Scouting America
3,837 Views | 51 Replies
TexasAggie73
1:22p, 5/7/24
This will be the new name for the BSA starting February 8, 2025. It was just announced at the annual meeting. Plus, the will begin a trial run of coed troops
texasaggie2015
1:30p, 5/7/24
In reply to TexasAggie73
I learned at a young age that if I have nothing nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all.

I'm going to follow that advice here.
txags92
1:30p, 5/7/24
It has been 40 years since I was in scouts, but knowing the kind of hijinks we got up to with limited adult supervision on camping trips, it isn't hard to imagine a whole new set of issues that are going to crop up putting hormone laden early teen girls and boys together on campouts. Not against the concept as a whole, but it won't be easy on the troop leaders.
TexasAggie73
1:34p, 5/7/24
In reply to txags92
Scouting has had coed groups for high school age teens for 50 years. No different than church youth groups.
txags92
1:39p, 5/7/24
In reply to TexasAggie73
TexasAggie73 said:

Scouting has had coed groups for high school age teens for 50 years. No different than church youth groups.
Not sure about your church groups, but there was a lot going on behind the scenes in ours...
P.U.T.U
1:47p, 5/7/24
In reply to TexasAggie73
TexasAggie73 said:

Pro Sandy
1:51p, 5/7/24
Cubmaster and Assistant Scoutleader. It still remains the best program for young men out there. Taking 30 Cubs camping this weekend. The Pack is coed, we crossed two female AOLs last week. This summer taking 25 Scouts into the Sierras, the Troop is boys only. The Scouts are still learning first aid, camping, being a good citizen, and being reverent. Flag ceremonies still occur with the US flag and the Pack/Troop flag. Memorial Day we'll have both the Pack and Troop at a local cemetery putting flags to honor our veterans.

About 15 years ago worked with a Venture Crew. Was coed, all teenagers. They included in their rules no PDA, to try and prevent extracurricular activities. Loved working with that crew, wish I had something like it when I was a teen.

Proud to be working with Scouts and proud 2 sons and 1 daughter have been involved.
AgLA06
1:53p, 5/7/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

TexasAggie73 said:

Not sure about your church groups, but there was a lot going on behind the scenes in ours...
That's called life.
txags92
2:10p, 5/7/24
In reply to AgLA06
Agree. As I said I am not opposed to it. Just will take more leadership effort to overcome the challenges.
HumbleAg04
2:12p, 5/7/24
I understand the nuances of the situation but this is selling your soul for a revenue play. Losing the LDS enrollment, all the (deserved) costs for the sex abuse issues, and losing charter support from the Methodist and Catholic churches should be an indicator your trajectory is wrong. Doubling down on inclusion is NOT the answer.
agsalaska
2:15p, 5/7/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

TexasAggie73 said:

Man those were good times. Coed camping trips. With Jesus.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
frorge
2:16p, 5/7/24
Just completed my son's first year in cub scouts as a Lion. Our Pack has elected to stay males only. All our activities, camp outs, and lessons mirror very close to my memories of scouts 30 years ago. I agree with the above poster that it is still a great organization and the ability to choose your pack lets you ensure you surround your boys with moral and principled men and leaders.
agsalaska
2:20p, 5/7/24
I just never got into Scouts. I was in it for maybe two years growing up. I got in a fist fight in probably 5th grade with one of the other kids in the group during some scout event and that was it.

WIsh it were a bigger deal here in Bell County but my son has all of one friend in it and he(my son) is absolutely in the wildlife outdoor camping hiking group. They were talking about noodling in Belton Lake the other day before the rains raised the water level. But it's just not a thing here.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
O.G.
2:47p, 5/7/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

TexasAggie73 said:

Not sure about your church groups, but there was a lot going on behind the scenes in o
txags92
2:52p, 5/7/24
In reply to agsalaska
agsalaska said:

txags92 said:

TexasAggie73 said:

Man those were good times. Coed camping trips. With Jesus.

The ski trips too…
agsalaska
2:55p, 5/7/24
In reply to txags92
Went on one of those. I think it was called Young life or Young Lives or something like that. This would have been 1994. That was a WILD time.
Windy City Ag
2:57p, 5/7/24
In reply to txags92
Quote:

Yeah, amazing what happens when you lock in a large group of coed, hormonal teens and chaperone them with slightly befuddled 20 something youth minister.

We did have an all girl troop across the road from us a few years back at winter camp at Trevor Rees Jones. The number of lectures from both sets of scout leaders was pretty funny to watch. It was in the teens most nights, so there couldn't be too much tomfoolery.
NowhereMan
4:52p, 5/7/24
Trail Life is a better organization
Senator Blutarski
8:48p, 5/7/24
Scouts is a great educational program. But your experience will be determined by the quality of men involved in helping guide your troop and it's leaders.
TexasAggie73
8:58p, 5/7/24
In reply to Senator Blutarski
Senator Blutarski said:

Scouts is a great educational program. But your experience will be determined by the quality of men involved in helping guide your troop and it's leaders.

And women.
ChoppinDs40
12:14a, 5/8/24
Serious question… I want to get my daughter more involved in the outdoors. What other realistic options are there other than scouts?
Bird Poo
5:40a, 5/8/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
ChoppinDs40 said:

Serious question… I want to get my daughter more involved in the outdoors. What other realistic options are there other than scouts?

Try HATS
OnlyForNow
5:59a, 5/8/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
Indian princesses?
SoulSlaveAG2005
6:41a, 5/8/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
Our oldest girl is in American Heritage Girls. Basically scouts, but faith based and girls only. She loves it.

Both my boys are in Scouts, and I'm an Eagle Scout. While I don't like this garbage, we hve a good small troop. It's run out of our church/Catholic school.

As with all things, I think as long as the local troop is sane and active, some of the National garbage won't effect us. I also think organizations like this need traditional minded families like ours to stay involved and provide buffers against the garbage but also to be role models for other kids who may be in the troop but not have the same protections at home.

If we all quit, leave and go form our own scout group, then the other side wins and has full reign to destroy it. Meanwhile lots of innocent youth will be caught in the fire
Gone Camping
11:00a, 5/8/24
Been a scout leader for more than 15 years. Parent of two eagles (boys) and our daughter is well on her way. The girls in our girl troop tell people they are in Boy Scouts. I asked them why they say that and it's because if they just say "scouts" people assume they mean girl scouts and the girls don't want people thinking that's the organization they're in. They like BSA better. It's not just crafts and cookies. They joined for the adventure of camping every month, high adventure opportunities, the same things the boys love about the organization. BSA doesn't realize that their name didn't exclude people, it made them stand out as the premier organization for building young people through the outdoors, leadership, etc.

We closed our Venture Crew in the last year due to a lack of interest and I'm not sure how we'll keep our boy and girl troops going more than another year or two. Parents are pissed at the organization and kids don't care. It's sad. Instead of fixing the holes in the ship, BSA just keeps throwing more ballast on to make it go down faster.
Prince_Ahmed
12:04p, 5/8/24
In reply to NowhereMan
NowhereMan said:

Oh? You mean that coed program, started by a national BSA executive that was let go for tomfoolery, and a SE who was let go by his board after he ran his council into the ground? So they ripped off BSA materials and started their own org? That group?
Farmer_J
4:24p, 5/8/24
I get nostalgic and a little sad every time I go into a scout camp and see pictures on the wall from the 80s of lakes full of canoes and strong looking young men.

Those times are over.
Windy City Ag
4:38p, 5/8/24
Quote:

I get nostalgic and a little sad every time I go into a scout camp and see pictures on the wall from the 80s of lakes full of canoes and strong looking young men.

Farmer_J
4:59p, 5/8/24
In reply to Windy City Ag
lol.

But point being go take a photo of a scout troop today and compare it to a picture from the 80s. Not a lot of kids today upholding the 'physically strong' part in the scout oath.
Ol Jock 99
5:24p, 5/8/24
In reply to Farmer_J
Quote:

Not a lot of kids today upholding the 'physically strong' part in the scout oath.
The majority of the kids in our troop (bigger...around 100 boys and 12 girls in the linked girls troop) are in pretty good shape, especially compared to the average kid out there.

While our Scouters are generally in good shape, when you look at Scouters as a whole....that's a different story...
TexasAggie73
5:34p, 5/8/24
In reply to Ol Jock 99
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

Not a lot of kids today upholding the 'physically strong' part in the scout oath.
The majority of the kids in our troop (bigger...around 100 boys and 12 girls in the linked girls troop) are in pretty good shape, especially compared to the average kid out there.

While our Scouters are generally in good shape, when you look at Scouters as a whole....that's a different story...

Maybe it's more of a society issue than scouting issue
Ol Jock 99
5:45p, 5/8/24
In reply to TexasAggie73
100%. And a sizable portion of more athletic kids are doing travel sports (a complete bane on the family and society as a whole...but that's a different post) which is really dang hard to do at the same time as Scouts.
boredatwork08
9:30p, 5/8/24
In reply to NowhereMan
NowhereMan said:

Oh wow. Just, no.

Well now that I think about it, if it gets the remaining fundies out of Scouts then I'm all for it.
mhnatt
9:47p, 5/8/24
Times are a'changing. I don't recall sexuality being a thing of concern at that age. I somehow thought outdoor stuff was more what this was all about.

"Children younger than ten watched fully nude bikers at the Seattle Pride Parade, which was kicked off by the Boy Scouts of America."

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/06/26/children-watch-nude-bikers-seattle-pride-parade/

Ol Jock 99
10:10p, 5/8/24
In reply to mhnatt
That was one troop/pack, in the PacNW, a couple years ago. You are nut-picking. The overwhelming majority of troops/districts/councils would not opt for that.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings