Texas State Aquarium
1,696 Views | 13 Replies
Rongagin71
10:43p, 5/6/24
Is located in Corpus Christi and has been nominated as nation's best.
Needs votes to actually win the title.

Pro Sandy
10:51p, 5/6/24
But have you been to the Monterey Aquarium? Hands down the best.
Rongagin71
11:46p, 5/6/24
In reply to Pro Sandy
At first, I thought you were talking about Monterey, Mexico,
but that is in the mountains so looked it up and found out
about the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. Looks nice,
but Corpus has a lot of new stuff.
Apache
6:51a, 5/7/24
Corpus has a nice aquarium & it's great that it has been nominated..... but "the best?"
Atlanta & Monterey are light years better.

Have there been improvements to the TSA in the past 10 years? When I went was honestly a little underwhelmed but it has been a while.
Milwaukees Best Light
7:58a, 5/7/24
They have done a really nice job with it. It is worth a trip if you are in the area. We went in December. It was crowded, but not too bad. The setting right next to the channel is perfect. We saw more wild dolphins than trained ones. I won't weigh in on the nations best debate, I haven't been to enough. I will simply say it is very nice and worth the time you spend there.
lazuras_dc
8:03a, 5/7/24
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

Corpus has a nice aquarium & it's great that it has been nominated..... but "the best?"
Atlanta & Monterey are light years better.

Have there been improvements to the TSA in the past 10 years? When I went was honestly a little underwhelmed but it has been a while.
In 2017 TSA added and entire Caribbean Exhibit building with multiple exhibits and a 4d Theatre (about twice the size of the original). They also have added their rescue center as an area you can tour and see how they rescue and rehabilitate animals.

Pre 2017 TSA was pretty underwhelming, I agree. But now its something to be proud of IMO
CowtownAg06
8:04a, 5/7/24
I haven't been to the aquarium, but the USS Lexington is next door and very worth the trip. I'm sure doing both in a weekend would be awesome.
agnerd
9:02a, 5/7/24
FYI this has nothing to do with the State of Texas.
agsalaska
9:33a, 5/7/24
Thumbs up to the Texas State Aquarium. Very cool place.

I have no idea how it ranks across other aquariums but it is the best I have ever been to.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
cupofjoe04
10:38a, 5/7/24
In reply to agnerd
agnerd said:

Go on...
Breggy Popup
11:04a, 5/7/24
In reply to cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04 said:

agnerd said:

Go on...

He is being Eyeore. It is not a state funded aquarium however the legislature did designate it as "The Official Aquarium of Texas" in 1985 which in my opinion is better since as far as I know it is funded by gate, concessions and donations rather than taxes.
cupofjoe04
11:41a, 5/7/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Breggy Popup said:

cupofjoe04 said:

agnerd said:

Go on...

He is being Eyeore. It is not a state funded aquarium however the legislature did designate it as "The Official Aquarium of Texas" in 1985 which in my opinion is better since as far as I know it is funded by gate, concessions and donations rather than taxes.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the Georgia Aquarium is a non-profit that was initially funded by Home Depot and other businesses. And they are the gold standard, right up there with Monterey.
Texas Yarddog
7:51a, 5/8/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Breggy Popup said:

cupofjoe04 said:

agnerd said:

Go on...

Not taking tax money makes it even better in my opinion. I need to go next time I am in the area.
zooguy96
10:38a, 5/8/24
I personally like the TN aquarium over the Georgia Aquarium. The Georgia Aquarium is poorly set up IMHO. It has one central area from which you go to each exhibit. There ends up being too much traffic everywhere. Also, I didn't really notice much of a conservation message.

Just my two cents having worked at and visited various zoos and aquariums.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings