Ketch isnt messing around
30,527 Views | 202 Replies
Guitarsoup
11:08a, 7/28/14
Can the school provide him with a lawyer to be a plaintiff in a civil suit? Seems outside the scope of normal benefits if they can't provide him with free water to wash his car that isn't available to normal students.

I could see it possibly being permissible for an attorney to take his case on a contingency basis since that is a normal practice for many attorneys. My copyright attorney works for me on contingency.
LylaGarrity
11:09a, 7/28/14
Speedy would need to go after Rivals respondent superior, who would settle most likely but it would be a huge hassle and expensive. Defamation is really not awarded often. Be expensive to bring the suit as well because he would need to prove the "of and concern" element and "defamatory statement" (that tweet doesn't explicitly damage his reputation or actually claim he personally was involved in a crime of moral turpitude) elements with extrinsic evidence. Also, if Speedy is concerned a 'private person in a matter of public concern' he would have Fats constitutional concerns to deal with and have to prove Fats was negligent on top of everything else. He would also have to file suit in Cedar Park, right in the heart of "I went to Texas State/ACC therefore I pretend to have gone to tu".
Per se is only the minority rule. All this depends on how the judge would rule and because it's in Cedar Park. Settling would be expensive because rivals won't want to lay down and pay out establishing a precedent of having to pay top recruits for comments made my website moderators at a different school.
Billy probably has a better claim. Billy could use damage to business reputation and prove the "of and concerning" by the later tweets between the two.
That Oprah example is just totally wrong. She would be a public person so actual malice would be required and it is really really difficult to meet that standard. Think of all the tabloids and national enquire and tmz out there.

[This message has been edited by Lylagarrity (edited 7/28/2014 10:15a).]
AG @ HEART
11:11a, 7/28/14
quote:
WOW! This guy really has a chip on his shoulder. Sensitive little fella, isn't he?

Cheddar & sour cream to be exact
Tom Doniphon
11:13a, 7/28/14
A lawsuit doesn't have to be "won" to make life a living hell for the defendant.
doubledegreeAG
11:15a, 7/28/14
I don't know how to put this in legal jargon, but does the fact that Ketch own a business that trades in information make him any more liable than the average person?
Guitarsoup
11:15a, 7/28/14
Co-Defendant Rivalries might find the filing and basis of a suit off-putting.
Guitarsoup
11:18a, 7/28/14
Don't think so, doubledegree.

His antics keep him from getting hired by any real journalism-sector employer, but his terrible writing would have prevented that anyway.
Tom Doniphon
11:18a, 7/28/14
quote:
I don't know how to put this in legal jargon, but does the fact that Ketch own a business that trades in information make him any more liable than the average person?

There is that pesky code of ethics.
aggiehawg
11:19a, 7/28/14
Has he apologized? Seems to me he was equivocating and re-directing the blame at BZ. But he does admit consciously making a pun using "speedy". Evidence of malice? Or just negligence?

A letter from an attorney demanding a retraction and apology would probably be the best Speedy could do. And that would be very hard for Ketch to do, since he's seldom if ever wrong.
Kemo Sabe
11:21a, 7/28/14
An alert just went out in the greater Austin area to luby's, picadlly's, Golden Corral all Chinese food places to pull their "all you can eat" signs because ketch has to be hungry after finishing that diatribe. Subscription fees for all the sip suckers that buy his newsletter just went up too!

[This message has been edited by Kemo sabe (edited 7/28/2014 10:21a).]
Guitarsoup
11:22a, 7/28/14
Don't act like Ketch wrote that in one sitting. All that finger exercise would have drive him past exhaustion. It took him at least a week to touch that many keys.
ag92tx
11:43a, 7/28/14
Was Speedy's name mentioned by anyone? If not, how would he sue for defamation when nobody mentioned his name?
Guitarsoup
11:45a, 7/28/14
Speedy's name was mentioned by Colin and Ketch.

However:

quote:
You Can Be Sued For Slander Even If You Don’t Use The Person’s Name

Our nation’s free speech rights erroneously lead some people to believe they’re legally untouchable when it comes to smack talking and divulging others’ secrets online. For example, many believe that if you don’t use your target’s actual name then you can’t be prosecuted.

That is not necessarily true. So long as another individual can figure out the person being described, then it’s possible to be sued for defamation. For example, let’s say you make a YouTube video about “a female talk show host, who now has her own television station, and recently interviewed Lance Armstrong said [insert disparaging comment here]” – expect Oprah Winfrey to sue you. Moreover, expect her to win if (a) what you said was false, (b) you knew it was false and did it anyway, and (c) the statements caused “O” reputational or financial harm.

Teslag
11:56a, 7/28/14
Ketch's defense would be that, at the time of the posting, he didn't know the report was false.
aggiehawg
11:59a, 7/28/14
quote:
Ketch's defense would be that, at the time of the posting, he didn't know the report was false.

OTOH, he didn't try to confirm it, and didn't know if it were true, either.

Guitarsoup
12:01p, 7/28/14
And that defense is crap because he didn't have a reasonable expectation that it was true. He sources Taylor, who I do not believe posted Speedy's name.

He had to have a reasonable belief that it was true, which he did not have.

Because he did not try to verify anything, he showed actual malice - that is - a reckless disregard for truth.

It is defamation if you post it knowing it is false OR if you show a reckless disregard for the truth. He showed a reckless disregard for truth because he took an internet message board post that was deliberately vague and posted that Speedy had been arrested.

He done messed up.
goodAg80
12:05p, 7/28/14
It would be fun to speculate on details about ketch that are unverifiable.
Guitarsoup
12:09p, 7/28/14
I read somewhere on numbers that a fat blogger is fluent in Thai due to their frequent trips to Pattaya.
Personal Best
12:25p, 7/28/14
You guys would be pissed too if you blew out all your stomach staples and had to s hit out 36 hot wings every morning.
The Collective
12:30p, 7/28/14
quote:
It would be fun to speculate on details about ketch that are unverifiable.
Jock 07
12:37p, 7/28/14
Where's that picture with his name at the top of the list of Plucker's hall of fame
DayAg!
12:38p, 7/28/14
Ketch and truth shouldnt be used in the same sentence. That blowhard has got more stuff wrong in his career than a fortune teller at the carnival.I told him to just leave it alone but he just had to open his mouth and prove once again what an absolute charlatan he is.
goodAg80
12:40p, 7/28/14
Ketch should rename is blog:

правда (Pravda)
BohunkAg
12:46p, 7/28/14
quote:
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
posted 9:05a, 07/28/14

There's legitimate concern that ut may not escape the opener against North Texas with a win, and Ketchs writing several-thousand word diatribes about A&M?

It'd be impossible to have a more perfect idiot to be the face of the internet for ut.

Exactly
Prosperdick
12:47p, 7/28/14
Just flip it for a second, can you imagine if Looch made a comment about a sip 5 star player arrested for armed robbery...good lord Austin might just implode.

Of course nobody can imagine it because it's preposterous and shows the Grand Canyonesque divide between the two.
el aggie
1:27p, 7/28/14
He may be fat, but at least he's also dumb.
jetch17
2:12p, 7/28/14
anyone listening to this dildo's show? what a schlong....

"Im A&Ms daddy"
p_bubel
2:16p, 7/28/14
NoneGiven
2:17p, 7/28/14
quote:
anyone listening to this dildo's show? what a schlong....

No.
Sea Gull
2:24p, 7/28/14
Why do we give him the time of day? The dude is making a living sniffing 18 year old's jock straps and depends on internet attention to not only make a living but also survive. Just quit listening or reading his stuff. He's a terrible writer and completely lies out of his ass.
spadilly
2:25p, 7/28/14
He just can't stop talking about us.
We occupy so much space in his head.
spadilly
2:26p, 7/28/14
haircut
2:29p, 7/28/14
GBH is doing a fantastic job regarding this piece of crap.

quote:
Me: "Man, I don't know that I could do what you do."
Him: (laughs) "Yeah."
Me: "Let me ask you something, do you really believe everything that you're reporting to them or is that just not something you can do?"
Him: (laughs) "Let me tell you something, if I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear from me, I wouldn't have a job. I'm sure you know what I mean."
Me: "Actually, I don't. I feel pretty strongly that the most important thing that my subscribers want out of me is the truth and honesty, whether it's good or bad."
Him: "Well, it's not like that here."

The "Me: They:" dialogues are the worst. Every time I read one of these I immediately know its a lie or embellishment and almost always lame.
BlackLab
2:40p, 7/28/14
Whatever doctor stapled his stomach together did a pretty ****ty job.

[This message has been edited by BlackLab (edited 7/28/2014 1:41p).]
13 0 Branding Iron
2:40p, 7/28/14
Fatass is now stealing my "Daddy" schtick? Call agent and slappy: speedy and I are about to trot out the TexAgs version of Shock and Awe.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings