Found a pic of her-my dad's de Havilland Otter ca 1964
593 Views | 5 Replies
Emotional Support Cobra
4:40p, 5/5/24
My dad passed last year. In the early-mid 60s he was stationed in Bad Tolz, Germany maintaining aircraft with the 10th SF (Airborne).

We heard tales of that time and of his airplane, 55-3325, and her tail number was our "secret code" number for my whole life. I knew who she was but never saw her. I know these planes have a cool history and are popular bush planes for the same reasons the Army liked them.

My mom was going to throw out a bunch of 8mm tapes in a box as she processed through stuff and I grabbed them. I watched them today, 365 or so days later and at the end of the last tape of about 12 reels of men jumping out of planes onto snowy fields, he took film of his gal.

I don't know if she went to the scrap heap or is in a museum somewhere, but this is the first time I have ever seen her. I tried my best to take a pic off the 8mm viewer machine. It's not much. Just a 23-year old guy filming his plane. My son said, it's not a pile of nuts and bolts when it's YOUR pile of nuts and bolts."

Here is an internet photo of her sister:

CenterHillAg
5:50p, 5/5/24
History of the plane

DeHavilland's are pretty well documented, unfortunately it had a relatively short life it looks like. Otter's are great planes that are still pretty heavily flown in Alaska and Canada. I'm sure your Dad had a blast flying it.
Emotional Support Cobra
6:40p, 5/5/24
Oh, thank you so much! It means a lot, isn't it funny what 6 numbers you will never forget?

Here's my dad coming home:

OldArmyCT
12:33p, 5/6/24

That's my dad's B-24 in Wendling, England. 29 missions as a bombardier.
ABATTBQ87
4:33p, 5/8/24
In reply to OldArmyCT
OldArmyCT said:

That's my dad's B-24 in Wendling, England. 29 missions as a bombardier.

Plane name?
OldArmyCT
4:26a, 5/9/24
Big Ass Bird.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >