Expedition vs Tahoe vs ??
3,091 Views | 41 Replies
baldandbeautiful
11:21p, 5/4/24
So, it's time to move on from the minivan. It's been absolutely great, but the wife is ready for a full size suv. We test drove both (expedition and Tahoe) and liked them both. Can I go wrong with either one of these?

Expedition "felt" roomier inside, but Tahoe officially has more cubic feet. The front seats of the Tahoe seemed a little more cramped, but it sure does look pretty from the outside.

I really think I'd be fine with either one. But wanted to check here to see if there's anything I need to know before moving forward.
HollywoodBQ
11:33p, 5/4/24
I'm a 25 year Expedition owner so I'm biased but relevant to current models, check out all the electronic stuff and figure out which navigation, entertainment, environmental controls you like better. It's really going to come down to personal preference.

There will be features that maybe you can't stand. For instance, a few years ago, I rented a Suburban that had the lane departure sensor that vibrated the seat every time you came close to the lane marker. Driving in Houston, getting my butt vibrated got really old really quick.
Jock 07
11:54p, 5/4/24
Went with a max over a suburban last year mainly due to the interior. The GM product was dated when compared with ford.
Redstone
12:17a, 5/5/24
In reply to baldandbeautiful
I had a 2001 Tahoe, and my brother currently has a 2010 Expedition.
f2foxes2001
1:29a, 5/5/24
Do you like n/a v8 power or turbo 6 power? Gas mileage should not be part of your equation. I'm a cheby guy who drives a ford diesel. I still like Chevrolet gas engines.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
6:48a, 5/5/24
Expy is more roomy everywhere but the trunk.

Tahoe/yukon look better imo.

Expy can only get eco boost which is fine. If getting Tahoe is get a V8 which is also fine.

Both have their own issues but since Covid pretty much all vehicles seem to be on the uptick with quality flaws.

It's more about preference than anything. If you do t need the third row, check out the new Lexus GX550. Probably be way more reliable. Likewise, if you don't need a third row check the sequoia. Sequoia has a third row but def not a full size third row.
nortex97
7:09a, 5/5/24
Sequoia's have a big following, did a rather large update/change I think in the past couple years.
P.H. Dexippus
8:41a, 5/5/24
Do you prefer a turbo 6, a diesel 6, a small 8 or a large 8?
TSW2012
9:24a, 5/5/24
It's a bit dated compared to the competition but the power train I trust most and the best bang for the buck is the Nissan Armada
aTm2004
9:53a, 5/5/24
Whichever one will have the least transmission problems.
El Chupacabra
10:07a, 5/5/24
Had a Jeep Waggoneer as a rental a few weeks back. Is that on the list?
Ogre09
11:43a, 5/5/24
Gen 2 Sequoia
baldandbeautiful
11:45a, 5/5/24
The jeep is a little more than I'd like to spend. And have ruled out the sequoia due to smallish 3rd row.

I honestly don't have a preference for the engine (fords are all v6 ecoboost, chevys are all v8) as that I'm not going to be towing anything and the gas mileage looks pretty similar. I am a little concerned that the ford is supposed to get premium gas for full performance. What would I expect if I didn't splurge for the expensive gas?
P.H. Dexippus
12:42p, 5/5/24
Less performance as engine adjusts to prevent knock, potentially longevity issues if towing or high loads regularly, slightly less mpg
Buck Turgidson
1:28p, 5/5/24
Expedition all the way.
AgPT06
1:31p, 5/5/24
Sequoia if you got the funds.
drumboy
3:07p, 5/5/24
In reply to TSW2012
TSW2012 said:

It's a bit dated compared to the competition but the power train I trust most and the best bang for the buck is the Nissan Armada

You can get a used qx80 for good deals too. 5.6L V8 with 400 hp and lots of 4x4s.
Corps_Ag12
4:15p, 5/5/24
In reply to El Chupacabra
El Chupacabra said:

I've seen quite a few Instagram videos of the body off of a wagoner frame at the dealership. Not sure what that's about.
1agswitchin4lanes
7:34p, 5/5/24
Have Tahoe and Expedition max.

Expedition has comfier seats and better ergonomics.

Like the expedition much more in almost all aspects, except for exhaust note.

reproag
8:40a, 5/6/24
Expedition but I'm 100% bias
1agswitchin4lanes
10:24a, 5/6/24
In reply to Corps_Ag12
Corps_Ag12 said:

El Chupacabra said:

I've seen quite a few Instagram videos of the body off of a wagoner frame at the dealership. Not sure what that's about.

They can't even put their logos on straight, how can they build everything else?

George08
11:57a, 5/6/24
The 2025 tahoe will be released this fall and looks super nice. I'd much prefer the gas 5.3 with the 10 speed transmission over the competition.
Buck Turgidson
12:13p, 5/6/24
In reply to nortex97
nortex97 said:

Sequoia's have a big following, did a rather large update/change I think in the past couple years.
The new ones are very disappointing. We have two older ones and were looking forward to the new ones until we saw one in person. Also, the pricing is too high, as it is on several Toyota vehicles now. Simple, rugged and reasonably priced no longer describes Toyotas. At the same time, their interiors are amateurish compared to Ford, Ram & GM.
Ogre09
1:25p, 5/6/24
In reply to George08
Yukon Denali 6.2
1agswitchin4lanes
1:29p, 5/6/24
In reply to George08
George08 said:

The 2025 tahoe will be released this fall and looks super nice. I'd much prefer the gas 5.3 with the 10 speed transmission over the competition.

I don't like 2025 with the melted face and low headlight look like they're doing with their SUV design language.

This one is much more handsome.

Jock 07
1:31p, 5/6/24
In reply to Buck Turgidson
Buck Turgidson said:

nortex97 said:

The new ones are very disappointing. We have two older ones and were looking forward to the new ones until we saw one in person. Also, the pricing is too high, as it is on several Toyota vehicles now. Simple, rugged and reasonably priced no longer describes Toyotas. At the same time, their interiors are amateurish compared to Ford, Ram & GM.

Not derail the thread but one of the things with my wife's old highlander was the fact that the radio cut off when you turned off the ignition instead of opening the door like every other manufacturer. Is this still the case with Toyotas?
kyledr04
2:17p, 5/6/24
Also don't forget to consider the gm 3.0 diesel. The updated version will be in the 25 Yukon/Tahoe.

Everyone I know that has one loves it but they're hard to find.
1agswitchin4lanes
2:28p, 5/6/24
In reply to Jock 07
Jock 07 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

nortex97 said:

Not derail the thread but one of the things with my wife's old highlander was the fact that the radio cut off when you turned off the ignition instead of opening the door like every other manufacturer. Is this still the case with Toyotas?

It would be easy for them to wire RAP into the BCM but they don't.
AggieRxDealer
3:35p, 5/6/24
In reply to kyledr04
Picked one up a few weeks ago and we love it
chrisclyburn
3:58p, 5/6/24
In reply to Kyle Field Shade Chaser
Just took delivery of a GX550, the third row actually has significantly more leg and head room than my z71 tahoe, but is only 2 wide. The 2nd row has significantly less hip room than the tahoe as well. Fine for adults but tight with 3 car seats across.

Buck Turgidson
4:36p, 5/6/24
In reply to Ogre09
Ogre09 said:

Yukon Denali 6.2
We test drove one about a month back and it had a really nice interior.
Teslag
4:42p, 5/6/24
In reply to George08
George08 said:

The 2025 tahoe will be released this fall and looks super nice. I'd much prefer the diesel 3.0 with the 10 speed transmission over the competition.

That 3.0 Babymax may be the best half ton engine out right now.
Mookie
7:14p, 5/6/24
I have a brand new Tahoe high country and sold my Expy Max Limited when I got it. I miss the ford a lot, this Tahoe is very underwhelming
easttexasaggie04
1:35p, 5/7/24
I don't like our 2019 Expedition Platinum. Had to replace transmission at 65,000 miles and something always seems to be messing up. Would not recommend.
Greener Acres
3:17p, 5/7/24
When I compared the Wagoneer/Expedition/Tahoe I found the prices much more comparable than what was commonly posted in online reviews - indicating the Wagoneer was higher priced. The Expy was continually the highest when adding in 4wd and the features I wanted because of how the packages require so man other add-ons. The Tahoe was equally priced (though there are much cheaper options in that lineup) but didn't seem to have an interior that was as nice as the Wagoneer or Expedition.

I've got a year old Wagoneer (series II, advanced all terrain package). I skipped the mostly tech based updates which seemed to have the most problems. With about 28k on the odometer I don't have any complaints other than occasionally wondering if I should have gotten the Wagoneer L. Its fantastic for road trips and drives smaller than it looks.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings