Navasota River
5,780 Views | 41 Replies
Buford T. Justice
12:50p, 5/4/24
Is there a link to a web cam or drone footage of the Navasota River at Hwy 6?
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
TyHolden
12:51p, 5/4/24
curious as well. couldn't find one last night.
TyHolden
1:10p, 5/4/24
Buford T. Justice
1:11p, 5/4/24
The alternative would be to drive down and see the flooding first hand, but can't recall if anything could be seen at the last turnaround. Then again, law enforcement doesn't need a bunch of Looky Loo's.
TyHolden
1:16p, 5/4/24

TyHolden
1:18p, 5/4/24
this one is pretty good....somebody has a great drone

PS3D
1:21p, 5/4/24
I'd imagine those fields near Navasota River on Highway 6 are submerged as is usual after heavy rainfall.
MoreCushing4thePushing
1:34p, 5/4/24
In reply to PS3D
Not yet, but it is very high.
9dag
1:42p, 5/4/24
The KBTX link to the state website is not real time and just shows construction.
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
TChaney
2:28p, 5/4/24
Buford T. Justice
3:24p, 5/4/24
But that was pre-upstream dam.
oklaunion
4:57p, 5/4/24
Good thing the Brazos isn't so high yet. I remember the 90s when it was touching the bottom of the bridge on FM60 and was so high the Navasota reversed stream.
LJF78
5:25p, 5/4/24
Navasota River at 6 is not bad at all right now.. yes it's high but nothing major

Suppsed to be releasing more water this evening and tomorrow which could lead to flooding and possibility (slight) of closing HWY 6 at the river bridge according to City of Navasota

Very doubtful it gets to that point
CS78
10:06p, 5/4/24
Surge of water wont get to highway 6 until around Thursday. Some duffus from the city of Navasota told kbtx that it was going to flood over hwy 6 today.
CS78
10:08p, 5/4/24
In reply to LJF78
I doubt it too. Going to need 20 more feet of elevation to get to the highway. But the highway can act as a dam and push it higher than we might expect.
9dag
10:29p, 5/4/24
In reply to CS78
Kbtx
It is time to put the chairs in the wagon
TChaney
6:40a, 5/5/24
Goose83
8:13a, 5/5/24
In reply to oklaunion
oklaunion said:

Good thing the Brazos isn't so high yet. I remember the 90s when it was touching the bottom of the bridge on FM60 and was so high the Navasota reversed stream.
I remember my late father taking us out to see that, as it was quite a sight.
Stupe
8:37a, 5/5/24
I drove across it this morning and it's not close to flooding. The fields north of the river aren't even holding water.
EBrazosAg
11:55a, 5/5/24
Within a foot of the bottom of the bridges on Hwy 30. Txdot and Texas emergency mgmt trucks on the side of the road looking at bridges.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WolfCall
12:06p, 5/5/24
In reply to Goose83
Goose83 said:

oklaunion said:

I remember my late father taking us out to see that, as it was quite a sight.

Brazos River at Hwy 21 is 37.11 feet at 11:15 a.m. today. I'm not sure what this means for the people downstream.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-location/08108700/#parameterCode=00065&period=P7D&showMedian=false
CS78
12:20p, 5/5/24
In reply to WolfCall
That's pretty insignificant as far as the Brazos itself is concerned. But it is high enough to slow runoff out of the navasota.
CS78
9:57p, 5/5/24
Fyi, hwy 30 has been closed at the river bridge. Just a guess but probably be flooded for a couple days.
EBrazosAg
7:11a, 5/6/24
Hwy 30 still closed this am - contrary to the professed hope of opening at 6 am. Limestone release went from 12 to 17k yesterday pm.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bucketrunner
10:58a, 5/6/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
Is it a choice of flooding Lake Limestone homes or potentially taking out a bridge? Is there no middle ground?
BQ_90
11:16a, 5/6/24
In reply to Bucketrunner
Bucketrunner said:

Is it a choice of flooding Lake Limestone homes or potentially taking out a bridge? Is there no middle ground?
my guess is the choice is release water or have water go over the dam, which is never good choice
Jbob04
11:18a, 5/6/24
In reply to Bucketrunner
Limestone isn't a flood control reservoir, so when the lake is full like it is, the water level is near the top of the damn already. You breach that dam, you will have a whole lot more problems to deal with down stream.
Stupe
11:19a, 5/6/24
In reply to Bucketrunner
Bucketrunner said:

It's determined by rate of fill.

Harris County had to flood a bunch of neighborhoods during Harvey in order to keep the Addiks Resevoir from completely failing.

Sometimes there is no middle ground.
EBrazosAg
11:20a, 5/6/24
Limestone is for water supply and recreation (per Brazos RA website). So it is not a flood control lake. They have houses on it (unlike most flood control lakes) and try to keep it constant level. They will run it down for downstream water supply obligations, but do not let it go up for flood control. The emergency spillway is a long way away from anything there now.
Trenchant
1:53p, 5/6/24
Hwy 30 now open again across the Navasota.
AggiePhil
2:07p, 5/6/24
River of tears.
CS78
2:39p, 5/6/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg said:

The emergency spillway is a long way away from anything there now.

Im a big proponent of recreational use of our public water. But we should never be building homes or major structures inside the elevation of the emergency spillway. Just common sense.

Even at Somerville, the COE and tpwd wasted a ton on improvements below spillway elevation.
snaglepuss
2:50p, 5/6/24
Somerville releases to Brenham.
EBrazosAg
2:52p, 5/6/24
In reply to CS78
Somerville is a flood control lake. Recreation and water supply are not primary purpose.
CS78
3:11p, 5/6/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg said:

Somerville is a flood control lake. Recreation and water supply are not primary purpose.

I know. Was just using it as an example of how they build below emergency overflow on all of them. Bad policy regardless of use.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings