Re-barrel on Husqvarna and Ruger M77
1,180 Views | 13 Replies
bigtexD
4:30p, 5/7/24
My father has an older Husqvarna chambered in .270 and we believe that it needs to be re barreled (will not group after 7 different types of ammo using 3 different optics).

I also have a Ruger M77 in .300WM that needs to be re barreled.

Does anybody have any leads or know of anybody that would be up to the task around central Texas? I have a few guys I can send them off to out of state, but would rather support a local guy if I can. Most guys these days won't touch the Husky or Ruger from what I've gathered.

Thanks!
agsalaska
5:01p, 5/7/24
In reply to bigtexD
You may try RD guns in Copperas Cove. They have both worked on older lever action guns for me that the new guys wouldn't touch.

Sendero I'm Belton also has a well respected gunsmith but I have never used him. But I would be looking at those two places.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
schmellba99
6:12p, 5/7/24
Before you rebarrel, are you sure there isn't an issue between the stock and the barrel causing a stress point? Should be able to slide a dollar bill under the barrel all the way to the action. Often times with older guns, the wood will eventually swell and make contact with the barrel and that can cause accuracy issues.
GottaRide
6:56p, 5/7/24
What Schmellba99 said. Wood stocked Rugers are known for having stocks that touch at random points. I have a tang safety M77 that shot ok but not as well as I wanted it to. I put a new trigger (Rifle Basix) in it and bought a tool to open the barrel channel. It made a world of difference.
CactusThomas
9:38p, 5/7/24
Any general gunsmith can and will rebarrel a Ruger or Husky.

The AR15 assemblers and cerakote appliers, not so much.
CactusThomas
9:40p, 5/7/24
Also agree with others about the stock. Easy job to bed it yourself.

And dog down on the angled action screw on the Ruger
jwhanks15
7:13a, 5/8/24
Pete Pieper of Precision Barrel Works in Hempstead has done great work for us in the past on an old M77.
CS78
7:38a, 5/8/24
Id also clean the bores well with a copper solvent if you haven't tried that.
AnSci99
8:59a, 5/8/24
Tumbleweed Custom Rifles in Round Rock replaced the barrel on a Mauser for me, cerakoted it, and installed peep sights. They did a good job and fair price.
ldg397
10:32a, 5/9/24
Agree you should check bedding on both as well as scope mounts and scope. Make sure you are testing with a known good scope. If you just want to rebarrel anyway that is fine too.

Most any smith can rebarrel a model 700 Remington but the Mausers, Rugers, and most Winchesters are control round feed (it is not difficult just not near as common as it used to be). I wouldn't want someone doing mine if they didn't have experience with those type actions. A lot of the old timers who could do this in their sleep have retired and you are left with all the 700 clone smiths. I used Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels for my model 70 and had zero issues. There is also Brown precision in Cameron, I haven't had them do anything for me yet but would like to. Had several conversations with them over the years. I would pay more attention to the recommendations where they specifically had Rugers or Mausers done.
swampstander
11:51p, 5/9/24
In reply to CS78
CS78 said:

Id also clean the bores well with a copper solvent if you haven't tried that.

And a good scrubbing with JB bore paste as well.
JuneBug07
6:46a, 5/10/24
The older M77 rifles did not have free floated barrels from the factory. Your cheapest option would be to get the stock bedded to ensure that the barrel is not touching any of the wood. Most likely this will solve your problem.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to do this.
I had the same problem on my M77 and decided buy once cry once. I re-barreled, new trigger, cerakote, stock refinish, and stock bedding.

I had Bill Wiseman out of College Station do the work. He has a fully functional machine shop and threads his own barrels from blanks.
Thaddeus Beauregard
2:55p, 5/14/24
In reply to jwhanks15
jwhanks15 said:

Pete Pieper of Precision Barrel Works in Hempstead has done great work for us in the past on an old M77.

Ditto. I've had Pete install at least 10 barrels on my rifles in the past, and in fact he has one of my actions and barrel blanks in his shop now as we speak. He's always done great work for me and others I know. Heckuva nice guy!
cledus6150
3:28p, 5/14/24
I recommend Pete as well, I just got a 7mag back from him and he did a great job!

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings