Couple of really cool RVs hit the market
2,616 Views | 32 Replies
knoxtom
9:16a, 5/6/24
The Storyteller Hilt

Ram 5500 based, huge electrical system, floating cabin, tows 20k. Absolute beast. Storyteller kinda invented the large production adventure van market. The electrical system in this is just amazing. Doesn't look like they missed on much. This one makes me wish I didn't put so much into my van over the past year, tempted to sell mine and get one anyway.

https://storytelleroverland.com/pages/hilt

The 27North rexrover. Ford 250 based. I have looked at some of these 27north vans and the attention to detail is impressive. This is a clean unit. Love the build touches. Needs more electric and it would be hard to tow a vehicle with this one but it sure is clean.

https://www.the27north.com/rexrover
drumboy
9:29a, 5/6/24
Love 4 wheel campers.
RangerRick9211
9:38a, 5/6/24
In reply to knoxtom
I did not see Storyteller hopping on the truck trend.

Our builder is also getting in the truck game: https://driveovp.com/pages/expedition-vehicles.

I have zero interest (not that I'd ever afford a $446k RV) because of the size. Our 170 is tight enough in a normal parking lot and our local forest roads. The Hilt is 5' longer and 4' taller!

I initially wanted to go truck camper > Sprinter. Something like, https://scoutcampers.com/kenai/, that could still seat 4/sleep 4. I'd still go that direction over a full conversion.
knoxtom
9:54a, 5/6/24
I really like the storyteller Hilt. Almost bought a Mode when I got my van, but I just couldn't see having my son sleep in the chair thing, and hated the bathroom/shower setup.

Ended up buying a Transit AWD unit with an almost king bed, a dropdown double bed, and small bathroom. Negative is that I have had to fix/rebuild every system on that whole thing. The van drives like a SUV, it is really easy.

I like that Hilt because we could bring all 3 people and all 3 dogs. It gets really cozy in the van with the whole crew.
knoxtom
9:54a, 5/6/24
In reply to knoxtom
knoxtom said:

I really like the storyteller Hilt. Almost bought a Mode when I got my van, but I just couldn't see having my son sleep in the chair thing, and hated the bathroom/shower setup.

Ended up buying a Transit AWD unit with an almost king bed, a dropdown double bed, and small bathroom. Negative is that I have had to fix/rebuild every system on that whole thing. The van drives like a SUV, it is really easy.

I like that Hilt because we could bring all 3 people and all 3 dogs. It gets really cozy in the van with the whole crew. I hate that each wheel weighs 285 pounds though. Couldn't imagine changing one.
RangerRick9211
10:20a, 5/6/24
In reply to knoxtom
knoxtom said:

I like that Hilt because we could bring all 3 people and all 3 dogs. It gets really cozy in the van with the whole crew.

We're 2 adults + 5 year old + lab in a 170. We have an elevator bed and the bottom converts into a queen. Fixed wet bath.

I bailed on a Revel order because of the jank bench seats and the jank quality. Storyteller's halo shower was a no-go for the wife.
Naveronski
3:12p, 5/6/24
Everyone wants an EarthRoamer until they see the EarthRoamer price tag.
Hagen95
3:18p, 5/6/24
Those are pretty flipping sweet rides. However, I don't see the pictures of the hookers/blow that should be coming with it for those prices.
CanyonAg77
4:09p, 5/6/24
I love these type of go-anywhere RVs. One question:

Where can they go?

Most parks aren't going to let you just go cross country and camp anywhere. 99% of the places you can go, I can get to in a minivan

Would be glad to be educated otherwise
knoxtom
4:43p, 5/6/24
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

Where can they go?

Most parks aren't going to let you just go cross country and camp anywhere. 99% of the places you can go, I can get to in a minivan

A large percentage of the western US is open to camping anywhere so long as you are more than 200 feet from a road and 200 feet from a river/creek. Something like that. Close enough.

Look at the campendium website and just look at the stuff a long way down gravel roads.

Specifically here is a great one...

Look up Oh Be Joyful campsite in Crested Butte. You have to cross a rather deep creek to get to it. It is one of the most amazing places in all of america and in May and June it is a fantastic kayaking, hiking, biking party. You aren't getting there in a minivan.

If you don't like that one look up Doctor Park (CO) or Garcia Park (NM). These will get you there in style.
Teslag
4:50p, 5/6/24
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

Where can they go?

Basically, your average Texan will have little use for one.
knoxtom
5:00p, 5/6/24
In reply to Teslag
Teslag said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Where can they go?

Basically, your average Texan will have little use for one.

I know of very few places in Texas where this would be needed. You need proximity to public land to have a use for these. Western half of the US.

Despite all of that truth, they will sell more of these in Florida than anywhere else in the US.
Aggie_Boomin 21
5:09p, 5/6/24
In reply to knoxtom
knoxtom said:

Look up Oh Be Joyful campsite in Crested Butte. You have to cross a rather deep creek to get to it. It is one of the most amazing places in all of america and in May and June it is a fantastic kayaking, hiking, biking party. You aren't getting there in a minivan.

When's the last time you went there? I don't think you can drive across the slate river anymore, at least not near the trailhead. The campsites are on the side of the river that the road out of CB is on. Might be dispersed camping allowed across the river, but you'd have to walk there using the new-ish bridge they put in.

But yeah to the bigger point these are good for reaching dispersed camping on public land. Very large overlanding rigs, which does come with some limitations.
CanyonAg77
5:17p, 5/6/24
Thanks for the replies. Maybe the Florida sales are for beaches?
knoxtom
7:52p, 5/6/24
In reply to Aggie_Boomin 21
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

knoxtom said:

When's the last time you went there? I don't think you can drive across the slate river anymore, at least not near the trailhead. The campsites are on the side of the river that the road out of CB is on. Might be dispersed camping allowed across the river, but you'd have to walk there using the new-ish bridge they put in.

But yeah to the bigger point these are good for reaching dispersed camping on public land. Very large overlanding rigs, which does come with some limitations.

It has been over ten years. Sad that scene is gone. The obj kayak scene was pretty awesome in early June. Talking boaters into running stupid falls, solid levels of stupidity. It was a great scene
RangerRick9211
8:55p, 5/6/24
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

Where can they go?

Again, I'm in a 2" lifted AWD 170 Sprinter. I'm not close to a go-anywhere, but we do have a use case for something capable.

100% of our "overlanding" are forest roads. That said, 99.9% of forest roads are not regularly maintained.

A minivan was not getting to this spot. No way without some aftermarket clearance.

And you're right on Natty Parks. They won't let you randomly disperse. But Natty Forest, Fed Wilderness, BLM, and most State parks are full gas open. Luckily, 53% of Oregon is one of the above with Crater NP being the only place off-limits - so call it 50% is open for us to disperse (including all of Portland I guess).

There's also the elements case. I'm taking my Sprinter (or any of those in OP) over a minivan to get to the ski hill during a storm.
FIDO*98*
9:17p, 5/6/24
Quote:

UPPING THE GAME ON QUALITY, LOWERING THE BARRIER TO ENTRY ON PRICE

We believe adventure belongs to everybody

also

Quote:

SEE-THROUGH PRICING. $446,322*
D Nauti
9:43p, 5/6/24
I like the 27 north pics, young family in their $400000 RV riding off on some Walmart Mountain Bikes.
JSKolache
10:40p, 5/6/24
Half a million dollar for a dodge cabover. White peopo...
agdaddy04
10:41p, 5/6/24
In reply to Naveronski
Naveronski said:

Everyone wants an EarthRoamer until they see the EarthRoamer price tag.

Yep, we were selling parts to them for the HD but they didn't get quite as much interest in them as they were hoping and killed it. They've still got a neat operation though.
Naveronski
11:48p, 5/6/24
In reply to agdaddy04
"we"?
agdaddy04
12:13a, 5/7/24
In reply to Naveronski
Yes, I live about 15 minutes away from their facility and I work for a hydraulic company.
CanyonAg77
7:06a, 5/7/24
In reply to RangerRick9211
"A minivan was not getting to this spot"???

To quote Bugs Bunny, "He don't know me very well, do he?"

Running joke in our family that I would drive our Honda Oddy almost anywhere. Crossed Spanish Peaks in Colorado via a very sketchy road. As we exited, we passed a lifted 4x4 pickup whose occupants stared at us in disbelief
easttexasaggie04
10:33a, 5/7/24
Wowza... you could get a sweet airplane for that.
MouthBQ98
10:52a, 5/7/24
Clamping in remote areas is possible if money is no object.

I still prefer an old reliable 4x4 and a tent. Throw in an air mattress and a battery powered fan, and life is good.

You can overland in west texas but mostly only in Big Bend and Big Bend ranch so it really just getting to some fairly remote campsites. I've never seen a really big 4x4 out there though.
Naveronski
11:26a, 5/7/24
In reply to MouthBQ98
Campsite to campsite to campsite is about as close to "overlanding" you can get in Texas.

I saw at big unimog style truck at BBNP a while back, but I believe it rolled over a couple days later.
BurnetAggie99
2:13p, 5/7/24
That 27 North Rexrover looks awesome but like some have mentioned that thing is a minimum $350k
JB
3:43p, 5/7/24
Different stroked for different folks. I get it Pros an cons to every camper type.

Here is my current setup. 20 year old 39' Fleetwood diesel, remodeled with bunks. Old Bronco. We paid less than $40k for it 2 years ago. Market is kinda down on them right now Headed back up to Ouray for the 4th in a few months
JB
3:57p, 5/7/24
On the Rex, they sure do advertise the whole family, but looks like you are converting the dining table into a bed ever night/morning for the kids. That seems like a pain in the ass.

The both seem like a young rich or retired rich couple kinda camper.
Naveronski
5:55p, 5/7/24
In reply to JB
JB said:

On the Rex, they sure do advertise the whole family, but looks like you are converting the dining table into a bed ever night/morning for the kids. That seems like a pain in the ass.

The both seem like a young rich or retired rich couple kinda camper.
The dining table to bunk changeover is the biggest issue we have with getting an (affordable?) RV.
NoahAg
11:41a, 5/8/24
Why does the Rexrover only tow 5K? Seems like a F250 could do a lot more, even with the added weight.
But I'm no expert on these things.
FightinTAC08
12:10p, 5/8/24
All that payload from the cabover is going to reduce the weight that can be on the hitch and thus the amount of available payload that transfers from the tongue of anything being towed.

i'm guessing they've adjusted the actual towing capacity down for that from what ford's default is.
knoxtom
1:07p, 5/8/24
The F250 single rear wheel diesels they use have a GVWR of 18k

Total build is 12k.

It is what it is.

Those Dodge 5500's (Storyteller) have a GVWR of 30k. Vehicle weighs 12 to 13k, leaves 15k towing capacity.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings