Push mower recs!
1,999 Views | 28 Replies
amg405
1:12p, 5/2/24
My trusty old push mower has finally bit the dust and I have to do portions of my yard with a push mower.

Looked for a past thread and can't seem to find it…

I'm open to both gas (all my other equipment is gas) or electric. Cost is not an issue but not interested in a million bells and whistles for no reason. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sweet Kitten Feet
1:21p, 5/2/24
How big is your yard and what type of grass? My Honda self-propelled has been bullet-proof for years, but my yard is small enough that I'll consider the EGO mower next time. I have the EGO blower and trimmer and love them.
BenTheGoodAg
1:22p, 5/2/24
I recommend a teenager!

There was a recent thread on the OB with lots of recs, that may help: Your favorite push mower
amg405
1:42p, 5/2/24
Overall the yard is about 1.5 acres which is mostly a riding mower… but weird elevations in some spots require a push mower.
CFTXAG10
1:46p, 5/2/24
+1 Honda self-propelled
amg405
1:55p, 5/2/24
Anybody have thoughts on this one?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-POWER-56-volt-21-in-Self-propelled-Lawn-Mower-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-6-Ah-Battery-Charger-Included/5013742993

It would be between the one above and the gas Honda
bam02
2:25p, 5/2/24
I think the ego electric is perfect for your use. I have a battery powered Dewalt that I use for my yard and I'm very pleased with it, but if I wasn't already invested in DeWalt batteries, I would have gone with the ego.
Dill-Ag13
3:20p, 5/2/24
In 10 years you'll be on your second set of batteries on the ego at a minimum. On the Honda you'll still be on your first carburetor
scd88
3:58p, 5/2/24
In reply to CFTXAG10
CFTXAG10 said:

+1 Honda self-propelled

I've got two. One for my St.Augustine front yard, and another for my Tif Tuf Bermuda back yard.

Honda. Always.
Texker
4:26p, 5/2/24
I've had a cordless electric mower since 1998 and am a 5 year owner of the EGO line. I like the EGO mower although it could use a little more power at times to navigate through tall or wet grass.
Aggietaco
4:36p, 5/2/24
This is the Ego that most recommend. You just missed a deal that went for about 6 weeks that gave you a free 5 AH battery as well. If you don't have and don't intend to transition to Ego for a string trimmer and blower, I would stick with one of the gas units. I've had good luck with my Toro for the past 14 years with a B&S motor.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-56-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Self-Propelled-21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Battery-Included/5000200363
wcb
4:51p, 5/2/24
In reply to Aggietaco
Aggietaco said:

This is the Ego that most recommend. You just missed a deal that went for about 6 weeks that gave you a free 5 AH battery as well. If you don't have and don't intend to transition to Ego for a string trimmer and blower, I would stick with one of the gas units. I've had good luck with my Toro for the past 14 years with a B&S motor.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-56-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Self-Propelled-21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Battery-Included/5000200363

I couldn't keep my last gas mower running to save my life. Went with the electric you mentioned and it's worked great.
Aggietaco
8:13a, 5/3/24
In reply to wcb
I really wanted to pick it up during the recent promo, but I haven't had a single issue with my highly neglected Toro. Picked it up as a refurb from HD in 2009 and I only change the oil every other year and replace the air filter. Was thinking to pick up the Ego and have the almost 7 year old start helping with the lawn, but I was convinced that I should wait until next year.
FightinTAC08
8:27a, 5/3/24
i bought that EGO last month. its been great but i have a normal suburban lawn. i like the quietness and the lightweight. i don't care for the self propelled mess but you don't have to use it. just feels different not using gas. it does bog down if you let the grass get too long so if gets a couple inches i think you are in for a fight, but i think wet grass hurts it more than the height.

I came from a Toro that was 10 years and still kicking. i sent the toro off to some family and upgraded myself. that toro started 2 pulls or less all 10 years. no oil changes ever.
Brandon Witte
2:45p, 5/3/24
+100 for Honda Self-propelled.

The recent years Honda cut back on production due to "green" inciatives but since then, in 2024, started manufacturing again.

The model, which I have myself, is Model# HRN216VKAD

Kraft Punk
8:23p, 5/5/24
Honda self propelled

Only idiots buy electric dog**** trash
Gil Renard
8:18a, 5/6/24
I love Atlas brand from Harbor Frieght. Traditional looking too. It's the Hank hill in me
Leggo My Elko
11:44a, 5/6/24
I've had a Honda that's been bombproof for about 8 years.
bmn04
11:45a, 5/6/24
I bought an Ego this past year. It shuts off all the time in thick grass, which gets really annoying.
hijakeroo123
12:37p, 5/6/24
I have had an EGO mower for the past three years and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. The only downsides are the cost of the batteries and a tendency for the mower to sometimes stall out in thick, wet grass (as others have mentioned). If it does stall out, I have found that simply lighting up to clear the blade area then restarting 10-15 seconds later usually gets it back going. I got the lowest-end model without self-propulsion as in my experience, it's just one more function to break. The mower is extremely lightweight, and the LED headlights come in handy if mowing early in the morning during the summer.

I can also vouch for the EGO trimmers and blowers, both of which are excellent. If you decide to get an EGO trimmer, spend the extra $50 for a model with the powerload head, it makes loading line quick and easy.
amg405
9:54a, 5/8/24
In reply to Kraft Punk
Kraft Punk said:

Honda self propelled

Only idiots buy electric dog**** trash

Aggressive mower takes for the win
tgivaughn
2:55p, 5/9/24
Well, I would never again buy a Ryobi 18v chain saw, even IF they made 8+ah batteries for it.
IF it can the job, it takes forever, using up same amount of chains, lube, cleanup.

Ergo, light jobs = electric, heavy jobs still gas or AC power cord ... that I will cut routinely.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Birdbear
10:45p, 5/10/24
I have an electric mower, blower and weed eater, all Stihl brand. I love being able to pop the batteries in and out and never have to worry about old gas and trouble with the pull start not working
1208HawkTree
1:15p, 5/12/24
I'm a toro-loyalist, but have owned and used others over the last 30+ years. My current Super Recycler I bought 2-3 years ago is the best mower I've ever owned. Cuts great, starts up on two pulls max every time, and is easy to maneuver.
Southlake
11:55a, 5/13/24
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but +1000 Honda self propelled. About 500 bucks. Worth twice that.
gabehcoud
4:52p, 5/13/24
Anybody have dewalt edger and/or mower? All of my power tools are dewalt so I'd like to stick with them.
Tired of replacing the plastic parts on my gas mower and tired of my echo edger leaking oil on my shirts.
bam02
5:21p, 5/13/24
In reply to gabehcoud
I have both. Happy with them.
clobby
8:39p, 5/14/24
Honda. No issues with mine other than me hitting a paver. Starts second pull on first mow of the year and 1st pull all the other times.
Corps_Ag12
12:12p, 5/16/24
I have an EGO mower. I can do the whole front & back yard (corner lot) on a half charged battery.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings