Can I Save this Tree
1,797 Views | 9 Replies
beerag04
10:58a, 5/6/24
With all of the rain around Houston this weekend, we had a huge limb tear off from an oak tree. This is an 80'+ oak tree and I would like to save the rest of the tree if possible, but I don't think I can. Anyone have any suggestions to give me hope?

jwoodmd
11:19a, 5/6/24
As long as its in a place not endangering buildings or other things, I'd just have the broken limb finished being taken off and let it go. I've had lots of trees with similar damage that live for a long time after things like that. Never know, so if it is not a danger, let it ride.
SockDePot
11:19a, 5/6/24
Hard to tell from pic, but is that a water oak?

If so, I'd just let it go / cut it down now.

I've had to cut 1 down every few years for the last 15 years around my house in memorial area of Houston. Maybe not a huge concern if it's not right up by structures, but over time all mine have started dropping huge limbs and finally always end up recommending to get cut down.
HDeathstar
1:20p, 5/6/24
In reply to SockDePot
SockDePot said:

Hard to tell from pic, but is that a water oak?

If so, I'd just let it go / cut it down now.

I've had to cut 1 down every few years for the last 15 years around my house in memorial area of Houston. Maybe not a huge concern if it's not right up by structures, but over time all mine have started dropping huge limbs and finally always end up recommending to get cut down.
This. Looks like if you cut it down, you could plant a new tree easily (plenty of room). Looks like it is not providing much shade before anyway.

Like the quote above, Water Oaks last 50 years. they are all dying in our neighbors' yards. They all keep spending money trimming them up till they have one branch going straight up and look like a pine tree with no branches. They should have cut them down 10 years ago and they could have had a nice tree by now.

It does not seem like it, but Trees do grow pretty fast, you just have to plant them.
MouthBQ98
1:33p, 5/6/24
That doesn't look anything like water oak bark.
MouthBQ98
10:04a, 5/7/24
Looks more like an elm or hickory based off the blurry leaf pattern I can make out.
AJ02
4:59p, 5/7/24
I was also going to say....if it's a water oak just take it down. The original builders of our home left nothing but water oaks and they're all starting to die at the same time. They only live about 50 years. So we've had to take 11 water oaks down in the last year....died, blown over in storms, broke off due to trunk rotted out, took down preemptively due to truck rotted out. As much as I hate to lose trees, water oaks aren't worth the effort to save.
Micropterus
9:49p, 5/7/24
Look more closely at the leaf arrangement and the bark. I believe thats an elm.
jrbaggie
6:23a, 5/8/24
In reply to Micropterus
I agree with Micro. Elms split like this quite often.
BobCatDave
2:33p, 5/12/24
Not a water oak, but could be an elm, but whatever it is, it had a bad, narrow main crotch with included bark and decay. It was going to split. A cable between the two halves may have prevented it, but water under the bridge. The other side will continue to decay and weaken, then it will fall. Maybe next wind? Maybe 5 years. If it is a zero risk area, who cares? If any risk to property, animals, humans, etc., I would recommend removal, but everyone has their personal comfort levels with risk. Retired 42 year certified arborist.
"I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else." - Winston Churchill
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings