Lake Palestine courses
1,333 Views | 15 Replies
MetrocrestAg
4:28p, 5/5/24
Looking for information on two courses on Lake Palestine, Eagle's Bluff and Emerald Bay.

Thanks for helping!
ETxAg07
8:12p, 5/5/24
In reply to MetrocrestAg
I live in Emerald Bay and I'm familiar with Eagles Bluff.
What info are you looking for?
MetrocrestAg
8:19a, 5/6/24
I am visiting family in the area and would like to play a round or two.

Condition and play ability are what I am most interested in.
MAROON
9:00a, 5/6/24
In reply to MetrocrestAg
The course you are seeking is Pine Dunes
TMfrisco
9:40a, 5/6/24
You probably can't get on EBCC or Emerald Bay unless you are a member someplace and your Pro calls for you.
If you can, Emerald Bay is an "old person's course". EBCC is a good course and fun to play.

Pine Dunes is your answer if you can't get on the others and don't mind driving a little.
RogerFurlong
11:44a, 5/6/24
You won't get on Emerald Bay without knowing someone out there that is willing to play with you.
ETxAg07
10:28p, 5/6/24
Both courses are great but as mentioned, private.
What dates are you looking to play? If your schedule matches up with mine, I can get you on at emerald bay.

Pine dunes is about 30 mins south. It's a great public course.
Outside of that there's not many options. Oakhurst would be closest but it's always in terrible shape.
Cherokee country club is decent.
zephyr88
7:57a, 5/15/24
In reply to MAROON
MAROON said:

The course you are seeking is Pine Dunes
This is a hidden gem that we've been going to for years.

Well worth the journey.

Double check tho... they just punched/sanded recently.
jonj101
2:03p, 5/15/24
Side note, I played Tempest in Gladewater for the first time this past weekend and the fairways were in rough shape. In a number of areas they had that netting exposed that is usually under the turf.

I still had fun, but it was a little disappointing considering how long I've been waiting to play there, and its a top 25 public course in Texas.
RogerFurlong
3:15p, 5/15/24
In reply to jonj101
jonj101 said:

Side note, I played Tempest in Gladewater for the first time this past weekend and the fairways were in rough shape. In a number of areas they had that netting exposed that is usually under the turf.

I still had fun, but it was a little disappointing considering how long I've been waiting to play there, and its a top 25 public course in Texas.
That's disappointing to hear. Pine Dunes looks like their course is in great condition. Of course they have the perfect soil for a golf course. Hopefully the Tempest will get it figured out before summer hits.
Bobaloo
3:19p, 5/15/24
I've played the Links at Lands End several times. It is fairly close to Lake Palestine. It is what I call a 'beer drinkers' course. It is always in decent shape. A few holes are challenging (all holes are challenging to me). Always play with a large group of lifelong friends. The course has nice condos with a common area which are great for catching up and laughter.
Shelton98
4:14p, 5/15/24
In reply to jonj101
jonj101 said:

They basically built that course on top of iron-ore. There's probably always going to be some rough spots. It's still fun to play though.
El Sucio
7:43a, 5/16/24
In reply to Shelton98
I was planning on playing Tempest and Pine Dunes a couple of weeks ago but the weather didn't cooperate, so I had to choose one course to play before the storms came through. I played Pine Dunes and was a little underwhelmed by it. My expectations were really high after reading all of the reviews. The course was in good condition but it didn't help that it was a plus 5 hr round.
AustinCountyAg
8:14a, 5/16/24
In reply to El Sucio
El Sucio said:

I was planning on playing Tempest and Pine Dunes a couple of weeks ago but the weather didn't cooperate, so I had to choose one course to play before the storms came through. I played Pine Dunes and was a little underwhelmed by it. My expectations were really high after reading all of the reviews. The course was in good condition but it didn't help that it was a plus 5 hr round.
thats surprising. I've never experienced that out there. Usually pace of play is pretty good. I agree about the course being over hyped though. While it is good, I can list plenty more public ones in TX that I think are better. Well worth playing if you're in the area, but not a top 5 public course in the state IMO.
TMfrisco
9:40a, 5/16/24
Pine Dunes is a really good golf course - not great, but beats anything public within an hour of there. I haven't played Tempest, but it is also about an hour from Pine Dunes so it kind of depends on where you are staying.

There are some holes at Pine Dunes that let it down. 1 and 2 are "ok" for opening holes. 13 and 14 are fine to me, but not "great". 5,11, and 18 would all be really good par 5s, but I don't really like having all 3 of them on one course - a little too tricked up for my tastes.

It is not the kind of course I would enjoy playing everyday - there are way worse options, but it is one I enjoy playing 2-3 times a year and I never regret going there.
El Sucio
9:43a, 5/16/24
In reply to AustinCountyAg
The old timer in the proshop warned me that it was going to be stacked. I had a late Saturday afternoon tee time. I was a single and got paired up with other single who was playing his second round of the day. We were stuck behind groups that were playing for money. When we finally got to the 18th, there were probably 20 younger guys watching the groups come in. They must of had some huge guys golf trip. Then there was another group of about 40 old timers hanging out cooking and drinking at the big house next to the green.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings