The Division Is Coming Back To The Army
1,060 Views | 12 Replies
WBBQ74
4:16p, 5/7/24
Saw an article when I opened my browser from some Defense Website about the Army going back to training Divisions to act as such at the NTC. Discussed a 1AD 2 week rotation there and lots of lessons learned when you try and exercise the whole unit at one time. It's about time.

The Army went to the Brigade mentality about 20 years ago with the idea that you can deploy a Brigade Combat Team easier and quicker. Maybe so but a more conventional fight against Russia or China is not going to be a Brigade action. Glad to see it but 20 years of breeding out Division level thinking will take some time to re-aquire. I spent my last 10 years in various billets in the DISCOM, 49AD, TxARNG. That unit does not exist anymore, neither the Division nor a DISCOM. I have wondered what type of staff replaced it because the logistical requirements, both actual and planning, never goes away. I would think that a Bde S4 kinda thinks stuff just shows up. The ones I served with back in the day certainly did. I would hope that active duty officers today have a more rounded logistical appreciation. Back in my day a DISCOM staff was about 35 officers, both commissioned and warrant. Lots of institutional knowledge to work with. MUCH more intense and with more moving pieces than a Division G4 shop.

I would welcome other comments from folks with more recent experience. I would go back and serve tomorrow but I don't think Uncle Sam wants my 72 year old self back.
Tanker123
6:22p, 5/8/24
In reply to WBBQ74
WBBQ74 said:

Saw an article when I opened my browser from some Defense Website about the Army going back to training Divisions to act as such at the NTC. Discussed a 1AD 2 week rotation there and lots of lessons learned when you try and exercise the whole unit at one time. It's about time.

The Army went to the Brigade mentality about 20 years ago with the idea that you can deploy a Brigade Combat Team easier and quicker. Maybe so but a more conventional fight against Russia or China is not going to be a Brigade action. Glad to see it but 20 years of breeding out Division level thinking will take some time to re-aquire. I spent my last 10 years in various billets in the DISCOM, 49AD, TxARNG. That unit does not exist anymore, neither the Division nor a DISCOM. I have wondered what type of staff replaced it because the logistical requirements, both actual and planning, never goes away. I would think that a Bde S4 kinda thinks stuff just shows up. The ones I served with back in the day certainly did. I would hope that active duty officers today have a more rounded logistical appreciation. Back in my day a DISCOM staff was about 35 officers, both commissioned and warrant. Lots of institutional knowledge to work with. MUCH more intense and with more moving pieces than a Division G4 shop.

I would welcome other comments from folks with more recent experience. I would go back and serve tomorrow but I don't think Uncle Sam wants my 72 year old self back.
It will be Ok. The Division Commander will be advised by G-Staff chiefs who are senior officers and have tons of experience in their branches. The institutional knowledge exists.
WBBQ74
9:47p, 5/8/24
In reply to Tanker123
FSB/ASBs were renamed and incorporated into the Brigade Combat Team. The old MSB and HHC DISCOM was renamed into a Sustainment Brigade or something like that. I would be interested in seeing the staff makeup for these new organizations because the needs do not go away, just the names/makeups of the units doing it. As I stated previously, my experience both active and reserve was that a Division G4 staff would be overwhelmed with what the old DISCOM staff used to do in planning and managing logistical support for a 16K person Division and all those units.

Any recent loggie staff types out there?
Smeghead4761
4:15a, 5/9/24
I was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division HQ (G-5 plans) from 2008-2011. The division HQs and their staffs never went away. What went away were most of the O-6 level, non-maneuver command HQs. DIVARTY and DIVENG disappeared, with their subordinate units put under the direct command of the BCTs. DISCOM became the smaller sustainment brigade, with the FSBs likewise put directly under the BCTs.

The DIVARTY HQ made a comeback some years back, as a "force fires HQ" or some such. But the FA battalions still belonged to the BCTs. And as far as I've heard, the division as a whole is still down one FA Bn (the GS bn) from the old organization.

I don't really know enough about how DIVENG was organized to know what difference any changes might make there.
Fly Army 97
12:08p, 5/11/24
Across the board we are getting better at planning and fighting large scale combat operations vs couter-insurgency that filled our ruck sack for 20 years. That said, we have been moving towards this since 2012 when we started to conduct 'decisive action training environment' rotations at the CTCs. At some point, we started to note that the unit of action for LSCO is the DIV. In COIN, a BN or BDE could conduct a lot of operations with marginal assistance from their DIV-level HQs...in current operations (vs future operations)....but in LSCO, brigades NEED coordination in fires, airspace, multi-domain assets, etc...that can't be coordinated or prioritized at a brigade level.

In 2020, 1st Infantry Division send the DIV HQs to NTC along with the aviation brigade and (I think) sustainment BDE. Up to that point, aviation presence at NTC was a small task force. There have been other DIV HQs at the CTCs, so over the course of 4 years, the level of complexity and rigor DIV HQs, maneuver BDEs, and enablers see has increased. This is good for us all.
WBBQ74
1:13p, 5/11/24
In reply to Fly Army 97
What is old becomes new again.
Smeghead4761
1:44a, 5/12/24
In reply to Fly Army 97
Fly Army 97 said:

Across the board we are getting better at planning and fighting large scale combat operations vs couter-insurgency that filled our ruck sack for 20 years. That said, we have been moving towards this since 2012 when we started to conduct 'decisive action training environment' rotations at the CTCs. At some point, we started to note that the unit of action for LSCO is the DIV. In COIN, a BN or BDE could conduct a lot of operations with marginal assistance from their DIV-level HQs...in current operations (vs future operations)....but in LSCO, brigades NEED coordination in fires, airspace, multi-domain assets, etc...that can't be coordinated or prioritized at a brigade level.

In 2020, 1st Infantry Division send the DIV HQs to NTC along with the aviation brigade and (I think) sustainment BDE. Up to that point, aviation presence at NTC was a small task force. There have been other DIV HQs at the CTCs, so over the course of 4 years, the level of complexity and rigor DIV HQs, maneuver BDEs, and enablers see has increased. This is good for us all.

Now do Corps level.

No, I'm not kidding. I remember division and corps level Warfighter exercises (1AD, 1ID, and V Corps) when I was a LT in Germany in the late 90s. There are a whole lot of assets - especially things like artillery and engineers, but lots of sustainment as well - that live at corps level. All those separate brigades with the oddball patches? Corps level assets. Cav regiments? Corps assets.

Oh, and bring back the corps LRS units while you're at it. Drones and satellites are useful, but nothing beats the Mark I Eyeball on the ground.
74OA
11:44a, 5/12/24
I don't quite grasp how the new multi-domain task forces fit in all this reorg.

MDTF

Army aviation is also going back to the future.

TAILORED
AgLA06
1:51p, 5/14/24
In reply to Smeghead4761
Smeghead4761 said:

Oh, and bring back the corps LRS units while you're at it. Drones and satellites are useful, but nothing beats the Mark I Eyeball on the ground.
Drones with thermals are proving otherwise in Ukraine right now. SF used to own the night. I'm not sure that's the case anymore. They are the hunted as much as they are doing the hunting.
Fly Army 97
12:56a, 5/18/24
In reply to Smeghead4761
Smeghead4761 said:

Fly Army 97 said:

Now do Corps level.

No, I'm not kidding. I remember division and corps level Warfighter exercises (1AD, 1ID, and V Corps) when I was a LT in Germany in the late 90s. There are a whole lot of assets - especially things like artillery and engineers, but lots of sustainment as well - that live at corps level. All those separate brigades with the oddball patches? Corps level assets. Cav regiments? Corps assets.

Each US Army WFX is a Corps WFX fighting multiple divisions. If you are interested, look up Austere Challenge '24. This was a combatant command WFX that involved CC to Division/BDE HQs. As we scale up, it just becomes challenging getting that many units out in the dirt, as you know. As for LRS, that is an interesting conversation....https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/English-Edition-Archives/January-February-2017/ART-011/.

Smeghead4761
11:51a, 5/18/24
In reply to Fly Army 97
The division and corps WFXs I remember back in the late 90s didn't have any actual troops on the ground. Everything brigade and below was done in simulation. Division and corps HQs would set up in the field (giant clusters of 5-ton expando-vans, which would be insanely vulnerable on today's battlefield) and the rest would be played out on computers.

I was in the battalion 3 shop for one division (1AD) WFX, and IIRC, we sent the commander, S3, an NCO, and a couple of enlisted guys to be pucksters. That was it. The rest of the battalion was back in Baumholder doing normal stuff, with the Bn XO in charge. (That XO actually just retired a couple of years ago, as the SOCCOM CG.)

So to run those types of WFXs, you don't really need to put troops in the field.
WBBQ74
12:44p, 5/18/24
2I participated in 4 each Division Warfighters as a member of the TxARNG; 1992, 1995, 1998, 2002, as best I can remember. A couple at Fort Leavenworth and a couple at Fort Hood. I was in various positions in DISCOM for the last 3 (DMMC GSO, FSB Cdr, DISCOM XO). First one I was just a MAJ in the Division G3 shop.

From what I could tell/see, CPX type exercises like these were decent training tools for Tactical Commanders (O6 and above), G3s, G4s, some Bde G3s, and that was about it. Logistical play was anywhere from abysmal to acceptable. The 1995 one was full of logistical fairydust stuff. FA had unlimited rounds, Division attack was predicated on putting a COSCOM POL Bn out in Indian country to somehow pull off a ROM for an entire BCT. Controllers killed that off early in the game. The training value for G4, S4, and DISCOM types was low. The last one I did was better. Our RA evaluators told us that we (DISCOM) did better than most RA DISCOMs that they had seen and better than any other ARNG DISCOMs. Still was hard for the logistical guys to work with 'real' constraints. It was a serious challenge to train my guys on how to interact with a COSCOM because in that era we NEVER had any contact with 13th COSCOM at Fort Hood, even when we reached out.

This was ~25 years ago but somethings don't change much. Bringing back a real fleshed out Corps and getting enough key actors doctrinally trained will take about 10 years. If we have the time.
JA83
9:33a
Yes, the Army is reinvesting in Divisions, but they're going to be much different the Divisions many of us knew in '80s - '90s Germany and Desert Storm. They're apparently gutting the Cav Squadrons to pay personnel bills for other units, and they won't have the depth of combat support and service support units. I don't see the Army bringing back Corps-level units yet, and I'm not sure what the plans are for National Guard and Reserve Divisions.

Anecdotally, my conversations with non-veteran friends tell me that the public has no idea how much the Army has atrophied since the '90s. I'm sure the Army Staff is doing all it can to rebuild our capabilities, but the public has become addicted to the "peace dividends" of the past three decades, and Congress won't fully underwrite the Army's investments until the public recognizes our current and near-future threats. Not to be a downer, but U.S. history indicates that it normally takes a Pearl Harbor or Bataan type of event to wake folks up.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings