Park Pic. Hawk n Frog
1,729 Views | 12 Replies
Madman
4:54p, 5/6/24
Rando sighting I had a few days ago. When he was flying I thought it was a squirrel in his talons. Location was Memorial park in Houston

cuz-i-can
4:59p, 5/6/24
I wonder who tagged it...
Junction71
5:06p, 5/6/24
Red-shouldered Hawk and can actually see the red shoulder.
water turkey
5:24p, 5/6/24
He's banded too
Madman
5:28p, 5/6/24
Memorial has at least five.

I know this because I have seen five at one time (sorry had to say it)

But what I dont know if all or just one, is in the habit of buzzing people. At least one has done a fast and low fly by to me the wife and our Jack Russel a few times. Doubt it was looking at the dog but that is also my only smart answer.
KRamp90
7:45p, 5/6/24
Maybe close to her nest? Hawks don't take kindly to that. Mocking birds and wrens will also get after you if you're close to the nest.
rilloaggie
8:10p, 5/6/24
The ones in the tree in my front yard have started to really tick me off. Last year they dropped a half eaten snake on the windshield of my truck. Gross, startling, but kinda cool. This year they've been really into frogs/turtles. I've been scraping dried frog guts off my patio about every other day this week. Not pleasant! Still get a kick out of them but I wish they'd drop their presents in my butthead neighbor's yard! They lost one of the fledglings the other day, was dead in the yard. Got busy after work and meant to pick it up in the morning but it was gone before I made it out. I assume a cat or coon carried it off in the night.
bam02
6:25a, 5/7/24
That's awesome! I didn't get a pic but last weekend I was out walking and caught something in my peripheral about 15 feet away. Looked up to see a redtail taking off with a writhing squirrel in its talons while another squirrel watched in astonishment. It was really cool to see. I also have a big beef with the squirrels in my area so that added to my enjoyment.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
6:54a, 5/7/24
In reply to bam02
bam02 said:

That's awesome! I didn't get a pic but last weekend I was out walking and caught something in my peripheral about 15 feet away. Looked up to see a redtail taking off with a writhing squirrel in its talons while another squirrel watched in astonishment. It was really cool to see. I also have a big beef with the squirrels in my area so that added to my enjoyment.
That hawk doing the Lord's work.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Madman
5:02p, 5/7/24
We just found a juvenile.

Not sure what to do.

Madman
6:56p, 5/7/24
Well I have a hawk in a box in a bathroom. Taking him to wildlife rehab center in the morning.
PharmD4
7:31p, 5/7/24
While back I was out on a run. Happened to be looking at a dove on the ground when a hawk came from out of nowhere and pounced on it.

Managed to get some (low quality) pics as it was carrying it off. Nature DGAS

S.A. Aggie
9:31p, 5/7/24
Back in my idiot years I climbed a tree in the middle of a field in Alpine. Tx. We could see the nest but no mother. We finally see her with binoculars sitting in a yucca on top of a far off hill. Half way up the tree my buddy Lee yells "she's flying towards us now!". I got to the top and he hollers " her she comes!!" I could her her cry as I snapped pics of the chicks with a dead squirrel and quail in the nest. Lee yells " look out" and I see her banking away from me at about three feet. Knowing I was blessed that she didn't put a piece of my face in that nest I climbed down so fast it probably looked like I was falling. That was in 1979 and I have no idea where those pictures are now. But I won't forget being an idiot that day!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings