Hill Country - Fly Fishing for Bass
1,578 Views | 15 Replies
WestTXag18
11:00p, 5/6/24
I'll have 2 days off soon and want to try a few rivers/creeks within a few hours of San Antonio. I have a kayak to use.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go? Not sure which rivers even have any water at this point!
BurnetAggie99
1:42a, 5/7/24
Try the Pedernales River up by Johnson City. Not sure if the Blanco River is full up by Blanco.

Always the Colorado River up by Buchanan Dam
AgDad121619
5:49a, 5/7/24
In reply to WestTXag18
S Llano - float the section above the river park one day and then from park to town next
docb
7:36a, 5/7/24
In reply to BurnetAggie99
BurnetAggie99 said:

Try the Pedernales River up by Johnson City. Not sure if the Blanco River is full up by Blanco.

Always the Colorado River up by Buchanan Dam
The Blanco river has been so low the last few years I can't imagine it would be very good right now
AgDad121619
7:47a, 5/7/24
In reply to docb
Docb- are you the poster who fishes the Colorado below Austin? Have read that is a very under rated Guad fishery but have never made it there. If water is low in the hill country rivers , this is another option for OP.
docb
8:12a, 5/7/24
In reply to AgDad121619
AgDad121619 said:

Docb- are you the poster who fishes the Colorado below Austin? Have read that is a very under rated Guad fishery but have never made it there. If water is low in the hill country rivers , this is another option for OP.
I have fished the lower Colorado quite a bit but it has been about a year since I've dropped my jet boat in there due to the drought. It is absolutely full of guadalupe bass and their are some good sized ones in there as well. I put in at Little Weberville park and run upriver to around 130 which is probably about 7 miles. I just fish my way back from there. There is a put in point above 130 at 973 but that is a sketchy area so I would not recommend leaving a vehicle there. They could just kayak up from Little Weberville as far as they feel like paddling.
Cowboy Curtis
8:15a, 5/7/24
Llano is flowing a bit fast right now. May affect kayak fishing conditions this week.
Junction71
8:51a, 5/7/24
There have been lots of fly fisherman on the South Llano R. the past couple of weeks and may have had some kind of tournament. The river is a little off color now due to rise from rain last week. It would be great kayaking right now. I need to go myself.
AgDad121619
9:33p, 5/7/24
A little off topic but we camped there one summer years ago when my youngest was 8. I let my boys wander off to fish above the road in while I was fishing below the bridge. Just as it is getting dark, he comes running up with 5 lb bass. He had run prob a quarter mile to find me all while lipping this big bass. He just wanted to have proof so he could brag to his big brother
SanAntoneAg
10:06p, 5/7/24
In reply to AgDad121619
AgDad121619 said:

A little off topic but we camped there one summer years ago when my youngest was 8. I let my boys wander off to fish above the road in while I was fishing below the bridge. Just as it is getting dark, he comes running up with 5 lb bass. He had run prob a quarter mile to find me all while lipping this big bass. He just wanted to have proof so he could brag to his big brother
Was it as big a a god damned baby?
Gig 'em! '90
WestTXag18
8:06a, 5/8/24
Thanks for the suggestions. South Llano sounds like a good option.

I've also been wanting to get up to the Hunt area and try the Guadalupe, or out to the Frio. Anyone fished either of those areas recently?
poet0715
5:06p, 5/8/24
In reply to WestTXag18
Plenty of good put it options on the North Fork and can confirm plenty of water flowing.

Not sure how long of a trip you are looking for. Decent put in at Lonestar Crossing and would be a few hour trip down to Mayhugh Crossing. There's plenty of deeper pools and some areas you could get out and wade fish if you wanted to cool off for a bit. You would have to portage a few times but plenty of fish in that area and awesome scenery on the backside of Camp Stewart.
agwrestler
5:11p, 5/8/24
In reply to AgDad121619
AgDad121619 said:

Now I have a hankerin' for some coffee and a honey bunnn.
AgDad121619
6:50p, 5/8/24
In reply to agwrestler
Easily one my favorite Texas state parks - covered up with turkeys strutting in the park and some of best river fishing in the state
ol'Porkbelly
4:05p, 5/14/24
The San Marcos River is always a good option as well. It has much more consistent water levels than many of the other Hill Country rivers and good bass and sunfish populations as well.
rock08
8:26p, 5/14/24
South Llano
Had one of the best fishing trips of my life there last April. 26 bass over 2lbs and a 5# yellow cat. All using a bait caster but it would be great for fly fishing
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings