Banded Birds
35,152 Views | 116 Replies
DUman08
5:15p, 9/21/10
Went dove hunting yesterday did really good and picked up a few banded birds when I called the American Racing Pigeon Union they gave me the owners phone number of the birds when I called them one guy wanted the carcass so he could bury it and the other guy called me a few chose words, then I asked him when there next race was he then used alot of choice words and hung up. I thought it was pretty funny to be sitting out in the dove field and see a 100 pigeons come out of nowhere. Has anybody else killed any banded Pigeons before?

chilidogfood
6:08p, 9/21/10
They'll eat!

+1 for squab.
The Doctor
6:13p, 9/21/10
Really duman? I have an uncle that races pigeons, and quite a bit of money and time go into raising those birds. Don't get me wrong, I love bird hunting and if you want to shoot pigeons, more power to you. But to call and taunt the owners, that might just fall into the category of bad bull.
ENG
6:18p, 9/21/10
quote:
Went dove hunting yesterday did really good and picked up a few banded birds when I called the American Racing Pigeon Union they gave me the owners phone number of the birds when I called them one guy wanted the carcass so he could bury it and the other guy called me a few chose words, then I asked him when there next race was he then used alot of choice words and hung up. I thought it was pretty funny to be sitting out in the dove field and see a 100 pigeons come out of nowhere. Has anybody else killed any banded Pigeons before?

would it be tacky to send it wrapped in bacon and vacuum sealed?
Centerpole90
6:21p, 9/21/10
This thread has potential.
shiftyandquick
6:26p, 9/21/10
I'm staying out of this one.

Noticed that on wikipedia it says racing pigeons are banned in Chicago. Funny.

[This message has been edited by shiftyandquick (edited 9/21/2010 5:32p).]
YellowPot_97
7:11p, 9/21/10
damn, I know a guy that races them. those guys spend THOUSANDS of dollars on them. as much as 30K on a single bird.
FSGuide
7:13p, 9/21/10
I guess if they spend that much $$ on a bird then they should keep better track of them. And if they were having a race during dove season, then they are plain old dumb.............
stroodles
7:24p, 9/21/10
quote:
And if they were having a race during dove season, then they are plain old dumb.............

This was my first thought.

page Juan!!!
Nagler
7:32p, 9/21/10
I like where this is going.

gillom
7:33p, 9/21/10
First thought was that this was hilarious. Upon hearing that people spend 30k per bird...well its still funny. I'm guessing dove season is taken into account in these races. It's part of the challenge. If I'm going to spend 30k on a bird for a race I better be able to teach it to dodge 1200 fps pellets. Apparently these two weren't good enough to win anyway.
TAMUallen
7:52p, 9/21/10
ok why the hell/how the hell do people get into spending thousands of dollars on racing pigeons?????
opie03
7:58p, 9/21/10

not available for comment...

-------------------------------------------------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.
DUman08
7:59p, 9/21/10
I just wish I could have gotten more and those guys should have known better than release a ton of pigeons during dove season I will continue to shoot pigeons and did I mention racin pigeons are tasty!!!
DUman08
8:02p, 9/21/10
oh and doctor I didnt call to taunt the guys I was gonna let them know that I had shot there birds so they know where they went but when the guy started gettin smart with me I couldnt resist and ask your uncle when there next race is.

[This message has been edited by DUman08 (edited 9/21/2010 7:09p).]
lostboy
8:28p, 9/21/10
So this guy gets a pass for killing a man's 30K pet, then shoving it back in his face ???

30K pet pigeon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> $64.99 box of shells

Yeah, F you guys.
gillom
8:45p, 9/21/10
Kinda different, shells can be returned. There was no bringing the pigeons back.
Nagler
8:51p, 9/21/10
quote:

So this guy gets a pass for killing a man's 30K pet, then shoving it back in his face ???

30K pet pigeon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> $64.99 box of shells

Yeah, F you guys.

How do you know that bird is worth $30k? Someone just said someone people spend that on some birds. You can buy a thoroughbred for $1,000,000, you can also buy one for $1,000. Maybe quit freaking out and get the sand out of your vagina, just a thought.

The Doctor
8:52p, 9/21/10
Again, I have no problem at all with shooting feral pigeons they're rats with wings. What rubs me the wrong way however is the thought process that shooting something whether it is a racing pigeon (not "racin" pigeons) or not, that someone has invested their ( see what I did there duman I used "their" to identify an individual, not "there" which would identify a location) time into as a joke, regardless of how much of their money is invested, the time invested is much greater.
gillom
8:58p, 9/21/10
How in the hell are you supposed to tell the difference while they are flying?
Agm2be
8:59p, 9/21/10
doctor- id love to think duman could identify a racing pigeon in the air but i highly doubt he could see the bands as they were flying.... i mean, the kid has a hard time telling a dude from a chick at the bar.
texaspigeonracer
9:09p, 9/21/10
User banned

TexAgs Staff

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 9/22/2010 11:07a).]
jh0400
9:19p, 9/21/10
Is it wrong that I can't stop laughing. WhoTF thought it was a good idea to have a pigeon race during dove season. Furthermore, whoTF would ever think, "I wonder if this pigeon can fly faster than other pigeons. Perhaps we should race them."

Nuke LaLoosh
9:24p, 9/21/10
oh hell yes.

1 of... lets see... 6 pages before deletion?
Swarely
9:25p, 9/21/10
"I wonder if this pigeon can fly faster than other pigeons. Perhaps we should race them."

im fairly certain this would prolly harken back to the days when carrier pigeons were used in war a faster one might be the diff in living and dieing
Nuke LaLoosh
9:25p, 9/21/10
and texaspigeonracer, that website has a tu logo on it... so you suck.

carry on.
Swarely
9:26p, 9/21/10
also, i wonder what a license for racing pigeons costs. good thing the warden didnt catch ya
Nuke LaLoosh
9:28p, 9/21/10
next people will band hogs and release them in the wild
p1 Claire
9:36p, 9/21/10
OP needs to learn how to avoid using run on sentences.
DUman08
9:39p, 9/21/10
Texaspigeonhomo you have confirmed my suspicion the pigeon union is full of squirrels and thank you for putting your website up for me because I will tell all my so called redneck buddies to be on the look out for pigeons in the field.
boboguitar
9:39p, 9/21/10
shootem down
Homeslice
9:41p, 9/21/10
quote:
doctor- id love to think duman could identify a racing pigeon in the air but i highly doubt he could see the bands as they were flying.... i mean, the kid has a hard time telling a dude from a chick at the bar.

this sounds like a fun story. please expound
ChiEp90
9:42p, 9/21/10
Rice-Stuffed Squab Recipe

1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups cooked rice
1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
1/3 to 1/2 cup raisins
6 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, divided
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
6 dressed squab (about 1 pound each)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
Directions
In a skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Add rice, mushrooms, raisins, 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt and marjoram. Sprinkle cavities of squab lightly with remaining salt; stuff with rice mixture.
Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Combine oil and remaining orange juice concentrate; brush over squab. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour or until meat juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted into the stuffing reads 165°, basting frequently. Yield: 6 servings.
redassag12
9:47p, 9/21/10
Ag210
9:48p, 9/21/10

[This message has been edited by Ag210 (edited 9/21/2010 8:49p).]
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 4
Verify your student status Register