Boat trailer registration
644 Views | 11 Replies
DantheAggie
9:59a, 5/7/24
I just bought a used boat. I have the bill of sale for the trailer. The trailer is under 4000 lbs. What documents and where do I need to go to register this trailer? I live in Houston close to Bellaire. Thank you.
CS78
10:01a, 5/7/24
Local tax office. Theyll have a form theyll explain. Hopefully your bill of sale has all the important info or you'll have to go back and try to get it from the seller.
MouthBQ98
11:44a, 5/7/24
Texas treats all trailers as road vehicles, so it is titled and registered like vehicles are through DMV processes.
harge57
11:44a, 5/7/24
Ideally if you can get previous owners registration paper you can knock it out with one trip to the county tax office.
harge57
11:45a, 5/7/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
MouthBQ98 said:

Texas treats all trailers as road vehicles, so it is titled and registered like vehicles are through DMV processes.

Unless it changed, no title needed for trailers less than 4k lbs.
AgFlyGuy
12:47p, 5/7/24
In reply to harge57
Correct, just went through this last week at DMV. No title required under 4k lbs.
FIDO*98*
4:32p, 5/7/24
Hit the easy button and tell them you built a homemade trailer if there is not title. You won't need any paperwork
GottaRide
8:20a, 5/8/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
FIDO*98* said:

Hit the easy button and tell them you built a homemade trailer if there is not title. You won't need any paperwork

lol
Howdy Dammit
8:39a, 5/8/24
I bought a boat a few years ago. Plates still read a different county and expired in 2021. I think I'll keep risking it on the 1 mile drive to the private boat ramp
CS78
8:45a, 5/8/24
In reply to FIDO*98*
There was a time when that was the easy way. Think they finally wised up and no longer the case.
Reel Aggies
11:05a, 5/8/24
In reply to CS78
Yeah they now have DPS come inspect all homemade trailers in Bandera county to make sure none are stolen lol. The guy used to come on Thursdays
MouthBQ98
1:22p, 5/8/24
Yeah, if it is anything like a homemade boat hull, you'd have to to show receipts for materials.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings