Soros Hack Garza is No Show to Travis County District Attorney Forum
5,986 Views | 89 Replies
cityagboy
8:10a, 3/14/24
In reply to PabloSerna
Trash is an opinion

But I agree it is a lot more complex than just opening up ADUs to SF lots.
Tobias Funke
8:47a, 3/14/24
This thread needs more people saying "hellhole"
BQ08
6:57p, 3/14/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

We live outside of city limits so can't vote, but my wife works downtown and gets to experience it all.

Isn't it nice to visit a city that is safer than Houston, Dallas or SA? Either way we live here, work here, kid goes to school here. We live just south of Rundberg on Lamar, which if you are familiar you would know isn't the nicest or fanciest part of town. My wife feels comfortable jogging at night and my kid rides his bike out and about

I get that austin probably doesn't match your politics but pretending it's just some violent hellhole is funny to me.
I mean, I was active duty Army for a while and deployed to Iraq… first time I got to triage a gunshot wound was walking into work downtown- a month into the job.

So yeah, I'm taking your assessment with a block of salt.
cityagboy
7:12p, 3/14/24
In reply to BQ08
BQ08 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

We live outside of city limits so can't vote, but my wife works downtown and gets to experience it all.

Isn't it nice to visit a city that is safer than Houston, Dallas or SA? Either way we live here, work here, kid goes to school here. We live just south of Rundberg on Lamar, which if you are familiar you would know isn't the nicest or fanciest part of town. My wife feels comfortable jogging at night and my kid rides his bike out and about

I get that austin probably doesn't match your politics but pretending it's just some violent hellhole is funny to me.
I mean, I was active duty Army for a while and deployed to Iraq… first time I got to triage a gunshot wound was walking into work downtown- a month into the job.

So yeah, I'm taking your assessment with a block of salt.

What assessment? You mean facts about Austin compared to other cities?

Sorry you had to deal with that in Austin. No one said austin is perfect or that there is zero gun violence.
Apache
8:06a, 3/15/24
In reply to cityagboy

I'm glad you & your family feel safe in the Rundberg area. It has definitely improved since I lived there briefly in the late 90's.... rising property values have forced out much of the bad elements.

That said, feeling safe & being safe are two different things. The area has much higher violent crime than other areas west of you. I would make sure your wife has mace when she runs. (I would recommend that for all women out alone anywhere btw)
The Fall Guy
2:21p, 3/15/24
Somebodys proud to live on Rundberg? Hookers and blow!
txags92
3:05p, 3/15/24
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

That said, feeling safe & being safe are two different things.

Not making a statement about Austin in particular, but this is very true and worth repeating. There are a lot of people who were victims of crime that felt safe right up until they weren't. Not saying to go around scared all the time, but proper respect for what is happening around you and preparation for how to prevent it from happening to you is always prudent.
cityagboy
5:17p, 3/15/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

Apache said:

That said, feeling safe & being safe are two different things.

Not making a statement about Austin in particular, but this is very true and worth repeating. There are a lot of people who were victims of crime that felt safe right up until they weren't. Not saying to go around scared all the time, but proper respect for what is happening around you and preparation for how to prevent it from happening to you is always prudent.

For sure. Things can happen anywhere.

The reality is though that violent crimes aren't happening too often to strangers. Most on that heat map are home burglaries with no one home, car break-ins, domestic disputes and non-domestic violence between people who know each other. Do other crimes happen? Sure

I teach my son to mentally keep his head and eyes down but physically keep them up and alert.
cityagboy
5:18p, 3/15/24
In reply to The Fall Guy
The Fall Guy said:

Somebodys proud to live on Rundberg? Hookers and blow!

We love our home and neighborhood. If you want to come see it I'll provide a couple drinks and we can check out the neighborhood.

Or you can continue being a *****
Apache
9:16p, 3/15/24
In reply to cityagboy
That map is specifically violent crime: murder, rape, assault, armed robbery
Not burglary or simple theft
cityagboy
10:01a, 3/16/24
In reply to Apache
Apache said:

That map is specifically violent crime: murder, rape, assault, armed robbery
Not burglary or simple theft

Thanks for sharing but most still happen between people who know each other
BQ78
11:05a, 3/16/24
In reply to cityagboy
Source?
cityagboy
11:17a, 3/16/24
In reply to BQ78
BQ78 said:

Source?

I'll pull it up later but from what I remember about 65% of murders in 2022 were committed on people who knew each other. I think rape is closer to 80%

So about 35% of murders are on strangers. No data here but I'd bet a decent amount of that 35% were in a situation or even instigating a situation that I will never be a part of. So the chance of murder is low.

(Looked up rape and murder. I was right on rape. Murder is tougher cause many murders are listed as unknown relationship which is different than being listed as stranger but it does look like about half is confirmed as having some relation)

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/perpetrators-sexual-violence#:~:text=Perpetrators%20of%20Sexual%20Violence%20Often%20Know%20the%20Victim&text=59%25%20were%20acquaintances,were%20strangers%20to%20the%20victim

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/offenses-known-to-law-enforcement/expanded/expanded-homicide-data#:~:text=(Based%20on%20Expanded%20Homicide%20Data%20Table%208.),were%20slain%20by%20family%20members.
TH36
2:17p, 4/16/24

I missed this jewel of a thread somehow.

I've got a project manager I know that lives up your way….

You might go look at the registered sex offender list for your area. Get back to me then about letting your kids ride their bikes alone.

Austin is a dump compared to when I was a kid. Thank god for Hays County and the last bastion of hope even though it's being invaded by the same ilk that finally ruined Austin.

Regards, born in Seton Main off 38th St in 1988 aka a real Austinite.
KRamp90
3:57p, 4/16/24
Born in St. David's in 1967...
The Fall Guy
9:44p, 4/16/24
In reply to TH36
TH36 said:

You might go look at the registered sex offender list for your area. Get back to me then about letting your kids ride their bikes alone.

Austin is a dump compared to when I was a kid. Thank god for Hays County and the last bastion of hope even though it's being invaded by the same ilk that finally ruined Austin.

Hays County i would say is just as bad or worse than Travis County now with going blue.
TH36
10:15p, 4/16/24
In reply to The Fall Guy
The Fall Guy said:

TH36 said:

Hays County i would say is just as bad or worse than Travis County now with going blue.

Depends on where you live. I'm in Dripping Springs ISD where they haven't gone totally off the reservation yet. Like I said, it's barely hanging on cause all the wackadoodle libs are plaguing this area as well….but it's still hanging on.
txags92
11:50a, 4/17/24
In reply to The Fall Guy
The Fall Guy said:

TH36 said:

Hays County going blue was a not insignificant factor in why we moved to Bastrop instead of Kyle or Buda when we moved up here from Houston.
cityagboy
7:54a, 4/22/24
Martin Cash
10:34a, 4/22/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

Funny how crime statistics drop when you quit prosecuting it.
cityagboy
11:07a, 4/22/24
In reply to Martin Cash
Martin Cash said:

cityagboy said:

Cause that has change over last year.

But keep bringing the hate, daddy tells you to hate us!!!!
KT 90
12:28p, 4/22/24
In reply to Martin Cash
Martin Cash said:

cityagboy said:

If you click on the replies to that Tweet/X post, you see that most people question the numbers.

This reply gives a better look at the homicide rates over a longer term. Take a guess when the police defunding took place:

Martin Cash
3:08p, 4/22/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

Martin Cash said:

cityagboy said:

When it comes to Garza, I WILL continue to bring the hate. The guy belongs in prison. And I have no idea what you mean about last year. Garza has been in office almost 3-1/2 years.
cityagboy
3:11p, 4/22/24
In reply to Martin Cash
Martin Cash said:

cityagboy said:

Martin Cash said:

cityagboy said:

When it comes to Garza, I WILL continue to bring the hate. The guy belongs in prison. And I have no idea what you mean about last year. Garza has been in office almost 3-1/2 years.
Yeah. He has been in office for awhile. That was my point.

And no I don't love him or other politicians in austin. I just don't like the nonsense spewed about austin being terrible
Martin Cash
9:20p, 4/24/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

Yeah. He has been in office for awhile. That was my point.

And no I don't love him or other politicians in austin. I just don't like the nonsense spewed about austin being terrible
Austin elected this garbanzo. Twice.
txags92
9:26p, 4/24/24
Going to be interesting to see how he handles the pro-Hamas folks getting arrested for trying to occupy the south lawn at tu.
txags92
8:32a, 4/25/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

Not specific just to Austin, but the underreporting of crime is a real thing and has grown worse since 2020. When people don't believe a crime will be prosecuted, they stop reporting it to the police. The police reports of crime sent to the FBI are declining, but the number of people reporting being a victim of a crime are increasing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-media-say-crime-is-going-down-dont-believe-it-e5b07784?st=577t634vz92g4vw&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
cityagboy
8:43a, 4/25/24
Call center response time is better, police response time is better. I personally have called 911 a twice in the last 3 months for weird random things and got through right away with police/ EMS showing up quickly

But yeah keep finding excuses to hate on y'all's favorite city.

You all know I'm not here to defend a single politician but the city is improving and it's not a hell hole like some of yall believe it is.
txags92
8:52a, 4/25/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

Call center response time is better, police response time is better. I personally have called 911 a twice in the last 3 months for weird random things and got through right away with police/ EMS showing up quickly

You all know I'm not here to defend a single politician but the city is improving and it's not a hell hole like some of yall believe it is.
Dude, did you even read the article? It is not criticizing Austin so you can put your hackles down for a minute and try to have a rational discussion. It is saying that nationwide there is a divergence between what police report statistics are saying about crime and what people are saying when surveyed about whether they have been a victim of crime. In the past those measures have tracked each other fairly well, but not since Covid. It appears to be a wider divergence in larger cities and in places where DAs are prosecuting a lower percentage of reported crimes than they did before Covid. I didn't post it to "hate on Austin", but just to point out that celebrating small declines in reported crime may be unwise given that it may be the reports have gone down, but not the actual number of crimes.
cityagboy
8:58a, 4/25/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

Dude, did you even read the article? It is not criticizing Austin so you can put your hackles down for a minute and try to have a rational discussion. It is saying that nationwide there is a divergence between what police report statistics are saying about crime and what people are saying when surveyed about whether they have been a victim of crime. In the past those measures have tracked each other fairly well, but not since Covid. It appears to be a wider divergence in larger cities and in places where DAs are prosecuting a lower percentage of reported crimes than they did before Covid. I didn't post it to "hate on Austin", but just to point out that celebrating small declines in reported crime may be unwise given that it may be the reports have gone down, but not the actual number of crimes.

From previous posts I think it's fair that I interpreted the tone how I did
txags92
9:46a, 4/25/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

It is not healthy for you to live your life angry at people you don't agree with. Rational discussion is possible if you let down your walls a little bit and listen to what people say instead of what you think they are saying. I know you think you are the voice of reason here, but that is not how you come across to others.
cityagboy
10:00a, 4/25/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

It is not healthy for you to live your life angry at people you don't agree with. Rational discussion is possible if you let down your walls a little bit and listen to what people say instead of what you think they are saying. I know you think you are the voice of reason here, but that is not how you come across to others.

Woh. That's an overreaction. I am willing to have a conversation with anyone. Most of my family and friends are conservative with wildly different viewpoints than myself. I'm also not nearly as liberal as most here think I am.

I stand by that based on previous posts on this thread the tone I interpreted from that post was fair. Many come here to simply slam Austin and troll those who live in the city.
txags92
10:22a, 4/25/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

Woh. That's an overreaction. I am willing to have a conversation with anyone. Most of my family and friends are conservative with wildly different viewpoints than myself. I'm also not nearly as liberal as most here think I am.

I stand by that based on previous posts on this thread the tone I interpreted from that post was fair. Many come here to simply slam Austin and troll those who live in the city.
Got it. Would rather complain about other people tarring Austin as a hellhole than discuss mainstream media reports of nationwide trend of underreported crime stats.
cityagboy
10:34a, 4/25/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

Got it. Would rather complain about other people tarring Austin as a hellhole than discuss mainstream media reports of nationwide trend of underreported crime stats.

Dude. You are trolling now. Looking at this thread and others I am clearly here for discussion, and yes, I will call out those who are simply here to trash austin.
txags92
11:43a, 4/25/24
In reply to cityagboy
cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

txags92 said:

cityagboy said:

Dude. You are trolling now. Looking at this thread and others I am clearly here for discussion, and yes, I will call out those who are simply here to trash austin.
Ok, so I posted a link to a WSJ article for discussion that doesn't trash Austin and I didn't trash Austin in my post. Yet all you want to do is complain about people trashing Austin instead of talking about the implications of the article relative to reports of crime decreasing locally.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings