, 4/30/24
In reply to The Fife
Fack I just put it in the dumpster but it's right on top. I'll get it out this after noon when I get back to the office and take it apart.

I'll figure just a flat rate box and we'll figure it out. Do you want the PS?
FatZilla
1:15p, 4/30/24
Cpu and mobo swap are a nightmare on older systems just FYI before you jump into this rabbit hole unless you are reinstalling the os along with the swap. You will be running command line fixes from a boot disk/drive of some sort like a Ubuntu os to go in and wipe out a lot of things in the windows hidden folders to get it to boot most likely. Just changing a mobo with the same cpu on an old 7 system when it died took hours of troubleshooting to get it to finally boot again when i had to do this.
The Fife
1:28p, 4/30/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
Nah my power supply is pretty new along with the case. The motherboard, memory, and processor came with a video card I bought a couple of years ago when they were still overpriced, and I just ran with it
OnlyForNow
9:20p, 4/30/24
In reply to FatZilla
No hard drive, so no windows to boot from? Or… am I wrong?
FatZilla
10:13p, 4/30/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

If hes using his old drive + your newer parts i mean.
OnlyForNow
7:34a, 5/1/24
In reply to The Fife
I gutted it yesterday and have everything. PM me your address and I'll flat rate ship it today.

I'll let you know what it costs, but won't be more than 10 bucks probably.
FatZilla
8:52a, 5/1/24
Usps flatrate has gone up quite a bit. See flatrate section for pricing.
https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm
OnlyForNow
9:05a, 5/1/24
In reply to FatZilla
USPS is a bunch of crooks.

Looks like it'll be between 10 and 20 bucks, if you still want it.

The Fife
9:07a, 5/1/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
Sure, my little guy just turned 8 so it'll be good for him to watch and help out. He actually likes stuff like this but I'm not exactly eager to open things up for him to poke around and look at unless I actually need to.
The Fife
9:29a, 5/1/24
In reply to FatZilla
FatZilla said:

OnlyForNow said:

It's decent timing - there isn't a crazy amount of stuff on there right now since I've been using the laptop for most things. I'll just throw Windows 10, Office, VLC, Steam, and whatever else ends up needed when I realize I want to use it.
OnlyForNow
11:23a, 5/1/24
Boxing up and will be on its way.

All comments in sealed up bags. All screws are together in one baggie with the heat sink fins. Black screws connect the fan to the heat sink fins, sliver screws are for the mother board, finger screw is for the WiFi card.
FatZilla
12:12p, 5/1/24
In reply to The Fife
The Fife said:

FatZilla said:

OnlyForNow said:

It's decent timing - there isn't a crazy amount of stuff on there right now since I've been using the laptop for most things. I'll just throw Windows 10, Office, VLC, Steam, and whatever else ends up needed when I realize I want to use it.

Ya you should be good then. As long as you have enough old ram for 10 to run.
Cromagnum
3:28p, 5/1/24
In reply to FatZilla
FatZilla said:

Cpu and mobo swap are a nightmare on older systems just FYI before you jump into this rabbit hole unless you are reinstalling the os along with the swap. You will be running command line fixes from a boot disk/drive of some sort like a Ubuntu os to go in and wipe out a lot of things in the windows hidden folders to get it to boot most likely. Just changing a mobo with the same cpu on an old 7 system when it died took hours of troubleshooting to get it to finally boot again when i had to do this.

Yep. I'm pretty much a ride it until the cpu or mobo dies or shows it's age too much, and then just rebuild the whole thing. Might sell a GPU but the rest gets scrapped.
The Fife
7:01a, 5/2/24
In reply to FatZilla
FatZilla said:

The Fife said:

FatZilla said:

OnlyForNow said:

Ya you should be good then. As long as you have enough old ram for 10 to run.
The current setup has either 24 or 32GB of DDR3 - 4 slots filled, 2 are 8s. A couple friends have some DDR4 left over, up for whoever wanted it with no takers but I doubt it'll be too bad if I have to order some.

I'm tempted to throw this in my brothers incredibly ugly, 2007 Alienware case. Right now that has an overclocked Q6600 setup but hasn't been used for much in a while now. Either way my 8 year old is about to have a hands on lesson on computer upgrading.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings