Experience with Rose Rosette Disease on drift roses?
621 Views | 7 Replies
ForeverAg
7:16p, 5/5/24
Our drift roses have been planted for about 2 months. Most of the plants have long shoots forming which when googling may be RRD. I do not have the clusters of leaves or even odd shaped leaves so I can't tell if I just have a growing rose, or if it may be RRD.

Thoughts?

$240 Worth of Pudding
7:24p, 5/5/24
I think you're worried about nothing. I don't see anything there that would throw up a red flag (for me, anyway). If anything, take a "wait and see" approach give it a month to six weeks but again, I think you're fine.
Animal Eight 84
10:29p, 5/5/24
I went to a training class on Rose Rosette by Texas A&M Plant Pathology SME Kevin Ong.

Your photo doesn't look like Rose Rosette. It typically has very tight branching growth called a witches broom.

This is a link to a free AgriLife publication on it.

https://agrilifelearn.tamu.edu/s/product/rose-rosette-disease-demystified/01t4x000004OfrrAAC

chickencoupe16
11:49p, 5/5/24
I agree that it isn't RRD. If you want a second opinion, post in this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/58500441971
ForeverAg
6:38a, 5/6/24
Thank yall for all the information, appears it's just odd growing drift roses!
Independence H-D
7:22a, 5/6/24
Although my dad is one of the world's leading experts in antique roses, my only Rose knowledge is confined to four roses.
Mark Fairchild
10:38a, 5/7/24
The experts are saying not RRD, so it is probably not. However, my experience with them is similar. The grew great for three or four weeks, then got this same weird (odd) growth pattern and then died. Had same thing happen two years in a row. Gave up on trying to grow them. I am NOT a good/great gardener, so perhaps it is just me.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Tugboat05
12:27p, 5/7/24
I'm not a horticulturalist, but I do work in a related field. That said, this looks like typical spring growth for as much moisture as we have received. Most small rose varietals are drought-tolerant, which means if you water them a lot, they will take advantage and quickly multiply. Similar to *****ly pear cactus in suburban landscapes. It looks like you have them in raised containers, make sure they are draining well and they will do fine in most conditions. Be aware that raised containers act like ovens in high heat, so water less volume, more frequently when its 95deg or more.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings