Baton Rouge Hotel for One Night on the Way to Southern Alabama?
724 Views | 8 Replies
txags92
11:56p, 4/30/24
My older sister will be going to a quilt retreat with friends this summer and will be driving from Houston to Southern Alabama (Florala). She doesn't want to drive all the way in one day, so she was thinking of stopping somewhere around Baton Rouge. What is the safest relatively inexpensive place to get a hotel along that stretch? I saw a bunch of national chain type places around LSU…is that area safe for the most part? Or is there somewhere else within an hour or so east or west of there that would be a better idea? She is not going to be hitting bars or going out walking to restaurants after dark. She just needs a clean safe place to sleep along the way to Alabama, where hopefully she won't get carjacked or have her car stolen while she sleeps. TIA
CrottyKid
7:08a, 5/1/24
We spent the night at the Hampton Inn & Suites at 11271 Reiger Rd in March on our way to New Orleans. It wasn't a 5 star hotel, but it wasn't a dump, and the area seemed about as safe as you can find just off the interstate in Baton Rouge. The pillows sucked, though.
The Chicken Ranch
7:15a, 5/1/24
Any of the Holiday Inn properties along I10/I12 are fine. If you stay close to Acadian Thurway, you can eat at Acme. Just sayin'…
Milwaukees Best Light
8:22a, 5/1/24
I used to stay in that cluster of chain hotels off College. I believe these are the ones you were referring to. I never had any problems and felt safe. That area is not poor. There are several chain restaurants that are walkable.
Driving around there is maddening. Tons of forced left or right turns with no warning.
chick79
2:13p, 5/1/24
I would avoid Baton Rouge at all costs! It's not a safe city.
txags92
2:18p, 5/1/24
In reply to chick79
chick79 said:

So what options within an hour or so east or west along I10 are safer?
Harry Stone
2:55p, 5/1/24
In reply to txags92
txags92 said:

chick79 said:

So what options within an hour or so east or west along I10 are safer?

Check St George

Cinco Ranch Aggie
7:39p, 5/2/24
I'd keep going, take I-12 to bypass New Orleans, and stay in Hammond or Covington. I stayed in a typical road side motel in Covington for our Sugar Bowl back in 99, never felt unsafe and was far cheaper than places in N.O.
#FJB
PerdidoKey2030
12:26p, 5/4/24
Over the last 10 years, Houston To Perdido Key, if we stop for the night, always in Covington...even have a Cafe Du Monde where the kids can watch them make beignets. Safer town than most, according to internet rankings.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings