The rise of "Student Driver" bumper stickers
4,145 Views | 38 Replies
cupcakesprinkles
8:29p, 5/7/24
Has anyone else noticed a lot of cars all of a sudden having "Student Driver" bumper stickers? I live in NW Houston and have never seen so many before. Is there some angle the scammers have uncovered since the paper plate crackdown?
TexAgs1992
8:44p, 5/7/24
In reply to cupcakesprinkles
cupcakesprinkles said:

Has anyone else noticed a lot of cars all of a sudden having "Student Driver" bumper stickers? I live in NW Houston and have never seen so many before. Is there some angle the scammers have uncovered since the paper plate crackdown?
This would be an awesome scam if so.
Ags #1
8:47p, 5/7/24
Can't parents now reach their kids how to drive and log their hours?
rilloaggie
9:00p, 5/7/24
My parents did this back in 2003. The folks I usually see with the big yellow placard on the back of their car usually look fresh off the boat and drive like they might be full tarded.
Coog97
9:06p, 5/7/24
cupcakesprinkles said:

Have noticed the same thing and asked my wife and others if this is "a thing" now, some kind of Tik Tok bull***t, and no one seems to know.

They're everywhere. Usually vehicle has at least two of them, both seemingly placed haphazardly and intentionally crooked.
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Jugstore Cowboy
9:16p, 5/7/24
In reply to Coog97
I've seen it discussed on other sites for the last year or two. It's some kind of a thing now. All over the country.
bigjag19
9:26p, 5/7/24
I put a couple on my car before I go do Houston **** in traffic.
ccolley68
9:49p, 5/7/24
They're everywhere down here in Sugarlandistan. Word is the folks from India and other places, particularly places where women are second class citizens and not allowed to drive, when they come here they have to start at square one and so many adults driving with the student driver stickers are the student themselves. Also why prior to the Rona, and the rise of at home drivers Ed, down here in the Stan, there was a drivers Ed place in every single shopping center. There was one drivers Ed place in my entire hometown, and it was only teens in there.
Texaggie7nine
11:50p, 5/7/24
Most of the drivers I see with it are white. I just figured it was paranoid people afraid of road rage drivers shooting them.
7nine
BMX Bandit
5:55a, 5/8/24
Seen plenty of white and Hispanic folks ITL with them. Not sure how it could be a scam like paper plates. What wouid the scam be?

Seems more of newest "baby on board" trend.

I was going to drive like a maniac, but I see you are a student driver. I will be considerate now.
YZ250
7:40a, 5/8/24
If they are student drivers then how come a lot of the ones I've seen are driving by themselves? Where is the teacher?
YZ250
7:47a, 5/8/24
Are they trying to get around not having a driver's license?
BohunkAg
9:11a, 5/8/24
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

Can't parents now reach their kids how to drive and log their hours?
It is more common now for parents to teach their kids to drive. Look up the "Aceable" app. This is self taught drivers ed.
combat wombat™
9:22a, 5/8/24
I have twin 15-year-olds who are learning to drive. I bought a set to put on the car to warn other people because these guys scare me. I wish my car had a second brake. I would feel a whole lot better.

FTR, they are magnetic and I put them on while one of the boys is driving and then they come right back off. I don't drive around with them on there.
Milwaukees Best Light
9:26a, 5/8/24
No way am I teaching my kids to drive. Teaching them potty training was enough for me. I am contracting that **** out.
WES2006AG
9:35a, 5/8/24
Had an idiot with one of these stickers on their Cadillac pass me doing at least 45 swerving around people in a school zone this morning. Guess they need some more learning.
AgCPA95
10:22a, 5/8/24
In reply to Milwaukees Best Light
Milwaukees Best Light said:

No way am I teaching my kids to drive. Teaching them potty training was enough for me. I am contracting that **** out.

Haha. My thoughts as well. We sub that out!
Ags #1
10:27a, 5/8/24
In reply to BohunkAg
Thanks! I'm almost at that age with my kids.
Furlock Bones
10:43a, 5/8/24
same. my kids need the professional direction of a chain-smoking narcoleptic just like I had.
NoahAg
10:46a, 5/8/24
In reply to YZ250
YZ250 said:

If they are student drivers then how come a lot of the ones I've seen are driving by themselves? Where is the teacher?
B/c they are still learning. My son got his license a couple of months ago but he's still inexperienced, so I'll still have him put the magnet on (when I remember).

I think they're a good thing, especially in Houston traffic. When I see them I am certainly more patient. It's also fun to play "Guess Who's Driving!" when you see one.

A) 16 year old white kid
B) middle-aged Asian immigrant
C) other
Texan_Aggie
10:54a, 5/8/24
In reply to NoahAg
If its an older model Toyota Camry/Corolla, it's almost always B), in my experience.
AJ02
11:11a, 5/8/24
Friend of mine in highschool found one of those magnets and stuck it on his car. Mind you, this was the 90s when it was all still done through actual driver's ed schools and not parents.

He did it to try and be funny. Put it on his car and drove like a maniac. He actually got pulled over and into some trouble with the cops for having it on there and not actually being a student driver.
cajunaggie08
11:25a, 5/8/24
A department at my office got a couple of engineers transferred from India and for a few weeks I noticed their cars had "student driver" stickers on them. It made me laugh. There must be something going on in the immigrant communities where they tell each other you need a student sticker if you're new.
combat wombat™
12:41p, 5/8/24
Milwaukees Best Light said:

The driving school we are using gives them lessons in their cars, with a passenger/instructor brake, but they still have to practice 30 hours with us. We'd have to pay a great deal more to have them get their practice on with the school, too. Like &3k for both of them.
HtownAg92
2:08p, 5/8/24
We had Drivers Ed at school from our lesbonic girls basketball coach. During the summer, she would do the driving part by picking kids up around town each day. I had an outdoor summer job, which meant shorts and shoes only, but it was a bit out of town. I arranged to do my driving part during lunch breaks, but the car was to pick me up in town at my house. So I would borrow my friend's dirt bike and haul ass back roads home for drivers ed.

One day the local cop pulled me over for speeding, no license, no helmet, etc. and was reading me the riot act and giving me a ticket when the drivers ed car drove to pick me up with 2 other kids inside. I hadn't had time to get home and get a shirt yet. I gave them the "one minute" signal and then got in the car when the cop was done. Teacher was just looking down shaking her head.

Small town fun.
Jock 07
7:56p, 5/8/24
In reply to Jugstore Cowboy
Jugstore Cowboy said:

I've seen it discussed on other sites for the last year or two. It's some kind of a thing now. All over the country.

Yup, as a data point, I've noticed them here in CO over the past year as well.
drwong
9:51p, 5/8/24
At the local driving school in Pearland, the youngest instructor has to be 70. The oldest few could have fought in WWII. My son came home one day and said the instructor that day started the session by saying "any of you guys Indian?" When no one said they were, he started railing on Indians and what terrible drivers they are.
ccolley68
9:58p, 5/8/24
In reply to drwong
He's not wrong
bigjag19
10:50p, 5/8/24
In reply to ccolley68
ccolley68 said:

He's not wrong

I died
aftershock
11:46p, 5/8/24
Two types of people have those on their car:

1. People who thinks it's funny haha to have them (kids, wannabe influencers, up-to-no-gooders, etc)

2. People who drive with hazards on in the rain (dumb people, people who aren't from around here, people who should just use public transportation, etc)

My brother has one he slips on his buddies cars when they're not looking. He got me the other day. Drove around with it, definitely didn't know it was there. It was good clean fun. He's group 1 above.
MosesHallDeadPot94
4:21p, 5/9/24
I bet a large number do not have a valid driver's license - they are hoping the police department will simply look the other way if there was a violation.
Biz Ag
2:53p, 5/11/24
There's a "BE PATIENT - STUDENT DRIVER" bumper sticker on the back of a new Audi in my neighborhood.
GoAgs92
7:42p, 5/14/24
I put the magnets on the car when I taught my kids, but didn't leave them on after the lesson.

My daughter would drive so slow, this magnets probably saved me from getting shot
combat wombat™
8:48p, 5/14/24
In reply to GoAgs92
GoAgs92 said:

I put the magnets on the car when I taught my kids, but didn't leave them on after the lesson.

My daughter would drive so slow, this magnets probably saved me from getting shot

Yeah, they are kind of my apology to the normal drivers of the world for the stupid crap my kids are doing f as they learn.
The Milkman
9:21p, 5/14/24
Been seeing a ton of these for the last few years here in DC/Maryland area. Never understood it.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings