Thailand tips?
2,812 Views | 31 Replies
double
10:10a, 5/7/23
We are thinking of going in August.
FancyKetchup14
10:14a, 5/7/23
can you provide some more info as to what sort of stuff yall are into? how much time? it's a big country with a lot of stuff to do.
gggmann
10:34a, 5/7/23
Where in Thailand? There's quite a variety of places.

August is the middle of rainy season. There won't be as many tourists as in the winter months, so hotel prices will be lower.
Potcake
4:00p, 5/7/23
In reply to double
They're not really ladies.
Danger Mouse
6:41p, 5/7/23
One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster.
Class of '91 (MEEN)
Hoyt Ag
8:58a, 5/8/23
You win most vague post ever. Give more details of what you are looking for. I am headed to P h u k e t in July for a few weeks and will be my 15th trip or so over there.
Milwaukees Best Light
9:11a, 5/8/23
Papaya salad from a street vendor is fantastic. The chicken on a stick from street vendors is almost as good.
wessimo
9:31a, 5/8/23
Since the question was so detailed and articulate, I worked hard on this response for you. Enjoy.

Thailand, also known as the Land of Smiles, is a Southeast Asian country that boasts of a rich cultural heritage, stunning natural landscapes, and vibrant cities. From the bustling streets of Bangkok to the tranquil beaches of ****et, there is no shortage of things to see and do in Thailand. In this essay, I will provide some tips for exploring this amazing country.

Firstly, one of the top things to do in Thailand is to visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok. This impressive complex was built in the late 18th century and served as the residence of the Thai monarchy until the early 20th century. The palace complex includes several buildings, including the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, which houses one of the most revered Buddha statues in Thailand. Visitors should dress appropriately and be prepared to spend several hours exploring the palace and its grounds.

Another must-see attraction in Bangkok is the Wat Pho temple, home to the famous Reclining Buddha statue. This 46-meter-long gold-plated statue is one of the largest Buddha images in Thailand and is a must-see for anyone interested in the country's religious and cultural heritage. Visitors should also take the time to explore the rest of the temple complex, which includes several other impressive structures and a traditional Thai massage school.

If you are interested in learning about Thailand's history and culture, the ancient city of Ayutthaya is an excellent destination. This former capital of the Siamese Kingdom is now a UNESCO World Heritage site and is home to several impressive temples and ruins. Visitors can explore the city's history through its many museums, or take a guided tour to learn more about the significance of the various structures and artifacts.

For those seeking a more relaxed pace, Thailand's many beautiful beaches and islands offer plenty of opportunities to unwind and soak up the sun. One of the most popular destinations is ****et, which is home to several stunning beaches, including the famous Patong Beach. Visitors can also take a boat tour of the nearby islands, or enjoy activities such as snorkeling, scuba diving, or surfing.

Another popular beach destination is Koh Samui, which is located in the Gulf of Thailand. This island paradise offers a range of accommodations, from luxury resorts to budget-friendly hostels, and plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities such as kayaking, hiking, and fishing. Visitors should also take the time to explore the island's many temples, waterfalls, and other natural attractions.

Finally, no visit to Thailand would be complete without trying the country's delicious and diverse cuisine. Thai food is famous for its bold flavors, fresh ingredients, and spicy curries. Visitors should try traditional dishes such as pad Thai, green curry, and tom yum soup, as well as street food favorites such as grilled meats and sticky rice. And for those with a sweet tooth, be sure to try mango sticky rice, a popular Thai dessert made with fresh mango, sticky rice, and coconut milk.

In conclusion, Thailand is a fascinating country with something to offer every type of traveler. Whether you are interested in exploring the country's rich history and culture, relaxing on its beautiful beaches, or indulging in its delicious cuisine, there is no shortage of things to see and do in this amazing country. Just be sure to pack comfortable shoes, plenty of sunscreen, and an open mind, and get ready to experience all that Thailand has to offer.
Hoyt Ag
9:41a, 5/8/23
August would be best for a few days in BKK and then straight to Koh Samui. If you need driver or hotel reccs, let us know.
TXCityAggie
7:22a, 5/9/23
I lived in the region for a while and traveled to Thailand often. I'm finally going back in June for the first time since Covid. A few thoughts...

- BKK is one of my favorite cities in the world. Definitely spend a night creating your own food tour around China Town.

- Pattaya is a love it or hate it type place, but personally I love it. It's easy to get to from Bangkok and there are several islands you can visit if you use Pattaya as a base.

- I never got into ****et. Gave it several tries but don't care for it.

- Koh Lanta is probably my favorite island.

- Head up north if you enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, etc.
YZ250
1:22p, 5/9/23
In reply to wessimo
wessimo, I thought I was about to read this from you.

"Hew everybody here are some fun facts. The population in Thailand is 63 million people. It is twice the size of Wyoming. It's chief exports are textiles, footwear, and rice. Each year approximately 13,000 people are killed in car accidents in Thailand. "

fwag04
7:49p, 5/9/23
NE PA Ag
8:50p, 5/9/23
Agree with the previous poster about P h u k e t, not impressed at all. The beach we stayed on wasn't very clean and Patong is an interesting novelty, but at the end of the day not much different than a typical, skanky red light district.

That said, if you visit there, I cannot recommend the John Gray hong tour of Phang Nga Bay enough. One of the best guided tour things I've ever done. You take inflatable canoes through tiny openings to go inside karst formations that were hollowed out by water thousands of years ago. Diverse plant and animal life live inside. We also got some swim time off the boat and the lunch was really good.

Places I didn't notice mentioned are Chaing Mai and Krabi. Chiang Mai is great, we stayed at Dhara Dhevi, which we really enjoyed. It is actually a different culture than southern Thailand and a really old city (Bangkok is not as old as our east coast cities).

Krabi was amazing, stunning (clean) beach and backdrop. We stayed at Rayavadee and loved every minute of it. The pool at Rayavadee:

We also got a private speed boat to take us around Ko Phi Phi for a day, the price was very reasonable.

Finally we flew just about everywhere we went in country on Bangkok Airways. Really good experience every flight.
Hoyt Ag
7:55a, 5/10/23
I only go to ****et to see friends and dive. Agree with above posters, would not be first choice. I really liked Samui and Lanta. Krabi is awesome too.
double
10:34a, 5/10/23
I (47f) am meeting my (22) son in Thailand. We are looking for cultural experiences and natural beauty. Ping-pong shows, etc.are not super high on our priority lists! We travel quite a bit but admittedly don't know much about Thailand travel! I would appreciate any tips/ideas!!
gggmann
11:38a, 5/10/23
In reply to Hoyt Ag
Hoyt Ag said:

I only go to ****et to see friends and dive. Agree with above posters, would not be first choice. I really liked Samui and Lanta. Krabi is awesome too.
August isn't the best time to dive in Phu-ket, but it is prime time around Koh Tao.

Personally, for relaxation I like Koh Chang. Another option if you are heading to the Pattaya/Rayong area is Koh Samet - it's a small island, but the beaches are nice. I stayed a couple of nights there a few years back and had a good time.
gggmann
1:23p, 5/10/23
In reply to double
double said:

I (47f) am meeting my (22) son in Thailand. We are looking for cultural experiences and natural beauty. Ping-pong shows, etc.are not super high on our priority lists! We travel quite a bit but admittedly don't know much about Thailand travel! I would appreciate any tips/ideas!!
If you don't know what you want to do and are looking for ideas then check out Paddy Doyle's youtube channel. He lived in Thailand for a while drove through every province. His videos are well done, and he doesn't cover gogo bars and that sort of scene. I don't necessarily agree w/ all of his opinions, but overall he does a good job.

Here's an example:

sklipes
3:55p, 5/10/23
Headed to Korea & Thailand mid- thru end of July. Will be in Chiang Mai for a few days then was thinking Koh Samui then ****et but now 2nd guessing *****et.

Would it be best to go Samui then Tokyo for a few days before heading home (TX) or maximize time in Thailand/surrounding countries?
Milwaukees Best Light
5:02p, 5/10/23
Are there as many ruskies in Thailand now, with the Ukraine thing going on? Russians are not nice people, and there were a bunch of them when we went 10 years ago.
gggmann
5:48p, 5/10/23
In reply to Milwaukees Best Light
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Are there as many ruskies in Thailand now, with the Ukraine thing going on? Russians are not nice people, and there were a bunch of them when we went 10 years ago.
Not as many as before, but they're starting to filter back in. They tend to cluster in specific areas, so they can be avoided to some degree.
FancyKetchup14
2:10a, 5/11/23
If you're wantjng culture and to relax head to Chiang Mai and Pai. Pai is freaking awesome. It's kind of a hippy haven though so if that's not your thing maybe skip it. However, it's my favorite place in Thailand.
Hoyt Ag
7:05a, 5/11/23
In reply to gggmann
****et has a lot right now and they are buying lots of real estate there. But yes, they are in clusters in the popular destinations.
Hoyt Ag
7:06a, 5/11/23
August will be rainy in Chiang Mai, but you could luck out and get some really nice days. Just prepare for wet conditions. I have gone to some locations in the monsoon seasons and had great weather minus a day or two of short lived rains. I wouldnt let it deter you.
JM04
4:43p, 5/11/23
This has been a bucket list trip for a while. I have been waiting on my kids to get a little older and we are finally heading out over Christmas - we had a trip planned in 2020 but that didn't go as planned... I have agonized over this itinerary for a few years and this is what we have planned.

flying IAH - Qatar into BKK - booked through British air w/ AmEx points
Bangkok 2 nights
fly to Chiang Mai - 2 nights - 1 night is at Chai Lai elephant sanctuary and 1 night at Villa Allana
fly to Krabi - staying on Railay 2 nights @ tinidee resort on tonsai beach
picked up by Boat through 5 star marine - island hop and stay night on Koh Mook
Koh mook to ****et - they will take us to Phi Phi and other places on the way.
4 nights in ****et - over Christmas - using Hyatt points on Kamala Beach
fly to Samui and Boat to Koh Tao - stay 3 nights at Koh tao Cabanas
Back to Samui - for 2 nights @ Holiday Inn Fisherman's village
Samui to Singapore - 1 night in Singapore
Singapore business class to San Fran and the united economy home.

****et wasn't high on my list but the amount we are bouncing around i figured the kids would like a day or 2 of bumming around at a nice resort and we will do a day trip or sailing or something.

i would reach out to 5 star marine - i have seen their stuff on Youtube and the owner was on the Fruiting body podcast show #67 - after listening i pinged them an email and told him about hitting off the beaten path islands and he put together a 2 day trip - his team will stay in koh mook w/ us and bring us back to ****et.

Hoyt Ag
7:30p, 5/11/23
Holy cow that is a ton of moving around. I would cut that in half and relax for a minute.
double
12:24a, 6/3/23
We have decided on Bangkok (3 full days), Chiang Mai (2 full days), Chiang Rai (1 full day) and Krabi (6 full days). Thoughts and/or tips??
FancyKetchup14
2:16a, 6/3/23
I personally wouldn't spend that much time in Bangkok.

There is a ton of information in this thread that people have provided you. Please read that and then maybe try the Google machine.
BigOil
4:46a, 6/3/23
Visit the White Temple near Chiang Rai.
double
8:58p, 6/3/23
In reply to FancyKetchup14
We enjoy big cities and thought we'd need a little downtime to recover from traveling. One of the days we are planning a day trip to the floating and railway markets. Should I reconsider?
Hoyt Ag
10:45a, 6/4/23
3 days is fine in BKK. I would try to make them over the weekend if you can so you can go to Chatuchak Market. I enjoy that one more than the railroad market, but the floating market is interesting to see. Flower market is also fun to peruse.
betadawg1
6:48p, 5/1/24
Anyone done a live aboard dive boat trip? Looking at November 2024.

Hoyt Ag
7:11p, 5/1/24
In reply to betadawg1
I have done Andaman and Similian liveaboards. You will want your advanced open water for most boats.

I leave Saturday for Samui for a month for more certifications and R&R, but feel free to email me if you want, it is in my profile.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings