Flooring Contractor Rec - Westside
846 Views | 13 Replies
rilloaggie
3:15p, 5/5/24
Anybody have a flooring guy that they'd recommend? Located in west Houston and looking to get ~2000 square feet of tile installed. I installed LVP back in early 2020 and we aren't impressed with how its held up. TIA
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
3:19p, 5/5/24
Send me a text and I'll connect you with the guy who's doing the tile on my flip. Cell number is in my profile.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TRL-Ag
3:18p, 5/6/24
my tile guy is great, and will be in and out super fast. Is the LVP floating or glue down?
aTm_bomb
3:37p, 5/6/24
Targeting LVP due to waterproof and hard wearing from kids. Subscribed to issues.
TRL-Ag
3:57p, 5/6/24
In reply to aTm_bomb
LVP is a great product, but you get what you pay for. Use a locking system with a "lifetime" wear layer and you should be fine. Shaw makes a great product. No kids but 2 100 lb labradoodles haven't done anything to it.

Just use a good product and have it installed correctly. The only drawback with it is that if you're heavy footed it'll hurt your feet over time. There's no "give" like you get with real wood floors. That being said you will have the same problem with tile.
AJ02
9:56p, 5/6/24
Just a ballpark....how much does it cost to install tile these days? Looking at the tile that looks like wood. Hoping it'd hold up better to 4 large dogs but I have NO idea what it costs to have that done. Probably 1000 sq ft max if I had to guess?
TRL-Ag
10:20p, 5/6/24
In reply to AJ02
Demo & install or just install?
FarmerJohn
11:41p, 5/6/24
In reply to aTm_bomb
Great stuff. Love the waterproof aspect and not caring when my son spills something on it. And ours has just enough give that it doesn't kill my knees too bad if I get down on the floor. Tough too. No bad dings after 4 years.

Negatives? I guess not enough pattern variation for it to look completely natural.
The Kraken
7:43a, 5/7/24
LVP, go with the higher end products that have beveled edges. Entry level LVP is no bueno. Same with engineered wood floors, never go with the entry level. As always, you get what you pay for.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
AJ02
8:35a, 5/7/24
In reply to TRL-Ag
TRL-Ag said:

Demo & install or just install?

Install. We have carpet and I want it pulled up and replaced with the tile.
rilloaggie
9:05a, 5/7/24
In reply to TRL-Ag
We have loose lay LVP. Was planning on renting a dumpster and tossing it prior to install to avoid paying demo for such an easy process.

Our issues stem from cheaper product and less than ideal substrate. We had engineered floor that they glued to our slab. I demoed it myself and it pulled up a fair amount of thinset when it came up. Foundation work was done in the past and they did a crappy job of smoothing the patched areas and cracks also. Where we had carpet and the foundation was smooth, or in areas where I was able to lay down self leveler smoothly, the floors are still in fair shape. In spots where the foundation is out of plane by even a little the natural bend and "give" from walking on the floors has cracked the LVP and broken the lock parts of the LVP. I think what I spent on the install back in 2020 would be roughly what demo would cost these days so other than the time I spend putting the stuff in(which was back during April 2020- early covid days so my time was pretty free lol), I won't be out much.
TRL-Ag
11:39a, 5/7/24
In reply to rilloaggie
I'd be happy to send my tile guy your way. If you had stars I'd send you a DM. Let me know the best way to reach out
rilloaggie
11:57a, 5/7/24
In reply to TRL-Ag
Aggiemike96
2:15p, 5/7/24
I've used a guy/crew for several projects. Flooring is $1 per sq ft to demo, remove, and haul off. $2 for the install and I provided all tile and installation materials. Absolutely pleased every time.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings