Time to upgrade PC
1,546 Views | 21 Replies
agracer
9:50a, 5/2/24
Running an older desktop/tower PC at the house and it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Got a video project I've starting on and need to upgrade. Running Adobe Elements (Photoshop/Premier)

Running a Windows PC my whole life but use Apple mobile devices.

Was thinking of switching to a Mac

Considering either one of these. I would add an external drive to both of them and I do also have online storage for back up.

MacBook Pro
14" M3, 512SSD, 16GB Ram
M3 8Core Chip, 10-Core GPU | 16-Core Neural Engine

MacMini M2 Pro
1TB SSD, 16GB Ram
M2 10 Core Chip, 16-Core GPU | 16-Core Neural Engine

Like the idea of something more mobile since my video project will involve some travel and would like the ability to back up stuff quickly and not saving it on the camera storage card. However, seems like I can get a lot more with the MacMini (which is sort of portable if a monitor is available).

Thoughts?
rynning
1:02p, 5/2/24
In reply to agracer
agracer said:

Running an older desktop/tower PC at the house and it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Got a video project I've starting on and need to upgrade. Running Adobe Elements (Photoshop/Premier)

Running a Windows PC my whole life but use Apple mobile devices.

Was thinking of switching to a Mac

Considering either one of these. I would add an external drive to both of them and I do also have online storage for back up.

MacBook Pro
14" M3, 512SSD, 16GB Ram
M3 8Core Chip, 10-Core GPU | 16-Core Neural Engine

MacMini M2 Pro
1TB SSD, 16GB Ram
M2 10 Core Chip, 16-Core GPU | 16-Core Neural Engine

Like the idea of something more mobile since my video project will involve some travel and would like the ability to back up stuff quickly and not saving it on the camera storage card. However, seems like I can get a lot more with the MacMini (which is sort of portable if a monitor is available).

Thoughts?
I recently upgraded to a M3 MacBook Air with 24GB RAM. I chose it over the Pro because of the thinner lighter profile while delivering similar performance for a lower price.
agracer
1:45p, 5/2/24
In reply to rynning
rynning said:

agracer said:

Thoughts?
I recently upgraded to a M3 MacBook Air with 24GB RAM. I chose it over the Pro because of the thinner lighter profile while delivering similar performance for a lower price.
My issue with the Air is the lack of ports. Since Apple charges 4x everyone else for storage, I'd probably run an external HDD for storage of media but also want two monitors.

I was not looking to replace my current monitors and I cannot daisy chain them together. I need two separate video ports and the Air only has two USB3/Thunderbolt ports.
rynning
3:22p, 5/2/24
In reply to agracer
agracer said:

rynning said:

agracer said:

Thoughts?
My issue with the Air is the lack of ports. Since Apple charges 4x everyone else for storage, I'd probably run an external HDD for storage of media but also want two monitors.

I was not looking to replace my current monitors and I cannot daisy chain them together. I need two separate video ports and the Air only has two USB3/Thunderbolt ports.
Yeah, I get that. I was coming from a 2018 MacBook Pro with 4 USB-C ports, one of which was usually used for power. Since the Air now has a "magsafe" power connector, I figure I'm going from 3 to 2, which is enough for what I do.

I personally wouldn't get the Mini if you want it to be portable. Not only do you need a monitor, you need to plug it in and let it boot every time.

Definitely go to an Apple Store or Best Buy to get a feel for size and weight. I thought I was going to get the 15" Air until I saw them in person, then decided to get the 13". And the Pro models seem a little bulky to me, at least compared to the 2018 Pro I was coming from.
Sponge
11:37p, 5/2/24
Reconsider PC and take a look at Asus ROG or Eluktronics with a GeForce 4070.
TMoney2007
2:04p, 5/3/24
In reply to agracer
agracer said:

rynning said:

agracer said:

Thoughts?

There are 3rd party docks/port expander type things that you can get for a reasonable price that would allow you to have multiple monitors and whatever usb devices you want connected at the same time.
kyledr04
4:00p, 5/3/24
I've had a MacBook pro for work for years. Ever since they swapped to their M chips, it's been downhill. More compatibility issues. Less support for external monitors. I still have one that usually only take on trips but finally had to ask for a Dell.
evan_aggie
12:03a, 5/4/24
Guess I'll have to disagree.

Came from a x86 2019 MacBook Pro 16" to a M1 Pro. Battery life easily 2x 12-15 hrs +.

Coming out of sleep is faster, more stable, less hangs.

Everything has been far and away improved ,
YouBet
9:48a, 5/4/24
In reply to kyledr04
kyledr04 said:

I've had a MacBook pro for work for years. Ever since they swapped to their M chips, it's been downhill. More compatibility issues. Less support for external monitors. I still have one that usually only take on trips but finally had to ask for a Dell.

Dude, you got a Dell!
rynning
12:49p, 5/4/24
In reply to evan_aggie
evan_aggie said:

Guess I'll have to disagree.

Came from a x86 2019 MacBook Pro 16" to a M1 Pro. Battery life easily 2x 12-15 hrs +.

Coming out of sleep is faster, more stable, less hangs.

Everything has been far and away improved ,
Agree. It boots in 20 seconds and wakes up instantly. I look at the battery after a couple of hours and it's at 90%. Apple did a great job with the transition. I honestly wouldn't know if I was even running an Intel app unless I looked at the app's info.

It didn't take me long to use their tool to move everything over from my Intel Mac, including Xcode, Android Studio, Visual Studio, Docker, Brew, Microsoft Office, Final Cut Pro, etc.
fig96
1:30p, 5/6/24
Yup, the new machines are nice and quick, I have a personal laptop and have had two different ones for work (soon to be a third).

If you need the display support I'd probably go with the 14" MBP, though two external displays seems like a bit of overkill for Elements
16gb should do you fine, the M chips use RAM way more efficiently than the older ones.
agracer
11:31a, 5/7/24
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

Yup, the new machines are nice and quick, I have a personal laptop and have had two different ones for work (soon to be a third).

If you need the display support I'd probably go with the 14" MBP, though two external displays seems like a bit of overkill for Elements
16gb should do you fine, the M chips use RAM way more efficiently than the older ones.
It's nice to have the real estate to drag and drop files and just keep thing organized on one screen and do work on the other.
fig96
12:16p, 5/7/24
In reply to agracer
agracer said:

fig96 said:

It's nice to have the real estate to drag and drop files and just keep thing organized on one screen and do work on the other.
Totally get that, but do you not use your laptop screen? I have a Studio Display connected to my Macbook, do visual design work on the big screen and manage email/docs/etc. on the laptop.
agracer
3:06p, 5/7/24
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

agracer said:

fig96 said:

Totally get that, but do you not use your laptop screen? I have a Studio Display connected to my Macbook, do visual design work on the big screen and manage email/docs/etc. on the laptop.
At work I actually use all 3.

I prefer the larger real estate of a second screen at home, also they are the same height on the desk and my mouse is at the same place as I go from one screen to the next. I also have two monitors at home so I'd like to make use of them. First World Problems, I know.
fig96
4:35p, 5/7/24
In reply to agracer
agracer said:

fig96 said:

agracer said:

fig96 said:

I prefer the larger real estate of a second screen at home, also they are the same height on the desk and my mouse is at the same place as I go from one screen to the next. I also have two monitors at home so I'd like to make use of them. First World Problems, I know.
Gotcha, I've just never found a need for a third doing a whole lot of design/media/video. But to each their own
agracer
11:13a, 5/8/24
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

agracer said:

fig96 said:

agracer said:

fig96 said:

Gotcha, I've just never found a need for a third doing a whole lot of design/media/video. But to each their own

Don't do media at work. The laptop is just teams. Everything else is on the two big monitors.

At home, I'd rather not have the laptop, on the desk 10" below the single monitor so it's angled below the main monitor. So instead of looking left/right, I'm looking straight ahead, then down left, then back up, then down left. I think with a Mac I'd have to close the laptop lid anyway to support two monitors.
fig96
1:39p, 5/8/24
In reply to agracer
Gotcha. And a MBP should be able to support 2 displays with the lid open.
agracer
8:55p, 5/8/24
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

Gotcha. And a MBP should be able to support 2 displays with the lid open.
apple says it does not.

Only the MBP with the M3 Pro chip supports multiple displays.

The more I look, the more annoying it is that Apple makes it such a PITA to connect two monitors to their laptops. You have to use TWO ports to make a connection (that is if your laptop support two monitors, lots of the M-chip laptops do not). HDMI to Monitor + Thunderbolt to Monitor.

Let's see, my basic work laptop, I plug in ONE USB-C cable to it and I have two 1440p monitors, the laptop monitor, an external keyboard, wireless mouse, headset and power thru ONE connection (the peripherals are connected to USB ports on the monitors).

Too do the same on the Mac, I need to spend another $200+ on a thunderbolt port and power adapter to make it all work.

For being such a big tech company, Apple sure does screw up some of the simplest stuff.
evan_aggie
10:03p, 5/8/24
In reply to agracer
Well that's definitely not true.

I run a MBP M1 Pro with a 5K and a 4K connected.

agracer
7:16a, 5/9/24
In reply to evan_aggie
evan_aggie said:

Well that's definitely not true.

I run a MBP M1 Pro with a 5K and a 4K connected.

How are they connected?

The current MPB will not connect to two displays (per apple's web site and google) with out an external hub of some kind and DL some other software (display link?) to fool it into sending video to two displays?

The M3 Air will work, but you have to use the two Thunderbolt (USB-C) ports on the Air or, again, buy an external HUB to make it work. You have to buy the "PRO" M chip to make it work using two ports on the laptop to make it work - it doesn't go thru a single connection.

From what I've found, you cannot daisy chain monitors with the lower end MBP.
evan_aggie
7:51a, 5/9/24
In reply to agracer

I connect mine through two usb-c ports. There are three ports total and a hdmi out as well.

I think you are just getting info mixed on the web with people asking about MacBook Air support?

The "Pro" versions support dual displays.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/111901

Display Support
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

Up to two external displays with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (M1 Pro) or

Up to three external displays with up to 6K resolution and one external display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors (M1 Max)
agracer
9:12a, 5/9/24
In reply to evan_aggie
That's the "PRO" M chip.

The regular Macbook Pro is just the "M" chipset.

The new MacBooks have
M3 Chip
M3 Pro Chip
M3 Max Chip.

The Pro and Max support two displays. The base M3 (linked in my OP above) does not.

I can just get one of these to make it work and add the display port adapter drivers, which is better than the $200 I thought I'd need to spend.

Anker USB-C Hub
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off