Sedona Travel Suggestions please
2,877 Views | 35 Replies
PGAG
9:45a, 2/19/24
Where to stay. Things to do. Food. Not a crazy extravagant budget btw.
StinkyPinky
9:50a, 2/19/24
I stayed here last time I was there. https://skyranchlodge.com/

Great views for sunrises/sunsets. Just down the road there is a great lookout. Lots of great places in Sedona but one for you to consider.
PGAG
10:47a, 2/19/24
In reply to StinkyPinky
Thanks!
AgOutsideAustin
10:56a, 2/19/24
Will be there Spring Break. I have dinner reservations at The Hudson and The Vault. Missed the window to get in at Elote.
Bluecat_Aggie94
11:21a, 2/19/24
In reply to AgOutsideAustin
I may be there too. We are doing an Arizona swing... two days skiing in Flagstaff then headed down to the Phoenix area. Not all our kids want to ski so we might do a day trip to Sedona on one of those days. If you see a family with 3 teens and 2 preK... say Howdy.

Last time we were in Sedona we did a really nice hike to see Devil's Bridge. Great hike for excellent view, not terribly long our strenuous, and it's a great photo opp. We were with 6 of our kids at the time and they were all middle school-sh age, most of the people were walking out and getting a picture on the middle of the bridge and I just couldn't stomach it, wouldn't let my kids go out on it. Probably would today.
TXTransplant
11:36a, 2/19/24
We stayed in a great Airbnb last spring break. I can find the link, if you're interested.

https://abnb.me/RaQug8A2jHb

Devils Bridge is an awesome hikeā€¦I highly recommend. If you go at a busy time, be aware that there is a shuttle service that takes you to most of the trail heads due to very limited parking.

There are several good hikes around Cathedral Rock.

There is also a Sedona ATV tour that is really good. I think we went with Arizona ATV Adventure Tours. We did a guided ride, but there are options to rent and go on your own.

Can't say we gave any great recommendations for food. We didn't eat out at any place that really stood out to us.
SupermachJM
12:06p, 2/19/24
We stayed at a place on Main Street Cottonwood - heckuva lot cheaper than staying in Sedona itself. Easy to drive to the hikes and also close to the cool town of Jerome. Plus very walkable with a few wineries on main street and good restaurants. Sedona itself is really touristy but Cottonwood felt a lot more laid back. The place we stayed was called The Iron Horse Inn. Cute little place.

+1 for the Devil's bridge hike.
Montezuma Castle National Monument was really cool and a short easy stop.
Tuzigoot was another cool stop that didn't take too long to go see.
Go drive up into Jerome and have dinner at the haunted Jerome Grand Hotel. Great views over the desert and a really neat vibe. It was an insane asylum and feels like something out of a Supernatural episode.
PGAG
12:19p, 2/19/24
In reply to SupermachJM
Love the Supernatural reference!
Aggie87
1:59p, 2/19/24
Another vote for Devil's Bridge. The hike isn't bad, though there is a rock scramble as you get close that may be an issue depending on your conditioning and abillities. Not terrible, but need to be aware of it. Also, if it's crowded, there will be a line and wait (last time I went there it was about a 20 minute wait in line) to get out on the bridge to get your pictures. Try to make arrangements with someone else up there to take your picture once you're out on the bridge, unless one in your party elects not to walk out on it.

Restaurant recs:
Mariposa - a "Latin" inspired steakhouse
Rascal Modern Diner - cool vibe and good food

The times we've stayed in Sedona have been at AirBnB's, none of which really stood out to me enough to recommend. They've all been fine, but ordinary. Once place we do want to try next time is the Casa Sedona Inn. Had breakfast there the last morning we were there a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed like a really nice place.

Montezuma's Castle is an easy 30 minute drive from Sedona, and doesn't require a full day. Cool to see the cliff dwelling there!

We've also taken the Verde Canyon train ride, which is fantastic. About a 4 hour train ride through a beautiful canyon, with food and cocktails and narration. The train departs in Clarkdale, which is also about a 30 minute drive from Sedona.
E
2:00p, 2/19/24
For food, we always go to Hideaway House at least one, great food and drinks, fun vibe. Hilltop Deli is great for sandwiches and lunch. Pump House is good food too. Redwall Distilliry/Loung is a new great cocktail bar, good views and drinks. Sedona Beer Co. is worth a stop if youre a beer person. Mariposa is good if you want a fancy dinner.

Tours try Safari Jeep Tours ar do one of the ATV's. They can go to places the pink jeeps cant and the guides are great. Highly recommend. https://www.safarijeeptours.com/

Download the hiking app, its very informative in selecting what hikes you want to go on.

We stayed at Lantern Light Inn for New Years this past year, good place for couples. Wife liked it alot and our friends that have stayed there be fore also like it, I thought it was meh but I prefer hotels though.

jja79
2:08p, 2/19/24
In reply to E
Agree about the hiking app. Not so much Sedona but back down the valley there are some hikes, particularly the Superstitions, where getting turned around is possible.

I'm not a hiker but when I have company everyone wants to go to Sedona and no one comes home disappointed whether they hang around town, take a jeep or take a hike.
PGAG
2:32p, 2/19/24
Thanks to all! Great info!! We're more fired up now!
maroon10
4:19p, 2/20/24
Hijacking...Can Sedona be an easy Thur-Sun kid-free getaway? Looking for a 3 night trip away from the kids this year since we have the comp pass via SW.
jja79
5:32p, 2/20/24
In reply to maroon10
It's about 120 miles from Phx to Sedona so it's good for a getaway.
TXTransplant
5:49p, 2/20/24
In reply to maroon10
For sure. We did our trip last spring break. I think we left Tues night after work. We went up to the Grand Canyon for a day, too. Skip that, and three days in Sedona is plenty.

We spent Saturday night before our flight home in Phoenix, just for convenience to the airport.
aggiedata
9:49p, 2/20/24
Pisa Lisa has fun pizzas and good drinks

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AfvkFrqN97xdoyND7?g_st=ic

Red Rock Cafe for breakfast

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ST2GbiGyoWNPo4sR7?g_st=ic
SupermachJM
8:03a, 2/21/24
In reply to maroon10
That's what we did last Feb. Flew into Phoenix on Thursday night and stayed in Tempe, got up early Friday and drove to Cottonwood, spent Saturday hiking and exploring, then drove back to Phoenix Sunday and flew out Sunday night. Super easy fun long weekend.
NE PA Ag
10:17p, 2/22/24
More votes for the trip to Montezuma Castle, Red Rock Cafe for breakfast and The Hudson for lunch or dinner (good food and drinks and great views there).
AgOutsideAustin
11:45a, 3/14/24
Thanks Travel Board for some recommendations, Sedona was great. Had a nice studio vrbo right by Uptown. Easy walk to restaurants and shops. Cottonwood was cool as well. Montezuma Castle was impressive to see.
Recs-
Cuptown for morning coffee
Lunch at Hideaway House in Sedona and Colt in Cottonwood
Dinners at The Vault, Mariposa, and the Hudson
Nightcap spot was The Red Wall Distillery
Didn't get to wineries like we wanted since we bought some great bottles of Cab and Syrah on Main Street

Ag CPA
12:01p, 3/14/24
Thanks for the pics, we are going next month (staying at Enchantment) for the first time and are excited.
jja79
6:33p, 3/14/24
Nice.
wildcat08
7:33p, 3/14/24
Check out Enchantment Resort. It's in a box canyon about 5 miles out of town. It won't be your cheapest option (to say the least) but it's an awesome experience.
FiTxAg04
8:26a, 3/15/24
Enchantment is amazing. Went last year, and ready to go back.
maroon10
11:03a, 3/19/24
Ideal time to go? Months to absolutely avoid?
AgOutsideAustin
5:19p, 3/19/24
In reply to maroon10
maroon10 said:

Ideal time to go? Months to absolutely avoid?

Spring break was perfect for us, highs in the mid 60's and lows around 40. Cool enough for non sweaty hikes and patio food/beverages.
maroon10
8:58p, 3/19/24
Good to know- looking to go this year since we have companion pass so missed that boat. Wondering if post Thanksgiving would be too cold.
jja79
10:30p, 3/19/24
In reply to maroon10
I live in the Valley. Son and GF visited for Christmas. Went to Sedona 12/19. He was in a tee shirt. That said it does get cold and snow but not sure that's altogether bad. Not sure there's a bad time to visit northern Arizona. Different summer weather than we have in Phoenix because of elevation.
Burn-It
5:03a, 3/21/24
Not the cheapest option for a small family excursion, but my wife & I took an hour helicopter tour. Incredible experience through all of the canyons in the area that you can't otherwise get to by ground.
AKA 13-0
PGAG
11:14a, 3/21/24
We're headed out soon! Appreciate all the feedback!
jja79
2:22p, 3/21/24
In reply to PGAG
Post pictures. Not many places better for photos.
PGAG
3:55p, 3/21/24
In reply to jja79
Will do
Matsui
6:05p, 3/21/24
great report thanks for sharing
The Chicken Ranch
7:47p, 3/21/24
If we ever go back, we are staying at Junepine up in the canyon.
PGAG
7:56p, 5/6/24
What a trip! Thanks to those that made recommendations on the thread. We stayed in the Cottonwood Historical District. It was nice this time, but I think next round (and there will be another round) we'll stay in Sedona.

Hiked several cool trails. Devil's Bridge is a can't miss imo. There really aren't bad trails in Sedona. And there are tons of them.

Had breakfast a couple times at the Coffee Pot and definitely recommend. Tavern Grille was outstanding in Cottonwood and Ayeeee Chihuahua kn Cottonwood had great fajitas.

Weather was awesome although they did get rain and snow as you'll see when we were headed home. I've attached a couple of pics. Glad to address any questions.

jja79
8:40p, 5/6/24
In reply to PGAG
Pictures are fantastic but they really don't do the scenery justice do they?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings