Sam Salz - Actual good press for Aggie football on the Athletic
4,656 Views | 23 Replies
mjhhawk
9:08a, 5/2/24
Spoiler alert for the TLDW crowd - this isn't short. But a good story and look for us none the less for those who still pay for the Athletic (basically free). Here is the link as it wouldn't let me copy and paste the article here due to a forum code being invalid.

https://theathletic.com/5457913/2024/05/02/sam-salz-texas-am-football-shabbat/

Cliff notes for those who can't see it - Sam Salz is a tiny Orthodox Jewish kid who never played football that worked his ass off to get a walk on spot for the Ags and continues to work hard despite rarely being available for game day die top his religion. Also we have done a tremendous job accommodating him with his different religious needs.

TAMU74
9:24a, 5/2/24
I might be wrong but it seems like this subject has been posted already.
I remember reading this somewhere before.
mjhhawk
9:46a, 5/2/24
I just did a search and there was a thread on him two months ago. I must have missed it. Still a very positive article for us on a national website.
The Zookeeper
9:58a, 5/2/24
I'm not an IT guy, but there 3 Easy Steps to Get Past the Pay Block:
  • Click on the link to load the page
  • Don't scroll down to trigger the block. Immediately find "Toggle Reader View" in your browser. F9 key works with my browser.
  • Read the story

Atreides Ornithopter
10:04a, 5/2/24
So he can play in the National Championship game next year.
greg.w.h
10:12a, 5/2/24
In reply to The Zookeeper
The Zookeeper said:

I'm not an IT guy, but there 3 Easy Steps to Get Past the Pay Block:
  • Click on the link to load the page
  • Don't scroll down to trigger the block. Immediately find "Toggle Reader View" in your browser. F9 key works with my browser.
  • Read the story

Or…starter sub for $2 per month for up to 12 months. Generally a great alternative view to ESPN+ web site articles.

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/welcomeoffer/?checkout_entry_point=universal_nav_CTA
greg.w.h
10:34a, 5/2/24
This was very funny to me:

""My teammates joke that in the new NCAA video game that my rating should be a 99 overall but I can only be used in the fourth quarter of night games," he said."
spherical
6:04p, 5/2/24
Too long didn't… write? wake? wread?
v1rotate92
6:32p, 5/2/24
Taking a spot from a player that will actually show up and contribute
Slick
TyperWoods
7:13p, 5/2/24
Someone needs to do a highlight reel with the Chariots of Fire theme music for this guy
TexasLeaguer
8:37p, 5/2/24
In reply to v1rotate92
Trust me, he isn't taking a spot from any meaningful contributor haha
Aggie0956732
9:09p, 5/2/24
However, I'm really inspired by the dedication and hard work of Sam Salz. It's amazing to see someone overcome challenges and pursue their passion, even when faced with religious commitments. Kudos to him and to the team for accommodating his needs.
Jugstore Cowboy
10:02p, 5/2/24
In reply to v1rotate92
v1rotate92 said:

What?
Ag in Tiger Country
11:58p, 5/2/24
In reply to v1rotate92
v1rotate92 said:

Are you (& the person who likes your comment) attending the 'Palestine Protests' but instead of arguing the nuisances of the Israeli/ Hamas conflict, you choose instead to lambast a Jew taking up a football scholarship?
mjhhawk
7:46a, 5/3/24
In reply to spherical
spherical said:

Too long didn't… write? wake? wread?
Want to read
lagoag
8:09a, 5/3/24
This was posted before but it's still good bull all around especially in this time where everything is crazy.
Aggie87
11:23a, 5/3/24
In reply to v1rotate92
v1rotate92 said:

What's your basis for claiming he doesn't contribute to the team in any way?
Jugstore Cowboy
5:02p, 5/3/24
In reply to Aggie87
I'm more interested in his understanding of roster spots.
C2 Ag 93
8:38p, 5/3/24
Wow, great article and great press for Aggieland. Christian here, but fell in love with Israel years ago, try to go back every year, so I understand the angles on this one for Sam.
cupcakesprinkles
8:46p, 5/3/24
Awesome story!
AWP 97
3:50p, 5/7/24
This is DEI at its best. If this kid played for any other school, a lot of TexAgs posters would be all over the school. This is basically Rudy, but potentially more of a farce. There is no way that this kid is on the team if he's Catholic. At least, I'm sure he helps the team GPA which is probably the real reason he made the team. I'm pretty sure all of the 5'7", 165 lbs kids on the team are there for one reason and it ain't football. I look forward to this being the first of many DEI inclusions on the team.
Slicer97
8:15a, 5/8/24
In reply to v1rotate92
v1rotate92 said:

How is he, as a walk on, taking up someone's spot?
phatcat
9:02a, 5/8/24
Great story! Sounds like a great kid!
ABATTBQ11
9:42a, 5/8/24
I was reading through this and wondering how some people could be so dumb, but then I remembered where I was
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings