Would M Reed Consider A Temporary WR Role like Tannehill
7,931 Views | 53 Replies
NowhereMan
5:01p, 4/29/24
Reed is an outstanding athlete, would he benefit and consider a temp role at WR or are those days over? Seems like Aggies need another WR, Reed gets a wider perspective in his QB career, a win win.

Actual Talking Thermos
5:07p, 4/29/24
I think playing WR at the D1 level is not something most people can just dabble in. Even talented athletes who know football.
greg.w.h
5:34p, 4/29/24
Perhaps Weigman will…
BoxingAg84
5:42p, 4/29/24
He won't have to. Once he realizes he's the best QB on the roster.
The Asset 07
7:07p, 4/29/24
This just reminds me how ridiculous of an athlete and football player Tanny was. He memorized the playbook in between pre-med classes
Bryanisbest
8:32p, 4/29/24
I am becoming very impressed with Marcel Reed. The young man has QB talent and is a very well spoken person.
dustytool
9:26p, 4/29/24
I can think of several receivers moving to QB (Johnny did it in high school) but I can't think of any notable QB's moving to receiver. Not just A&M but in general. Anybody got any?
rsf0626
9:34p, 4/29/24
Not if he's qb1
rsf0626
SolidRockAg
10:26p, 4/29/24
Marcel is going to Evan absolute stud...he will thrive in Klein's offense with the "if it's there run" mentality
He's the next big playmaker
spherical
10:36p, 4/29/24
In reply to dustytool
dustytool said:

I can think of several receivers moving to QB (Johnny did it in high school) but I can't think of any notable QB's moving to receiver. Not just A&M but in general. Anybody got any?

Am I that old? People don't know Tannehill was QB2 before and while lining up at WR? I know the nfl commentators constantly get it wrong..,
98WFSCAG
7:28a, 4/30/24
In reply to spherical
spherical said:

dustytool said:

Am I that old? People don't know Tannehill was QB2 before and while lining up at WR? I know the nfl commentators constantly get it wrong..,

Yes, that was like last year. I remember.
AgsMyDude
7:32a, 4/30/24
In reply to The Asset 07
The Asset 07 said:

This just reminds me how ridiculous of an athlete and football player Tanny was. He memorized the playbook in between pre-med classes

Sure but he was no engineer
cgillard
8:41a, 4/30/24
Reed should be the backup QB.
GoldenGun00
8:48a, 4/30/24
In reply to dustytool
dustytool said:

Hines Ward
Julian Edelman
Anquan Boldin
Antwaan Randle-El
Randall Cobb

I'm sure there are lots of others, but those came to mind immediately.
Emilio Fantastico
8:51a, 4/30/24
In reply to dustytool
dustytool said:

There have been multiple option style QBs either in HS or College that have switched to receiver in College or NFL. Being option style QBs, they probably weren't "notable" in the sense you were referring to.
randy828
9:10a, 4/30/24
Chad Schroeder was a QB/WR...Austin Westlake. Hell of a WR at A&M.

https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Touchdown-Schroeder-has-a-knack-for-scoring-8538363.php

Quote:

As a high school quarterback, Schroeder put together an impressive resume. In 2001 as a senior, he threw for 2,534 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Schroeder got past Houston Madison and current Texas quarterback Vince Young in the semifinals before a Reggie McNeal-led Lufkin team beat Westlake in the Class 5A Division II Championship.
AgDotCom
9:42a, 4/30/24
In reply to Actual Talking Thermos
Actual Talking Thermos said:

I think playing WR at the D1 level is not something most people can just dabble in. Even talented athletes who know football.
We've already had a QB who played WR in the NFL. According to your logic that would be impossible.
TX_Aggie37
10:05a, 4/30/24
Reed will likely be QB2 this year based on the limited exposure we as fans have to him. If that is the case, not a chance they let him get snaps in another role. They may have packages designed for him, but that'd be the extent of his use. It is also very difficult to play WR well especially if a guy hasn't done it.

I am just hoping we can keep him on the roster beyond this year because I also think he could be a special player.
74AnimalA
10:38a, 4/30/24
In reply to cgillard
cgillard said:

Reed should be the backup QB.

IF he's a future QB1, he NEEDS to be in the QB Film Room. Moving him to a receiver role, puts him in the Receiver film room and IMHO that stalls his development as a QB.
NoahAg
11:18a, 4/30/24
In reply to dustytool
dustytool said:

Quite a few, actually. Typically, the "scrappy, lunch pail" white NFL WRs were QBs at some point in their FB careers.
EliteZags
2:41p, 4/30/24
Terrelle Pryor
TecRecAg
2:42p, 4/30/24
In reply to Bryanisbest
Bryanisbest said:

I am becoming very impressed with Marcel Reed. The young man has QB talent and is a very well spoken person.
lmao
Craigy
2:50p, 4/30/24
In reply to GoldenGun00
GoldenGun00 said:

dustytool said:

Hines Ward
Julian Edelman
Anquan Boldin
Antwaan Randle-El
Randall Cobb

I'm sure there are lots of others, but those came to mind immediately.

I remember Bert Emanuel QB at Rice and before that at UCLA and was a 2nd round draft pick of the Falcons and played in over 100 NFL games at WR. Look up Bert Emanuel rule that what I remember him for
EliteZags
3:45p, 4/30/24
Speedy Noil was 1st team all state QB

in general many WR recruits from smaller schools took snaps at some pt just due to being the best athlete on the field
OldAggie_2
6:45p, 4/30/24
They may have packages designed for him, but that will be the extent of his use.
rootube
8:07p, 4/30/24
We have a new offense, a new coach, and Connor is returning from injury. I bet all the QB's are focused on being the starting QB instead of a backup WR.
EliteZags
11:32p, 4/30/24
In reply to randy828
randy828 said:

https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Touchdown-Schroeder-has-a-knack-for-scoring-8538363.php

Quote:

As a high school quarterback, Schroeder put together an impressive resume. In 2001 as a senior, he threw for 2,534 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Schroeder got past Houston Madison and current Texas quarterback Vince Young in the semifinals before a Reggie McNeal-led Lufkin team beat Westlake in the Class 5A Division II Championship.

no one on that Madison team full of athletes could touch him peeling down the sidelines.
He was quite the prodigy in other ways also: during his redshirt year (still somewhat an unknown commodity) he'd come hangout at our off campus apt on a random weeknight (our buddy was his FB at Westlake), spend a few min on his phone, and within half hour there'd be up to a dozen knockouts showing up
vander54
6:24a, 5/1/24
In reply to OldAggie_2
Scammer
World's worst proofreader
agnerd
10:52a, 5/1/24
If he isn't QB1 and wants playing time, he will transfer. Also might get more NIL money to transfer and be QB1 at a lesser school than be QB2 here. Have yall not been paying attention to how it works now? You make your money in college now, and NFL money is just a bonus.
greg.w.h
11:07a, 5/1/24
In reply to agnerd
agnerd said:

If he isn't QB1 and wants playing time, he will transfer. Also might get more NIL money to transfer and be QB1 at a lesser school than be QB2 here. Have yall not been paying attention to how it works now? You make your money in college now, and NFL money is just a bonus.
I don't think anyone knows how it works. On3 certainly doesn't…
Ag in ATL
12:07p, 5/1/24
Reggie played WR in the CFL.
Captain Winky
3:00p, 5/1/24
He should keep taking QB reps for when Weigman eventually gets hurt.
Guy on a Buffalo
3:09p, 5/1/24
Long time Buffalo Bills wide receiver Andre Reed (not sure if there's any relation) was a championship quarterback in high school. He moved to receiver in college, and the rest was history.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
FratboyLegend
5:33p, 5/1/24
In reply to dustytool
dustytool said:

Kordell Stewart? Didn't he dabble in WR for a bit?
#CertifiedSIP
FratboyLegend
5:36p, 5/1/24
In reply to EliteZags
EliteZags said:

randy828 said:

Quote:

no one on that Madison team full of athletes could touch him peeling down the sidelines.
He was quite the prodigy in other ways also: during his redshirt year (still somewhat an unknown commodity) he'd come hangout at our off campus apt on a random weeknight (our buddy was his FB at Westlake), spend a few min on his phone, and within half hour there'd be up to a dozen knockouts showing up

True. I was at that Madison / Westlake game.

VY played both ways in the 2nd half. Free safety on D. I think he had 10 or 11 tackles in that half.
#CertifiedSIP
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off