Anybody got a contact with Comcast "construction"?
1,954 Views | 25 Replies
rilloaggie
10:34a, 5/4/24
I've got a utility easement through my back yard with power lines and other pole mounted utilities. Long story short, a big bundle of fiber optic cable fell off the poles and is laying across the back yard. I've had two cable guys come out, look at the line and basically say "oh, this is a big line, we will tell "construction" to come fix it." This results in them closing their ticket and the process seemingly comes to an end. I'm in week 2 of this and getting close to chopping it with a weed eater to see if that gets somebody to give a damn about it! Anybody know how to get in touch with this mythical construction department?
trip98
10:49a, 5/4/24
I would call them one final time and ask to speak to supervisor. Tell them you are recording the call because you are dealing with a major safety hazard that they have come out twice and not done anything about. Have him pull up the two tickets he can see for the two guys that came out. Then tell him they need to get out within 48 hours to get this resolved
If nobody comes within 48 hours, cut the damn line
That will likely result in a ton of calls from customers in the area and finally get some action done
redaszag99
11:06a, 5/4/24
SSS
RCR06
1:07p, 5/4/24
I wouldn't suggest cutting it. It is extremely expensive and time consuming to repair fiber optic lines. They could come after you for the cost.
OnlyForNow
1:21p, 5/4/24
In reply to RCR06
It was damaged when it fell off the pole. Not my fault the previous techs didn't record that information.
zooguy96
1:28p, 5/4/24
Comcast sucks. Complain like hell and go up the level of supervisors until you get someone.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
Hoyt Ag
2:29p, 5/4/24
Contact them via Twitter. They are very responsive there.
BrazosDog02
5:12p, 5/4/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

It was damaged when it fell off the pole. Not my fault the previous techs didn't record that information.

This. You can spend hours on the phone…..or wait until the grass is 3' tall and run a 8' Bush hog through it and those fellas will be out in about 24-36 hours to fix it. PLUS, they'll double and triple secure them. Apparently they are a real ***** to fix. Seems something you'd want to prioritize if you were the fiber folks.
RCR06
5:17p, 5/4/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

How do you know what they did or didn't record?
OnlyForNow
5:48p, 5/4/24
In reply to RCR06
Cuz the line is broken in my backyard and has been that way since I noticed it.

RCR06
8:56p, 5/4/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

Cuz the line is broken in my backyard and has been that way since I noticed it.

OP never said the line was damaged when it fell. Two people from Comcast have come and looked at it. A quick interview of the techs by comcast about the line being cut or not when they came out wouldn't be that hard.

I think what comcast has done is crappy, but I don't think it warrants cutting their line.
normaleagle05
9:45p, 5/4/24
In reply to RCR06
The line was damaged when it continued, over an extended period of time, to flop against his fence in the breeze. Which is why they don't just throw them on fences in the first place.
normaleagle05
9:48p, 5/4/24
Another thought...I bet no one, even the power company that probably has the assignable rights, has an easement that allows them to string a line over the top of the ground like that. That's trespassing.
RCR06
10:23p, 5/4/24
In reply to normaleagle05
normaleagle05 said:

The line was damaged when it continued, over an extended period of time, to flop against his fence in the breeze. Which is why they don't just throw them on fences in the first place.

It's laying on a fence? Must have missed that in the OP. Comcast needs to take care of their ****, but I guess I just don't agree with cutting their line and lieing about how it happened.
texag_89
9:50a, 5/5/24
Its only glass…. Bolt cutters, cut, throw away.

When they say "construction" they mean OSP, Outside Plant which is on the "CapEx" side of the business. And ya, the big Cable guys are just the old ma-bells when it comes to efficiency and responsiveness.

rilloaggie
8:35p, 5/6/24
Third cable dude came out today. I was on the way home from work when he showed up, about 5 mins away, and he was gone when I got there. I assume he passed it along to construction lol.

The cable and associated easement are along the back of my lot and I can't see where it attaches to the next pole to because it crosses about 1' of someone else's lot then heads into a 3rd back yard that I don't think has been maintained since the house was built in the 70's. Complete jungle. We back up to a drainage easement/trail so I am thinking of just tossing the thing over the fence and letting the Harris County mowers trash the line. Out of my way either way.
fullback44
8:42p, 5/6/24
In reply to rilloaggie
Be careful .. make sure none of that mess is some other type of hot line .. they had one single fiber line for a neighbor sticking up in my back yard .. wasn't supposed to be there .. I told the to bury it or the grass guys would hit it.. they fixed it, it was nothing like you have going on though
Charismatic Megafauna
9:20p, 5/6/24
Holy crap are you on willowbend? We had a similar situation which at one point resulted in a line like that arcing and catching some trees on fire. I wonder if 311 is a better option, as it is likely a safety hazard
MouthBQ98
9:33a, 5/7/24
That is telecom/CATV, probably fiber and coax. It is low/no power BUT it can get voltage from improper or degraded bonding/grounding or induction over distance so it still requires a bit of caution. It will weigh quite a bit. That cable is lashed around a tensioned steel strand that would keep it to a minimum height of something like 13 feet. Either it was lowered deliberately for a pole maintenance issue down the line or there was a down guy tension or pole failure. It would be a relatively low priority unless you make the case it represents a safety hazard.

Definitely do not damage it. If it is in the utility easement and you cut it, they will dispatch and restore service and then come after you for the cost of the repair which could be thousands of dollars if a fiber is cut.

Your best bet is to keep complaining through official channels and someone will get on it, but it may take a week or two for them to schedule a crew or get materials if a repair is required down the line to raise it.
AgResearch
9:37a, 5/7/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
Yeah absolutely do not cut it. I hit my own phone line on a rural property and was not allowed to fix it myself. The cost billed to me was around $800 for them to make a simple splice back together.

Cutting that line would be tens of thousands of dollars coming at you.
MouthBQ98
9:42a, 5/7/24
I can't tell but is there any power lines along the same path higher up, or is it just that cable alone?
rilloaggie
10:02a, 5/7/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
Power is above this line. I am obviously not going to really cut it, just extremely frustrating that as vital and expensive as it would be to replace this line, it's seeming not an issue to leave it laying wherever it falls for weeks. I know in my head that it isn't likely a safety issue but the fact that if fell at the same time as power getting knocked out and hearing arcing sounds doesn't make me feel great either. The only way I've been able to get through to an actual person with xfinity is through reddit oddly enough. Made an account to complain as they seem to take online public complaints more seriously than calling them on the phone. They check in everyday and tell me that they are working on it but nothing beyond that.
Charismatic Megafauna
10:19a, 5/7/24
Can you push it over the fence?
MouthBQ98
11:42a, 5/7/24
Just going to have to wait it out. They will want to get it back up where it belongs as they know it isn't allowed to be down there too long and it could become a legal liability if they take longer than is warranted to complete the work or repair that lowered it.
NoahAg
11:49a, 5/7/24
1. Accidentally trip over the line.
2. Call the Texas Hammer.
3. ???
4. Profit!
Serious Lee
5:50p, 5/7/24
i would have tossed it over the fence by now.

ive got a set like that hanging over my driveway only about 8 ft. centerpoint screwed it up when they changed out the telephone poles. it took those ass holes 15 months to fix the concrete they destroyed around the gas meter. getting anyone to deal with these telecomms wires has been a waste of time. Im hoping like hell a UPS or fed ex truck will take it out.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings