How much concession would you give buyer after inspection
2,928 Views | 28 Replies
Dan Scott
8:53p, 5/6/24
Here's the list the buyer requested. Some is fair but others WTF. Based off the numbering they had more and deleted.

1. AC cooling repair- the house did not cool as expected. Believed to be the condenser short cycling.
3. Place the pad under the AC condenser ( it's too close to the ground)
4. Replace air filters in the home heater
6. Surge protector missing in the electric panel
8. Sealant around windows cracked and missing in the living room and master bedroom.
9. Replace damaged Window screen (in 2nd bedroom)
10. Doors not closing properly in (2nd bedroom and half bathroom downstairs)
11. Drywall cracks in the garage, living room and 2nd floor.
12. Garage door sealant missing in some places
14. Garbage disposal is not functioning, needs repair or replacement.
15. One kitchen exhaust light is missing/not functioning.
16. Garage entry door (from garage into the house) not self closing.
17. Main garage door doesn't close well on the left lower end.
18. Garage doors operators (photoelectric eyes) installed too low. Recommend 6 to 8 inches from the floor)
19. Garage lintel is rusted. Recommending it to be sanded and paired to reduce rust.
20. Half bathroom flush lever damaged.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
9:21p, 5/6/24
Depends on the market,

House I bought and sold in the heights I was told and subsequently told the buyer when I sold , the house is what it is and I have 5 buyers behind you.

Some markets though so light repairs are fine.
A lot of those can be diy'd or honestly should have been corrected before being listed.
For example the window screen, exhaust fan light and flush lever are a nothing cost and very little diy time to "fix" that honestly should have been addressed by a competent realtor before listing.
Martin Q. Blank
7:56a, 5/7/24
1. It's May. It probably is short cycling. It does great in the summer though.
3. Easy.
4. Easy.
6. Panel was to the code cycle it was installed. It's not "missing."
8. Easy.
9. Easy.
10 and 11. Honestly surprised they didn't ask for foundation repair.
12. Garage door sealant?
14. Is it? Surprised you didn't know.
15. Easy.
16. Never heard of this.
17. Another foundation issue?
18. Easy.
19. Easy.
20. Easy.
FightinTAC08
9:05a, 5/7/24
these are all petty. none of these are deal breakers.

if i wanted to sell now? 1500 bucks and go away. none of that is worth dealing with.
aggiepaintrain
9:26a, 5/7/24
$1000
if I wanted a house, I would never send that long of a list that is some petty BS
Ducks4brkfast
10:20a, 5/7/24
Those are pretty minor, however as a buyer with those issues, I'd immediately ask for a foundation inspection.
Dan Scott
10:39a, 5/7/24
Foundation was fine per inspection report. Problem is I'm already relocated and don't want to deal with that. Buyer is 25 years old and appears to be first timer. I think the long list of issues that came up scared her.
Agilaw
11:11a, 5/7/24
I agree on offering $1,500.00 and let the Buyer take care of those minor items. Not worth the hassle of trying to fix them and then having the Buyer come back right before closing and saying something wasn't done correctly.
12thMan9
11:19a, 5/7/24
In reply to Dan Scott
Dan Scott said:

Buyer is 25 years old..... her.

NOW we found the issues.
Ronnie '88
aTm papi
11:43a, 5/7/24
In reply to Dan Scott
What does your realtor say?
AgsMyDude
8:46p, 5/8/24
How old is the AC unit?
HomeFinderCody
Sponsor
9:57a, 5/9/24
Lean on your Realtor for advice (assuming you have a good one). Most of those are handyman items. I'd work to solve with $$. Let them deal with the stuff after closing. The amount isn't going to be anything major. Solving it with money is the cleanest and easiest way. What price range is the home?
Sponsor Message: Need real estate help in North Texas? Click Here to Save $500
The Fife
10:24a, 5/9/24
I'd do 4, 14, and 20. Don't bother with the rest because there are probably a ton of backup offers if you have a 25 year old on the deal.

I got a good laugh out of #16 because to me that would be a plus
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
10:25a, 5/9/24
In reply to The Fife
The Fife said:

I'd do 4, 14, and 20. Don't bother with the rest because there are probably a ton of backup offers if you have a 25 year old on the deal.

I got a good laugh out of #16 because to me that would be a plus

Based on having a 25 yo on the deal
I'm going to guess this is at the lower end of the mkt with enough inventory that looks almost identical to make it that it would be harder than normal to sell.
The Fife
10:52a, 5/9/24
In reply to Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
Crazy, over here there's zero inventory for that kind of thing. Builders can't come anywhere close to keeping up.
Diggity
11:34a, 5/9/24
lotta assumptions here based on zero knowledge of the market or the buyer's situation.
NoahAg
2:23p, 5/9/24
In reply to aTm papi
aTm papi said:

What does your realtor say?
...and do the opposite.
Sea Speed
6:47p, 5/9/24
Number 19 Holy ***** I cant imagine asking for that to be done, and dust being used as the reason? Its OUTSIDE.

I also have never seen an inspection report that DOESNT mention window sealant cracked.
62strat
12:02p, 5/10/24
In reply to Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Depends on the market,

House I bought and sold in the heights I was told and subsequently told the buyer when I sold , the house is what it is and I have 5 buyers behind you.

Some markets though so light repairs are fine.
A lot of those can be diy'd or honestly should have been corrected before being listed.
For example the window screen, exhaust fan light and flush lever are a nothing cost and very little diy time to "fix" that honestly should have been addressed by a competent realtor before listing.
this.,

We sold in 2012, and had a signed contingent back up offer higher than the accepted one.

The buyer had a huge list, I told him 'house is as is'. He ended up buying anyway.
Admiral_ZAX
4:32p, 5/12/24
"The house is sold "as is" and priced accordingly."
flashplayer
9:08p, 5/12/24
Most those issues would have been blatantly obvious on a walk through. I would tell them the house is as is and not even think of blinking.
DannyDuberstein
9:38p, 5/12/24
Ticky tacky list. First time buyers can be a real beating if they don't get good coaching from their agent and inspector. Some get a long list from a thorough inspector, freak out, and then overdo the ask.

Give me a narrowed down list of actual issues that were not entirely apparent when you made your offer, and I may very well get it done or settle on a reasonable $. Give me a list of BS and I'm going to offer a token sum, even if a few more legit items are embedded in it. You knew what you are buying - you did not sign a contract for a brand new house and I'm not going to make it new for you in this process with some ticky-tack punch list.
Dan Scott
11:40p, 5/12/24
Listed at $499,900 and accepted offer of $490K after 2 offers on market 3 weeks.

Realtor told me these are normal requests and I should offer them $3,800. I told her F that. She told me if it goes back on the market it's going to sit because buyers will be wondering what happened. Plus the fact I'm 5 hours away it's not worth dealing with it. Reluctantly offered $2K and they accepted.

Anyways good on the buyer for asking and getting $2k. Pissed me off though because it felt like a shakedown in a way. More pissed at buyer for telling me these are normal request.

It's done, closing in couple weeks.
Matsui
5:38a, 5/13/24
In reply to Dan Scott
Congrats on the sale. Good work throwing cash and it and being done.
RoyVal
7:43a, 5/13/24
In reply to Dan Scott
Dan Scott said:

Listed at $499,900 and accepted offer of $490K after 2 offers on market 3 weeks.

Realtor told me these are normal requests and I should offer them $3,800. I told her F that. She told me if it goes back on the market it's going to sit because buyers will be wondering what happened. Plus the fact I'm 5 hours away it's not worth dealing with it. Reluctantly offered $2K and they accepted.

Anyways good on the buyer for asking and getting $2k. Pissed me off though because it felt like a shakedown in a way. More pissed at buyer for telling me these are normal request.

It's done, closing in couple weeks.
not a shakedown...you just blinked first. grand scheme of things $2k is nothing. congrats on sale.
SoTheySay
8:18p, 5/13/24
Curious - is this how the requests came? These aren't even requests. They're statements.
12thMan9
9:13p, 5/13/24
Go back & offer to be the fix-it man. Charge her $5K.
Ronnie '88
harrierdoc
1:08p, 5/16/24
In reply to Dan Scott
what did you pay for the house, and how long have you lived there?
TombstoneTex
3:38p, 5/16/24
Post inspection is about the only time the buyer has any power recently and this thread is a perfect example of that.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings