290,156 Views | 3663 Replies
GrapevineAg
8:01p, 11/2/23
In!
DallasAg 94
8:17p, 11/2/23
In reply to _lefraud_
_lefraud_ said:

Ohtani makes a ton of sense for him and the Rangers. Too much so that it won't happen.

I like Lowe at first, if he continues to play defense like he did this year. His bat is more than serviceable, only a season removed from hitting .300. I also think he's a huge part of the culture, which is invaluable.

I agree. I grew up watching the '70s Dodgers where Ron Cey - Bill Russell - Davey Lopes - Steve Garvey and Steve Yeager at C were the better part of my annual Dodgers lineup.

We have the ability to do the same with Jung-Seager-Semien-Lowe+Heim. That is the kind of IF you could see for 6+ years and really love. So, I'm torn.

Quote:

The outfield is going to be tricky. I like Taveres, but I can't help but think he could fetch a decent bullpen arm. So with the right offer, I'd be good with moving him, moving Carter back to centerfield.

I expect Carter to come back down to earth and maybe even struggle quite a bit next year. I'm guessing he will continue to sit against lefties until major improvement happens. Adding a right handed outfielder that gets on base would sure be nice.

Agreed.
Quote:

I'm all for signing Monty and resigning Heaney (at a fair price). Monty will have a decision to make, does he chase a possibly bigger payday, or stay to win another title? Unless, Ohtani is a real option, I expect CYoung to make Monty his biggest priority.

I think Heaney walks and we wish him well. He is likely either $13M or $20M... not sure if he vested or not. But, either way, he did everything we could have asked and I think he could lock up 3-4 years and has proven himself. I think Dunning and Gray, with Max and Eovaldi are about as good a 4 as I could hope for. If Bradford emerges, we're good,*unless* signing Montgomery can get done. I'd take the $13-20M from Heaney and apply it elsewhere (Monty).

Quote:

Bullpen. These guys are all so fickle, who really knows. I'd honestly like to just see closer by committee going into next season. Adding arms via trade seems likely. I don't care to overspend on unknowns, unless it's Hader.

Outside of Langford, Walcott and Gutierrez, I'm good moving anyone on the farm.

I think there are enough RP options we could be fine. 2023 has shown us the exposure of not having lock-down RPs, but the Post-Season says, just get there.

bmac_aggie18
8:17p, 11/2/23
In already, let's run it back fellas
Daveintx
8:20p, 11/2/23
Try to keep Monty in the fold first and foremost

If Perez will stay at a decent rate as a long man/occasional starter, maybe?

Offensively, gotta hope some of these guys aren't hitting their career year in 23, but should still be mostly good

A sure fire DH would t hurt....
DallasAg 94
8:20p, 11/2/23
In reply to AgBQ-00
AgBQ-00 said:

Did you see tightness somewhere? I heard Sborz say last night that Leclerc was sore. Sounded to me it was a matter of pitching back to back nights. But of course that is speculation
I read it on the season thread. I may have misread it. Sborz was quoted, but I thought there was another comment. Maybe I misread it or somebody misinterpreted?! Hope he is good.
AgBQ-00
8:23p, 11/2/23
Would you pay Ohtani money for a year of only DH work and maybe pitching again in 25?
DallasAg 94
8:26p, 11/2/23
In reply to fc2112
fc2112 said:

To baseline things - our UFAs, followed by expected value - N/A if no expected value was quoted.

Jordan Montgomery SP/ SP2 - Age 30.8 - $18,407,467
Martin Perez SP/ SP5 - Age 32.5 - $10,567,887
Aroldis Chapman RP/ SU8 - Age 35.7 - $7,102,369
Will Smith RP/CL - Age 34.2 - $6,577,200
Chris Stratton RP - Age 33.2 - $4,516,185
Jake Odorizzi SP - Age 33.6 - N/A
Ian Kennedy RP - Age 38.8 - N/A

Mitch Garver C - Age 32 - $10,018,410
Robbie Grossman RF - Age 34.- $7,044,609
Austin Hedges C - Age 31.2 - $4,266,420
Brad Miller LF/ 2B - Age 34.0 - $2,254,033
Travis Jankowski LF - Age 32.3 - N/A

Player Option
Andrew Heaney SP - Age 32.3 - Option is $13,000,000, expected value is $13,751,337

Club Option
Jose Leclerc RP - Age 29.8 - Option is $6,300,000, expected value is $10,650,250
Thanks for putting that together. I had a variant, but like your info better.

To add with contributions... aka what are we losing from this past post-season:

Free Agents:
SP: Martin Perez (3G, 4.2, 9.64), Montgomery (6GS, 36.2 IP, 2.95 ERA)
RP: Will Smith (5G, 3.1 IP, 10.80ERA), Chapman (9G, 8.0 IP, 2.25ERA), Stratton (4G, 4.0 IP, 9.00 ERA)
Players: Garver (14G, .226, 3HR, 14RBI), Grossman (7G, .105), Jankowski (7G, .333), Hedges

Options:
Heaney (5G, 3GS, 11.0 IP, 4.09ERA) - player option
Leclerc (13G, 13.2 IP, 3.29 ERA, 4Saves) - team option

Addition by subtraction?!
Danny Vermin
8:26p, 11/2/23
In reply to AgBQ-00
No. He's 30 and brittle. Spend the money elsewhere.
AgBQ-00
8:29p, 11/2/23
In reply to Danny Vermin
That was my thinking as well. I just think his price will be too high
Danny Vermin
8:32p, 11/2/23
In reply to AgBQ-00
I would rather have Monty over him. He's such a great fit for our club and is very durable.
Player To Be Named Later
8:32p, 11/2/23
Page 2
ChoppinDs40
8:37p, 11/2/23
I want to see us go after a real DH bat. Someone scary. Garver can stay but doesn't need to be our day to day DH. OF is set I think if you put Langford on the 40 man. I wouldn't mind keeping Jankowski around.

Prioritize Monty and some BP arms and resigning Heaney reasonably. That gives you Evo, Monty, Scherzer, Heaney, Gray and Dunning.

Bradford has shown he can go some innings. As has Sborz. If Aroldis will play on the cheap, why not. He may improve a bit with an off-season/ spring training with Maddox.
Slided bread
8:38p, 11/2/23
What. A. Year. Let's ride, boys!
Grapesoda2525
10:53p, 11/2/23
Reporting for the new thread……

I think we should keep Jankowski, Duran, and hedges for sure.

I'm not a fan of Josh smith. I think he does a lot of brain dead stuff out there and has major holes in his bat. I wish he could be traded. Would like if Josh smith, Grossman, and Taveras aren't rangers next year.
gibby03
11:02p, 11/2/23
Jumping in for the thread. Excited to see the moves this offseason. Get the feeling we are going to do some good support work to be right there again next year.

We finally have proof we can win here, an enclosed stadium to attract pitchers who don't want to melt and a front office willing to spend the money. It's time to set this franchise up for the foreseeable future and I'm here for it and super excited.

Would love to keep Monty and I get the sense he's a tremendous locker room dude that really enjoyed this team. Pay him what he deserves and be competitive but don't break the bank. Keep a guy like that around.

I like keeping Duran. He seems more versatile and a better player than Smith. OF is going to be tough to keep guys happy.

Ultimately, secure this bullpen with some short relief guys and keep some form of Perez/Bradford/Heaney around for the 5th starter/long relief role and I'm dreaming of back to back.
Quincey P. Morris
11:04p, 11/2/23
I'm looking forward to the next month. Hopefully some exciting things.
Water Boy
11:59p, 11/2/23
Going to be a fun offseason. Get to enjoy being champs and trusting in the front office to make the best moves possible.
Grapesoda2525
12:06a, 11/3/23
Anyone get their World Series merchandise yet?
KNM2020
12:32a, 11/3/23
In reply to Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525 said:

Anyone get their World Series merchandise yet?

Watched game 5 at a sports bar, went straight academy after a few celebratory beers and shots, stood in line outside for an hour and a half. Would do it again.
KNM2020
12:42a, 11/3/23
Good night to my fellow fans of the world champions
Kyle98
3:10a, 11/3/23
Just getting started in my morning here. I'll be glad to be back in Texas next year for the repeat!!
fc2112
3:48a, 11/3/23
In reply to DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

I mentioned late in the season that the Rangers could move Leody or Adolis in the offseason. I think Adolis is off the table.
caleblyn
5:57a, 11/3/23
How do you plan for Langford? He will be called up! Do you plan for his call to be an injury replacement (I.e. Duran/Martinez)? Do you make room now, requiring a Tavares move?

I agree on the DH need. I like Garver, but we need a bigger threat. Bochy likes a pleathera of catchers, so I doubt we move Garver.

RP will be the big talk of the offseason. Lots of quality arms on the move. I do t think any of our presents are dealable so they will fall to FA. We need to pick up about 5 relief arms after the loss.

Monty should get resigned.

What is the story with Odorizi? What is his status for return? Am I asking moot questions because he will be lost regardless?

Lastly, there is one thing that nobody will like. A big/likeable name will be dealt in an effort to build the farm. Brace for it but also trust the management.
Mr Gigem
6:05a, 11/3/23
In reply to caleblyn
Garver is a FA
Carlo4
6:44a, 11/3/23
In reply to fc2112
fc2112 said:

To baseline things - our UFAs, followed by expected value - N/A if no expected value was quoted.

Jordan Montgomery -must must must
Martin Perez out
Aroldis Chapman out
Will Smith RP/CL - out
Chris Stratton RP - keep
Jake Odorizzi SP - out
Ian Kennedy RP - out

Mitch Garver C - either Hedges or Garver not both
Robbie Grossman RF - out
Austin Hedges C - see above
Brad Miller LF/ 2B - out
Travis Jankowski LF - keep

Player Option
Andrew Heaney SP - keep

Club Option
Jose Leclerc RP - must must must

FIF my opinion
fc2112
6:47a, 11/3/23
So we should always be open to trades. I really think Taveras is most likely and would entertain ideas on what he could bring.

An older DH and a really good prospect? How about a team that is building, like the Yankees? Giancarlo Stanton would look awfully good in this lineup as DH. Or perhaps J.D. Martinez?
Water Boy
6:56a, 11/3/23
What do we do with Duran? I remember earlier in the season when he was hot everyone was saying he was untouchable under any circumstances. Do we still feel that same way now?
fc2112
6:56a, 11/3/23
I think Duran is another guy with no place on this team.
Grapesoda2525
7:01a, 11/3/23
In reply to caleblyn
caleblyn said:

How do you plan for Langford? He will be called up! Do you plan for his call to be an injury replacement (I.e. Duran/Martinez)? Do you make room now, requiring a Tavares move?

I agree on the DH need. I like Garver, but we need a bigger threat. Bochy likes a pleathera of catchers, so I doubt we move Garver.

RP will be the big talk of the offseason. Lots of quality arms on the move. I do t think any of our presents are dealable so they will fall to FA. We need to pick up about 5 relief arms after the loss.

Monty should get resigned.

What is the story with Odorizi? What is his status for return? Am I asking moot questions because he will be lost regardless?

Lastly, there is one thing that nobody will like. A big/likeable name will be dealt in an effort to build the farm. Brace for it but also trust the management.
Has to be Taveras or Nate lowe. I'm ok with moving either. Their bats are too inconsistent for my liking.

We could fill Lowe's spot with someone from the farm like Foscue or Crim.
fc2112
7:03a, 11/3/23
In reply to Grapesoda2525
I really would like to see out first FA signing NOT be Montgomery but Rhys Hoskins.
Roger Kint
7:15a, 11/3/23
My biggest hope is that they sign Hedges long-term so he'll end up retiring a Ranger and work in the booth as a color guy one day.
Roger Kint
7:23a, 11/3/23
In all seriousness, I'd probably resign Jankowsky, trade Leody, and hope that Langford makes it up this year.
Water Boy
7:25a, 11/3/23
In reply to fc2112
Just shows how unpredictable baseball can be. Duran went from untouchable even when we desperately needed bullpen help to not even having a place on the team. Things can change so quickly in this sport.
caleblyn
7:30a, 11/3/23
Ian Kennedy retiring.
fc2112
7:31a, 11/3/23
Part of me wants to keep Duran since we don't have any minor league depth in the middle infield since we traded Acuna.

That being said, keeping a major league ready shortstop as a backup is quite the luxury. We could bring IKF back to fill that role.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 105
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings