Solo Skiff
1,472 Views | 11 Replies
water turkey
7:33p, 5/5/24
Anybody have one for fishing skinny water, as opposed to a kayak?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Strongwind86
8:17p, 5/5/24
In reply to water turkey
My fishing buddy had one w a 5 HP Tohatsu on a trailer. He liked it fished a lot of skinny water around Rockport. Ended up selling it and buying a 18' Tran Cat… Sucked to get old…
LoneStarBQ
8:25p, 5/5/24
Go Mowdy Boats
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
water turkey
9:39p, 5/5/24
If I had the money for that, I wouldn't be looking at a Solo skiff
Strongwind86
9:44p, 5/5/24
In reply to LoneStarBQ
LoneStarBQ said:

Go Mowdy Boats
Don't ever change Outdoor Board!.....
The OP asks about $3,000 skiff and in comes the recommendation for $100K boat...
(I know I priced one in 2023...)
FIDO*98*
9:56p, 5/5/24
I didn't own one, but I demo'd one thinking I might get one for my boys to use. The only cons vs a Kayak are weight/portability and needing TX numbers. If you have a trailer it's a non-issue, but if you're working out of a truck bed 150lbs isn't an easy 1-man job. Registration isn't expensive per se, but one more thing to deal with.

Pros are cover more water spending significantly less energy, more comfortable seating, and much more storage area. If you get really skinny, you can still trim the motor up and push or paddle it.

We ended up buying a used Sea Doo instead and fitting a cooler rack/rod holder. They wade fish so don't need the casting area a Solo Skiff provides, but for not much more than the Solo Skiff it was a better option for us and it runs as skinny as a skiff or a yak.
OnlyForNow
5:49a, 5/6/24
If you're serious a guy I worked with once is selling his on Facebook, looks to be in great condition.

His name is Derek Mangold on Facebook.
LoneStarBQ
3:10p, 5/7/24
In reply to Strongwind86
Strongwind86 said:

LoneStarBQ said:

Go Mowdy Boats
Don't ever change Outdoor Board!.....
The OP asks about $3,000 skiff and in comes the recommendation for $100K boat...
(I know I priced one in 2023...)
Hey, you don't have to buy a brand new one. You can find used ones for $15,000. I realize thats not $3k but still pretty reasonable.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Reel Aggies
11:11a, 5/8/24
In reply to Strongwind86
My neighbor is set on one he saw at boat show two weeks ago with $160k price tag lol. I told him you buy it and I'll run it for you
TH36
11:18a, 5/8/24
Mowdys always remind me of a floating Taco Shell with an engine on the back whenever I see them go by.
Farmer_J
5:06p, 5/8/24
They're cool, but it kinda sucks to fish by yourself. I think I'd rather buy a little John boat with a small motor so at least you can fit 2 people. Stand up and move around.
FIDO*98*
6:05p, 5/8/24
In reply to Reel Aggies
Reel Aggies said:

My neighbor is set on one he saw at boat show two weeks ago with $160k price tag lol. I told him you buy it and I'll run it for you

There are three people that have more hours behind the wheel of my boat than I do. Your across the street neighbor is easily #1
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings