Ghetto A/C repair is outdoors
3,089 Views | 38 Replies
Burdizzo
10:04p, 5/7/24
Came home from work to find the condenser fan not running. It is probably the capacitor, but good luck finding one after hours. Box fan on top pulling air. Swamp cooler on the side pushing. This should work overnight until the repairman come tomorrow.
SanAntoneAg
10:07p, 5/7/24
Are you for hire?
Gig 'em! '90
RCR06
3:09a, 5/8/24
Nice work around.

About every 4 years my capacitor has gone out. Maybe just bad luck. After the last one going out on a weekend I bought a spare to keep just in case. Haven't gotten to use the spare, but I'm sure it will come in handy one day.
Tx95Ag
6:22a, 5/8/24
Great job with the improvisation.

Caps are not that expensive. You should keep a set for just these situations.
Burdizzo
6:53a, 5/8/24
The capacitor was just replaced last summer, and I was not expecting it to go this soon. This unit is only six years old, and I am a little disappointed that I already have these issues.

This patch did not last all night. It is 80 in the house with 74% humidity. Outside is 74 with 96% humidity. Walking around is like walking through tepid Elmer's glue outside right now.
normaleagle05
6:54a, 5/8/24
The last 2 times I had an AC kick the bucket was on a summer holiday weekend and the culprit was a capacitor. Repair guy wanted $400 plus trip fee, Amazon wanted $12.99. I keep one in stock.
dcbowers
7:11a, 5/8/24
In reply to normaleagle05
normaleagle05 said:

The last 2 times I had an AC kick the bucket was on a summer holiday weekend and the culprit was a capacitor. Repair guy wanted $400 plus trip fee, Amazon wanted $12.99. I keep one in stock.

For the novices like me, is there a link to a guide on how to replace a capacitor?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maddiedou
7:22a, 5/8/24
Capacitors can go out from electrical surges or even lightning storms

To replace very simple pull outside breaker
Look at capacitor it will have a brown purple yellow red color wires. Wire color will be different

There will normally be two prong. Threeprong and 4 prong

Two ways of doing take one wire off and install onto capacitor one at a time
Or
Take a majic marker aand write first letter of color on new capapcitor and then take all the wites off and put on new capacitor

We also put jump starts on all our units when we replace capapcitor I think the new unit come already with a jump start capacitor

I hope I explained well enough And yes as poster said below. Take screwdriver and touch across old capacitor
maddiedou
SharkinAg
7:45a, 5/8/24
In reply to RCR06
RCR06 said:

Nice work around.

About every 4 years my capacitor has gone out. Maybe just bad luck. After the last one going out on a weekend I bought a spare to keep just in case. Haven't gotten to use the spare, but I'm sure it will come in handy one day.

My ac guy said they used to hardly replace them 20 years ago. He said recently (no idea on how recent) they started making them all overseas and they go out all the time and is probably the second most common reason they are called. First being a clogged line.
Mine went out last summer. I've been meaning to carry a spare.
Charismatic Megafauna
8:09a, 5/8/24
In reply to maddiedou
maddiedou said:

...relaying thoughts

Ba dum ching!

Before i touch a cap i make sure its discharged by putting a screwdriver from each of the prongs to the others
76Ag
8:14a, 5/8/24
I had the fan stop one year. It turns out that a wire had come loose and sagged down and had stopped the fan from turning. A zip tie fixed that problem.
Tx95Ag
8:19a, 5/8/24
In reply to 76Ag
I've had this same issue and resolved it the same way. Great minds and all.
tamc93
8:35a, 5/8/24
A good reminder thread for me to check my capacitor stock.

I usually have them on spare for pool pumps and AC units, but may be out.
fullback44
8:39a, 5/8/24
In reply to normaleagle05
normaleagle05 said:

I thought about buying a spare capacitor.. isn't it the tall round thing that looks like a coke or beer can?
Mathguy64
8:44a, 5/8/24
In reply to fullback44
fullback44 said:

normaleagle05 said:

I thought about buying a spare capacitor.. isn't it the tall round thing that looks like a coke or beer can?
Yes. A little smaller maybe. Bigger than a Red Bull can.
tamc93
8:47a, 5/8/24
Make sure you check your rating on the existing one and buy something similar.

Ag97
9:40a, 5/8/24
Where do y'all buy your capacitors from? Mine went out this past weekend and I couldn't find one at any of the big box stores and all the normal electrical supply stores aren't open on Sundays.

On a side note, a lot of times you can get the fan running if you help it along to get it started. My capacitor wasn't completely out but on its way. I took a long screw driver and turned the fan and it eventually had enough momentum to catch and start turning. My old AC guy told me the capacitor is like the starter for the fan motor, if you can jump start it, the fan will continue to run. The problem is you have to do it every time the AC turns off. Before we went to bed we set the temp at 60 degrees hoping the AC would run all night or at least long enough to let us sleep without being miserable .
JoeAggie1010
10:02a, 5/8/24
In reply to dcbowers
dcbowers said:

normaleagle05 said:

For the novices like me, is there a link to a guide on how to replace a capacitor?
Please understand, this is a high voltage capacitor that can cause serious injury, or potentially death. One of the above capacitor pictures shows 370 Volts Alterating Current (VAC). It can be a simple fix if done correctly.
RCR06
10:05a, 5/8/24
In reply to SharkinAg
SharkinAg said:

RCR06 said:

Nice work around.

My ac guy said they used to hardly replace them 20 years ago. He said recently (no idea on how recent) they started making them all overseas and they go out all the time and is probably the second most common reason they are called. First being a clogged line.
Mine went out last summer. I've been meaning to carry a spare.

Good to know. I couldn't ever remember having a problem where the capacitor needed changing when I was growing up in the 90's. I've been in my house 12 years and I'm on capacitor number 3.
RCR06
10:10a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ag97
They only have a few at big box stores and it seems like they never have the one I need in stock. I bought one online and have a spare for that reason. Normally when I find out my capacitor is out is when I get home from work or it's on a weekend, both times when electrical supply places are closed.
Tx95Ag
10:18a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ag97
The Ace near me carries an assortment. I ordered a set of Amazon, just because it was convenient.
Junction71
10:32a, 5/8/24
My AC guy told me to pull plug from small gray box if bad lightning coming. The box is on the side of house near the outside unit. I also suck my condensation line out with shop vac couple times a year and run vinegar down it too. If I may, where exactly is this capacitor? If I can see a pro do it once can usually fix myself.
Ribeye-Rare
10:40a, 5/8/24
In reply to SharkinAg
Quote:

My ac guy said they used to hardly replace them 20 years ago. He said recently (no idea on how recent) they started making them all overseas and they go out all the time and is probably the second most common reason they are called.
That has been my experience as well.

So, (after doing some research), I've switched to buying only American-made capacitors. I think AmRad is one of the last:

AmRad USA Made Capacitors
Tx95Ag
10:41a, 5/8/24
NoahAg
11:01a, 5/8/24
In reply to JoeAggie1010
JoeAggie1010 said:

dcbowers said:

normaleagle05 said:

Please understand, this is a high voltage capacitor that can cause serious injury, or potentially death. One of the above capacitor pictures shows 370 Volts Alterating Current (VAC). It can be a simple fix if done correctly.
Don't you just have to turn the breaker off, or is there something else?
Burdizzo
11:14a, 5/8/24
In reply to NoahAg
As mentioned above, a capacitor stores energy for when the motor starts. That is when the motor draws the most current. It only lasts an instant, and the capacitor supplies that punch. Think of it as a battery that punches like Mike Tyson. To remove that punch, short across the terminals with a screwdriver prior to touching it with you hands.

The really nasty ones in your house are the ones in the microwave oven. There are stories of people dying after getting punched by those.
Bronco6Gen
11:22a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ag97
Ace Hardware is the only "box" store that will have them. Unfortunately they don't really keep the same hours as most of the other box stores. If you can, just buy them on Amazon. I've got 2 units and have replaced the capacitor 7 times between the two units. I keep two spares now, but one year I saw an A/C truck parked in the Lowe's parking lot at around 8:00, I waited in a spot near his truck and asked him when he came out if he had one on his truck. He did, and sold it to me for $20 cash, I was more than happy with the $10 profit he made. Malek wanted $350 for the exact same part just hours earlier.
JoeAggie1010
11:46a, 5/8/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

JoeAggie1010 said:

dcbowers said:

normaleagle05 said:

Don't you just have to turn the breaker off, or is there something else?
Yes, but, a capacitor holds a charge. That's why it was mentioned to discharge the capacitor with a screwdriver, discharging it from the positive & negative poles.
BKS_Aggie08
12:03p, 5/8/24
In reply to dcbowers
Youtube
TX_AG_10
12:05p, 5/8/24
In reply to Ag97
Grainger
Burdizzo
1:03p, 5/8/24
According to googletron these ECM motors don't have capacitors

So I googled the model number for this fan motor and found retail cost is a little over $200. Any guesses what the repair guy will charge? He is on the way at the moment, and I have not checked if Grainger carries them.

He is also probably going to replace the relay contacts. I am pretty sure I burned those up last night with my gerry-rigging.
Chetos
1:09p, 5/8/24
In reply to Charismatic Megafauna
Charismatic Megafauna said:

maddiedou said:

...relaying thoughts

Ba dum ching!

Before i touch a cap i make sure its discharged by putting a screwdriver from each of the prongs to the others

This thread has potential
Bronco6Gen
1:19p, 5/8/24
In reply to Burdizzo
Burdizzo said:

According to googletron these ECM motors don't have capacitors

So I googled the model number for this fan motor and found retail cost is a little over $200. Any guesses what the repair guy will charge? He is on the way at the moment, and I have not checked if Grainger carries them.

He is also probably going to replace the relay contacts. I am pretty sure I burned those up last night with my gerry-rigging.

I bought this one last year off of Amazon to replace mine last year for $280, AC guy wanted $1200 for OEM part plus labor. It was not hard to replace.

Edit to add; the capacitor is more for the compressor not the fan motor.
Tx95Ag
2:10p, 5/8/24
Looks like you have a fancy unit with variable speed (VS) control of the fan, so no capacitor. Could be the fan, VS controller or both. Hard to trouble shoot from here.

As stated above, the only capacitor is on the compressor motor.

Hold on to your wallet.
Aggie_2463
2:17p, 5/8/24
I've also replaced the fan motor on my outside unit. ~$200 for the part and wasnt hard to do.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings