Ko'olau Golf
1,230 Views | 12 Replies
Mr.Bond
9:30a, 5/3/24

Played here when my sister lived in Kaneohe..... tragic man..
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

tlfw378
9:39a, 5/3/24
In reply to Mr.Bond
Sad, but a serious miscalculation on the environmental conditions. It will never come back.
Buck Compton
3:15p, 5/3/24
It was such a fantastic course and was my best irons round ever. Which was good because I think I only pulled driver on like 3-4 holes, too much danger. Tough course, but first time I broke 85.

Glad I got to play it when I did (2019). Can't remember his name, but an Aggie at the pro shop actually gave me a deal.

AgOutsideAustin
3:35p, 5/3/24
Lazy and don't want to watch the video so what happened there ?
bowhuntr
5:40p, 5/3/24
The only way to make this place playable is with a very expensive sub-air system on just about the whole course. You can't mow often enough, most of the year, when it rains like it does there.

Beautiful spot though.
aggietony2010
6:12p, 5/3/24
In reply to AgOutsideAustin
Initially was going to be a rich Japanese club. Japanese market crashed around time of completion, tried as a public course, changed hands a couple times, bought by a Presbyterian church (who wanted the clubhouse and parking). Church leases the golf course to management company. They bailed after 2 years. Currently run by a pro who does lessons and maintains 9 holes as a practice course, and the other 9 basically as an outline of what was (just keeping it from being completely overgrown, not playable)

But rain is a problem. Gets a ton more rain than locations a couple miles away because of the micro-climates you get from the mountains in Hawaii.
AgOutsideAustin
8:18p, 5/3/24
In reply to aggietony2010
Thanks
BigHitterDaLama
1:41p, 5/4/24
In reply to Mr.Bond
Enjoyed watching that. Thanks for posting.
Mr.Bond
5:47p, 5/4/24
In reply to BigHitterDaLama
BigHitterDaLama said:

Enjoyed watching that. Thanks for posting.

Hope you're well my friend
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AgLA06
2:04p, 5/5/24
In reply to bowhuntr
bowhuntr said:

The only way to make this place playable is with a very expensive sub-air system on just about the whole course. You can't mow often enough, most of the year, when it rains like it does there.

Beautiful spot though.

I wonder if they could put a plan together to do so in a staged way to lesson cost and get some revenue.

Maybe do the par 3's on the back nine (and convert a short par 4 if need to get 3 playable holes). Then convert 3 other holes to par 3's and add the system. Then the last 3. Then add the system to what was the par 4s to stretch the back to par 4s. Then the 5s.

If the back 9 was a playable course in 10 years it could drive revenue to maybe do the front 9.
bowhuntr
10:10p, 5/5/24
In reply to AgLA06
AgLA06 said:

bowhuntr said:

Beautiful spot though.

I wonder if they could put a plan together to do so in a staged way to lesson cost and get some revenue.

Maybe do the par 3's on the back nine (and convert a short par 4 if need to get 3 playable holes). Then convert 3 other holes to par 3's and add the system. Then the last 3. Then add the system to what was the par 4s to stretch the back to par 4s. Then the 5s.

If the back 9 was a playable course in 10 years it could drive revenue to maybe do the front 9.

Maybe. I would want to see how the neighbor course, Royal Hawaiian, was doing from a financial perspective. There are no resorts close by, so it's not the most convenient location. I played this course in 2010 and it was in great shape. Came back in 2015 and it had fallen to pieces.

skrockit88
2:04a, 5/6/24
Mahalo for posting. The video brings back so many memories. Played here often from '10-'16.
dcrewint
8:32a, 5/6/24

The only picture I have from 2019
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE