1:13p, 5/8/24
Ford f150 2012 V8 4x4. 140k miles.

Never changed the fluid before.

Manual says fluid replacement at 150k.

Yes or no?

Torque converter too or no?
dubi
1:34p, 5/8/24
My only comment is drain it. Do not flush!
1agswitchin4lanes
8:30p, 5/8/24
6R is pretty robust. Drain and fill
JamesPShelley
6:48a, 5/9/24
In reply to dubi
dubi said:

My only comment is drain it. Do not flush!
That. No flush.
1agswitchin4lanes
7:51a, 5/9/24
Check your manual but I think you use Mercon LV.

You can even buy a fluid extraction tool and remove like 2-3 quarts. Top off. Drive 5000 miles, repeat. And do it like 3-4 times. This slowly replaces the fluid and replenishes the additive package in the fluid without shocking the transmission.

Might as well service the diffs and transfer case at the same time!
Tim Weaver
7:53a, 5/9/24
In reply to 1agswitchin4lanes
1agswitchin4lanes said:

You can even buy a fluid extraction tool and remove like 2-3 quarts. Top off. Drive 5000 miles, repeat. And do it like 3-4 times. This slowly replaces the fluid and replenishes the additive package in the fluid without shocking the transmission.

This is the best way. Can do it from the fill tube. Don't even have to crawl under the truck.
Martin Q. Blank
8:11a, 5/9/24

Quote:

This slowly replaces the fluid and replenishes the additive package in the fluid without shocking the transmission.
How would replacing all the fluid at once "shock" the transmission?
Teslag
9:00a, 5/9/24
In reply to Martin Q. Blank
I think the worry is that flushing it can dislodge crud and bind the transmission.
1agswitchin4lanes
9:28a, 5/9/24
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

This slowly replaces the fluid and replenishes the additive package in the fluid without shocking the transmission.

Using a flush machine or "fluid exchange " machine at the dealer usually includes an additive package for the generic fluid to comply with the OE spec fluid. This often includes harsh surfactants that will dislodge friction material as well as "good" material that is suspended in fluid.
It's near impossible to replace all the fluid without partial disassembly, considering the 6R torque converter doesn't have a drain plug any more either.
Martin Q. Blank
10:27a, 5/9/24
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Using a flush machine or "fluid exchange " machine at the dealer usually includes an additive package for the generic fluid to comply with the OE spec fluid. This often includes harsh surfactants that will dislodge friction material as well as "good" material that is suspended in fluid.
It's near impossible to replace all the fluid without partial disassembly, considering the 6R torque converter doesn't have a drain plug any more either.
How does slowly replacing the fluid not cause the same issue?
OnlyForNow
12:07p, 5/9/24
25. % bleach solution doesn't stain clothes like 100% solution.
Martin Q. Blank
12:48p, 5/9/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
Both cases the fluid is completely replaced. One just does it slower. How does that not also dislodge friction material and good material in the old fluid?
Fannie Luddite
12:58p, 5/9/24
You need to change the filter, which means the pan needs to be dropped.

To put fluid back in, you can rig up a funnel connected with hoses, hose barbs and a metal tube that goes into the fill port.

I just did this with my 2013 F150 - there are several YT videos if you DIY.
1agswitchin4lanes
1:54p, 5/9/24
In reply to Fannie Luddite
Fannie Luddite said:

You need to change the filter, which means the pan needs to be dropped.

To put fluid back in, you can rig up a funnel connected with hoses, hose barbs and a metal tube that goes into the fill port.

I just did this with my 2013 F150 - there are several YT videos if you DIY.

I usually do that on the 2nd or 3rd drain.
OnlyForNow
2:41p, 5/9/24
I'm serious. You're changing the concentration of good fluid minimally over a period of time instead of changing the concentration of the fluid all at once. Let's say that you had a coffee pot that was stained the staining being the grit and grime that may be in your transmission system. Well, if you take off 2 cups at a time with a turkey baster and put in a cleaning agent And swish it around and continue doing that until you've done it five times so all 10 cups of coffee have been replaced. The staining will probably still be evident in some former fashion but if you just dumped out the 10 cups of coffee and put in 100% concentrated cleaning solution and swirl it around just as much as you did previously Would most likely be a lot less meaning that the material would be at risk to get pushed through the transmission system.

It's like chemically titrating compounds. There is a point of saturation, super saturation, and not saturation. This taking it off. The top scenario seems to be a not keeping the solution saturated or super saturated and therefore possibly being better for the system. I don't have a dog in this phone, but I can see how that would be a sound process.
Logos Stick
6:20a, 5/10/24
In reply to Tim Weaver
Tim Weaver said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

This is the best way. Can do it from the fill tube. Don't even have to crawl under the truck.

I don't have a fill tube.
Martin Q. Blank
9:10a, 5/10/24
In reply to OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow said:

I'm serious. You're changing the concentration of good fluid minimally over a period of time instead of changing the concentration of the fluid all at once. Let's say that you had a coffee pot that was stained the staining being the grit and grime that may be in your transmission system. Well, if you take off 2 cups at a time with a turkey baster and put in a cleaning agent And swish it around and continue doing that until you've done it five times so all 10 cups of coffee have been replaced. The staining will probably still be evident in some former fashion but if you just dumped out the 10 cups of coffee and put in 100% concentrated cleaning solution and swirl it around just as much as you did previously Would most likely be a lot less meaning that the material would be at risk to get pushed through the transmission system.

It's like chemically titrating compounds. There is a point of saturation, super saturation, and not saturation. This taking it off. The top scenario seems to be a not keeping the solution saturated or super saturated and therefore possibly being better for the system. I don't have a dog in this phone, but I can see how that would be a sound process.
What other fluid do we do this?

Oil change, coolant change, power steering, brake fluid, differentials. All are completely drained and refilled with fresh fluid. Most with detergent additives. Many with the same lifespan as transmission fluid.
fixer
9:24a, 5/10/24
I've done successive drain and refills with new filter on family, friend, and personal vehicles spanning Saturn, ford, gm, Toyota and Dodge and going on 30 years.

I've done this at or before 60k miles and have yet to have a single transmission problem of any kind. This is about 800,000 total miles between all vehicles.

And no lol the Toyotas didn't account for 600,000 of that.
OnlyForNow
11:04a, 5/10/24
My response would be that the level of risk to have foreign substances and grim entering the systems is probably the same or similar, but some of that wouldn't matter much as the moving parts or use of fluid is a much different scenario or it would have less of a chance to foul up key components.

1agswitchin4lanes
12:12p, 5/10/24
In reply to Logos Stick
Logos Stick said:

Tim Weaver said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Just do it from the side.

Ove glove is your friend.
Tim Weaver
5:39p, 5/11/24
In reply to Logos Stick
Logos Stick said:

Tim Weaver said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Sorry for your loss....
Tim Weaver
5:47p, 5/11/24
Martin Q. Blank said:

OnlyForNow said:

What other fluid do we do this?

Oil change, coolant change, power steering, brake fluid, differentials. All are completely drained and refilled with fresh fluid. Most with detergent additives. Many with the same lifespan as transmission fluid.
Transmissions get dirtier than all of these other systems combined. Transmissions use friction materials a lot like your brake pads. You ever not washed your wheels for a long time? All that crud builds up, right? Its very sticky and hard to clean right?

That stuff is inside your transmission stuck to every single surface inside. When you power flush it there is a detergent scrubbing away at all this crap at once, along with the thermal shock of a cold fluid hitting a hot transmission. You'll get big flakey chunks of this crud breaking off and swirling around Inside your gearbox, clogging up servos, passageways, filters, and screens.

The other way is to slowly do the change over thousands of miles where the detergents can work slowly and make that sludge I to fine particles which can be kept in suspension until your do the next 2-3 quart change and you'll drain some of the sludge out.

Redstone
7:44p, 5/11/24
In reply to Logos Stick
Not certain
Ordinary Man
8:23p, 5/11/24
I had a 2002 Silverado 1500 that I kept for 20 years. I flushed the transmission around 60k and then around 150k. I had no issues doing it at 150k, in fact, the shifting was slightly smoother afterwards. I watched the tech do the flush at 150k, and the old fluid was pretty dirty, as you would expect.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings