Broken pool light. Approximate cost to fix?
1,255 Views | 11 Replies
ME92
3:44p, 5/5/24
Hi All,

The light is broken in a family member's pool. It's the traditional style of a single light on the wall of the deep end.

How much should this cost to fix?

If the worst case scenario of bad wiring happens, is that possible to fix and how much does it cost?

Thanks in advance.
Absolute
7:31p, 5/5/24
Bulb?

Replaced mine myself when we bought this house 4 years ago because I wanted a led color changing light. Iirc it only required a screwdriver. Hardest part was holding my breath and staying down at its level. They have a long cord to allow you to do the actual work on the pool deck. You tube it.
ME92
9:10p, 5/5/24
My situation is a bit more complicated.

They don't know where the switch to turn the light on is located. I couldn't find it either.

The light housing is loose. You can move it about 1.5 to 2 inches in each direction against the pool wall.

This could be as simple as changing a burnt out bulb. But it also could be a electrical nightmare if the wires are messed up.

I saw a $800 invoice on Reddit for a light repair. About $600 of that was just the light assembly. Amazon has pool lights for upwards of $500.

I'd like a pro to take care of this issue as I've never worked electrical stuff around a pool. I'm just prepping myself for the sticker shock if anybody has any experience in dealing with paying somebody else to do this repair.

Thanks for the intel on being able to change it myself. I might go that route first if it is as cheap as you say. (I have no idea on the brand or type of light I'm working with here.)
AgLA06
1:33p, 5/6/24
In reply to ME92
ME92 said:

Thanks for the intel on being able to change it myself. I might go that route first if it is as cheap as you say. (I have no idea on the brand or type of light I'm working with here.)
There usually isn't a light switch. It's low voltage through the pool controller.

If it's old enough it may just stay on all the time (which is why it's burned out).

Take a shot at replacing the bulb. Take some pictures of the assembly (including brand model number) when you have it out to replace the bulb because it might make sense to replace it with something new fairly soon even if changing the bulb works.
Comeby!
3:27p, 5/6/24
Yea, its low voltage and relatively easy to do. I did 5 of my 6 myself, couldnt fish the wire of 1.
Sea Speed
8:53p, 5/6/24
Yall have really piqued my interest i thought this was a huge ordeal. I'm going to piggyback on this thread when I get home. I had no idea that this was a no switch scenario. I've got a light out in 2 pools that I would love to fix.
Comeby!
9:40p, 5/6/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

Yall have really piqued my interest i thought this was a huge ordeal. I'm going to piggyback on this thread when I get home. I had no idea that this was a no switch scenario. I've got a light out in 2 pools that I would love to fix.

I was the same at one time. Thinking they were AC voltage
Sea Speed
10:06p, 5/6/24
In reply to Comeby!
Comeby! said:

Sea Speed said:

I was the same at one time. Thinking they were AC voltage

We have something like 7 switches outside in our pool area and our light isn't working and I couldn't figure out which was which so I am really grateful that this may be a simple fix. I swear the light at our rental is on a switch but it's been out since we bought the place as well. I called one place and they said it could be up to a several thousand dollar fix if they got there and the electrical stuff was all messed up so we just left it alone. Really happy to hear i may get out
relatively unscathed
ME92
1:34a, 5/7/24
How much does just the bulb cost?
AgLA06
7:55a, 5/7/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

It can be a huge ordeal or it can just be a burned out light. There's often switches that can't be found on old pools. They don't have to be outside. The can be anywhere including garages or inside the house. There could also be a photocell instead of a switch or in addition to a switch (so only flipping a switch at night would work).

Modern pools generally run everything through a controller.

Then of course it can get complicated if it's an electrical issue you have to trace back.

Step one is always replace the bulb.
TexAg1987
10:49a, 5/7/24
Bulbs can be low voltage 12V or 120V

Pool bulbs are pricy. $100-$300+

If it is a solid state unit, where you have to replace the entire assembly, even more expensive. New lights came with 50' of cord attached.

I had to replace two of those in my pool, pulling new wire, etc. I was lucky and was able to pull the wire myself with some help from my wife.

Be sure you can turn off the power before changing the bulb. Some bulbs need to be back in their sealed housing and submerged before you turn them back on.
Corps_Ag12
10:59a, 5/7/24
Where are you located?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE