2019 F150 3.5L Ecoboost - Rough Idle, truck shaking
649 Views | 7 Replies
keebler
10:18a, 5/6/24
All knowing board...

I have a 2019 F150 3.5L Eco, 4WD. Intermittently the truck will shake, like a really rough idle, when I am stopped at a stop light with foot on the brake. When I shift to neutral it is either greatly reduced or goes away.

I am approaching 100k miles. I have had the cam phaser replaced around 85k miles, which included new water pump and plugs. I don't have any warning lights.

Could this "shaking" could be transmission related? I don't have any other symptoms like hard shifting or failure to shift, or can't pick a gear, or not downshifting. it seems to work fine. Could it just be a really rough idle?

Also, I was driving in Durango spring break, came down from Purgatory into town and the truck threw the blinking service engine light and was misfiring badly. Limped to where we were staying, and then took it to dealer in Durango, who didn't find anything. The light reset when I restarted the truck and I haven't had the problem since, easily several thousand miles since...

If this is transmission related, any suggestions on where to get a new one installed in Houston area?

TIA for the help.
fixer
10:55a, 5/6/24
So is the issue still prevailing?

Torque converter clutch issues can cause this but it is experienced when lifting off brake and idling forward ( depending on how the transmission is calibrated) and also at various engine loads ( inclines, declines, part throttle loads, etc).

A slipped balancer can cause this if engine is not a neutral balance and it is usually constant.

Engine mounts can cause this as well, likely transmission mounts too.

Although it doesn't apply to your truck , I have also found a fan clutch bearing cause this.
YellAg2004
11:13a, 5/6/24
I'm having a similar issue with my 2018. It is intermittent and only when I'm idling at a stop. As soon as I give it any gas it stops.

I don't think it's a transmission issue, although I am starting to have issues on that front as well, but that's a separate thread I think.

It seems like the issue is much more of an engine fuel/air issue.
TexAg1987
11:37a, 5/6/24
Could be a coil going out, bad spark plugs...

Any codes yet?
GrapevineAg
11:40a, 5/6/24
and possibly dirty fuel filter, fuel pump going bad, fuel pressure regulator...

i'd put a reader on it and look for misfires, check the fuel trims, etc.
MouthBQ98
12:45p, 5/6/24
When you are idling, lower air, less fuel volume. No load. If you are sucking air somewhere or crud through a PCV valve or condensation through the intake (humid lately?) then it can cause misfires. It would theoretically go away after you ran a while.
FIDO95
1:30p, 5/6/24
In reply to keebler
Slightly off topic, how did the cam phaser issue get resolved. By the time I knew Ford had given certain customers the option of a prorated replacement, the offer had expired. When I went to discuss it with them, they offered to cover approximately $2k of a $5.5k repair. I'm holding out hope they extend the repair into a full recall so I fix it. I really don't think I should pay $3.5k for a poorly designed part. My other thought is to trade it in before the whole timing system explodes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
1agswitchin4lanes
1:31p, 5/6/24
You have a bad coil and or bad plugs.

Flashing MIL means you have an active misfire.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings