3.0 Duramax Tahoe?
1,540 Views | 17 Replies
jefftip
2:17p, 5/6/24
Does anyone own one of these? What's the fuel efficiency? Does it lose power in the 60-80mph range etc…

JoeAggie1010
6:55p, 5/6/24
I have the Silverado 3.0. When I purchased the vehicle, I could get 25-27 mpg. Changing the set-up, I still get 22-23 mpg. If you drive a diesel in the torque range, 1500-3000 rpm, you can easily get up to speed.
Dogdoc
8:39a, 5/7/24
My wife has a 2024 Tahoe baby duramax purchased in January. Plenty of power for her. It gets 22 mpg mixed driving, 25 on the highway, and would get better if she would keep her foot out of it. So far, I am very satisfied with it.
ThreeFive
8:48a, 5/7/24
I have the 3.0 in a Yukon. I'm about 10,000 miles into it and that's probably 90% highway miles. Averaging 24 MPG and I'm driving in the 75-85 mph range. Really happy with it overall, especially with the less frequent fuel ups.
2ndChanceAg96
1:26p, 5/7/24
Interesting. What is the towing capacity on these?
ls1aggie09
3:08p, 5/7/24
How much (if any) do you gain by getting 20% better mpg if the cost is 20% more each time you fill up?
jefftip
3:14p, 5/7/24
In reply to ls1aggie09
If you run the numbers out and assuming maintenance is comparable, the diesel option more efficient around 65k miles.
EskimoJoe
7:09p, 5/7/24
In reply to ls1aggie09
ls1aggie09 said:

How much (if any) do you gain by getting 20% better mpg if the cost is 20% more each time you fill up?

fuel efficiency in the diesel is 40 to 50% better. Our 5.3l ecotech3 yukon is at 15.5 mpg lifetime with 14.6 mpg in the last 400 miles. In the last 400 miles, we quit making a weekly 160 mile round trip for vision therapy that had been happening for the last 2 years.
kyledr04
10:37p, 5/7/24
I wanted my wife to get one but she preferred the new Acadia. The diesels are hard to find though.
ChoppinDs40
10:47p, 5/7/24
Diesel is now cheaper around us. My dad is laughing at me in his 3.0 Yukon.

He pulls his 32' travel trailer with it and gets 14mpg cruising 70mph

Torque is legit. When you want to pass, it responds.

He hated me passing him with my 3.5EB with max tow. 6.2 is a dog.

Now he cruises in the 3.0.

They're way more common in the half ton trucks, still rare in the Yukon/tahoe.
Teslag
11:26a, 5/8/24
One thing to be aware of is that the current Tahoe/Suburban is still using the LM2 previous gen 3.0 Diesel. The 2025's should have the LZ0 Diesel that's currently in the Silverado 1500's. If you can wait a year then I would do so unless you get a great deal.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
11:33a, 5/8/24
The diesel / gasser debate in terms of overall cost benefit has been debated ad-nauseum on these boards.

It's pretty clear if you run all the numbers of all the expenses associated with the two types of vehicles....the ONLY way you can win the cash outlay equation with a diesel is when you Tow or Haul regularly. Like 3-5 days a week.

If you aren't towing or hauling loads on a regular basis, you will save money with a gasser.
ChoppinDs40
11:42a, 5/8/24
In reply to Kyle Field Shade Chaser
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

The diesel / gasser debate in terms of overall cost benefit has been debated ad-nauseum on these boards.

It's pretty clear if you run all the numbers of all the expenses associated with the two types of vehicles....the ONLY way you can win the cash outlay equation with a diesel is when you Tow or Haul regularly. Like 3-5 days a week.

If you aren't towing or hauling loads on a regular basis, you will save money with a gasser.
yeah I don't think that's correct when talking about these small diesels.

They're not a $10,000 upgrade like the big HD trucks.

Will maintenance be a bigger cost? possible down the road. DEF is negligible.

When you're talking about 60-75% better fuel economy in the small diesels than comparable gassers... it makes sense, especially now when diesel is nearing or below regular unleaded gas costs.

These small diesels kill it on highway (we got 26MPG on our ski trip to Colorado earlier this year). The towing differential (mind you, these are all half tons) is just a prize, IMO.
kyledr04
11:53a, 5/8/24
Agreed 1500 vs 2500 is apples and oranges. And in my opinion/needs, end up with opposite conclusions.

For a 1500, the diesel has a big fuel economy advantage and no stupid AFM lifters. But Def and risk of emissions issues. Basically the same cost to buy.

For 2500, same emissions worries and maybe a tiny fuel economy advantage over gas. But it's a huge increase in price. And the v8 gas engines in HD trucks are better/simpler than those in a 1500...no AFM or turbo. Really comes down to towing needs.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
3:38p, 5/8/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
Where do you get 60-75%. Toyota stopped making the old tundra.

Eco boosts and Toyota version can easily get 20 plus on highway. V8 form does and Chevy can get 18-20mpg easy (not 6.2L)

Powerboost can get 22-24mpg also pretty easy.

I like the 3.0. But they are still more out of pocket.

2.7 ford can get 25mpg on highway.
ChoppinDs40
3:46p, 5/8/24
In reply to Kyle Field Shade Chaser

Eco boosts and Toyota version can easily get 20 plus on highway. V8 form does and Chevy can get 18-20mpg easy (not 6.2L)

I drive a 3.5EB and get about 16mpg. Mostly city and have reached 18 at reasonable highway speeds.

We have the 5.7L hemi as well and it gets 17 tops highway.

Can a 2.7 get 20? Yeah maybe. But the 2.7 is a go kart engine compared to the 3.5, 6.2, or 3.0.

The 6.2 sucks gas like crazy as does the hemi 6.4.

Also, lol at comparing the power boost on a cost scale. Because a real truck is meant to have 1200lbs payload and power some string lights for a lesbian backyard wedding.
P.H. Dexippus
4:08p, 5/8/24
In reply to ChoppinDs40
ChoppinDs40 said:

I drive a 3.5EB and get about 16mpg. Mostly city and have reached 18 at reasonable highway speeds.

Can a 2.7 get 20? Yeah maybe. But the 2.7 is a go kart engine compared to the 3.5, 6.2, or 3.0.

Also, lol at comparing the power boost on a cost scale. Because a real truck is meant to have 1200lbs payload and power some string lights for a lesbian backyard wedding.
Don't forget the Ford turbo engines are recommended to run on premium gas, which costs more than diesel. "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."
ChoppinDs40
4:59p, 5/8/24
In reply to P.H. Dexippus
P.H. Dexippus said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Don't forget the Ford turbo engines are recommended to run on premium gas, which costs more than diesel. "For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer."

Tried this last year on a 800 mile day pulling our rig. No noticeable difference in mileage when moving up to premium. And definitely not worth the extra cost in smaller towns.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings