5,308 Views | 50 Replies
pierceshipp
1:49p, 4/29/24
Zhuric Phelps is going to be an Aggie
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
2:03p, 4/29/24
In reply to pierceshipp
Awesome news!

So, do you think that we are done with Portal Transfer additions?

Also - do you know anything about a PWO incoming fish for next year - Chris McDermott?

https://guyvlewisaward.org/

Know Your Enemy
2:04p, 4/29/24

This was an odd update to me. He was already in the portal but now announces he's leaving SMU without committing anywhere.
pierceshipp
2:06p, 4/29/24
In reply to Know Your Enemy
It was odd to me too, but if you look on his socials that was the first thing he actually posted about leaving SMU, but I think everyone already knew.
pierceshipp
2:08p, 4/29/24
In reply to Fanatic15...Drs2B!
I know absolutely nothing about Chris McDermott, very interesting commitment. I'm assuming will be an NIL walk-on situation.

I think we add one more from the portal possibly. If not i'm totally fine with this haul.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
2:09p, 4/29/24
statistically he looks like a good replacement for boots. can't have enough guards that can score.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
3:00p, 4/29/24
In reply to Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Agree. He definitely can get to the rim - though a few in this forum have expressed concern with his outside shot - especially 3-point shooting. However, I note that he has had a game winning or game tying three pointer in recent past. If he can also play tough defense, he should get plenty of playing time next year.
DTP02
3:31p, 4/29/24
In reply to Know Your Enemy
Know Your Enemy said:

This was an odd update to me. He was already in the portal but now announces he's leaving SMU without committing anywhere.

He's just trying to do things in the right order to be respectful to SMU, since entering the portal doesn't necessarily mean you're leaving the school. Announcement for where he's going (hopefully, and likely, A&M) should come as soon as he thinks enough time has passed between tweets to not look unseemly.
DTP02
3:33p, 4/29/24
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

Agree. He definitely can get to the rim - though a few in this forum have expressed concern with his outside shot - especially 3-point shooting. However, I note that he has had a game winning or game tying three pointer in recent past. If he can also play tough defense, he should get plenty of playing time next year.

He can play defense, handle, and drive. It'd be a great fit on the court and from what I understand he will be a nice fit off the court as well. Of course you'd like him to at least be a threat from 3, but hopefully we can make that up from other guys.
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
3:41p, 4/29/24
In reply to DTP02
Sounds great!

And we know that with THIS team - the "off the court" stuff really supports the "on-court" product.

Assuming he joins the Aggies for his final year of CBB eligibility, I am pretty happy with the three new players we will have signed from the transfer portal thus far.

Any late additions (not sure we have the scholarship room at this time) would be frosting on a pretty decent cake!
Method Man
4:45p, 4/29/24
What odds am I getting?
Fanatic15...Drs2B!
4:49p, 4/29/24
In reply to Method Man
Method Man said:

What odds am I getting?

Please don't tell me you heard he is in Lexington or Fayetteville or Oxford!
Sq 17
7:10p, 4/29/24
Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

If he was a great 3 point shooter he wouldn't be at SMU
Looks like a solid pickup Buzz thinks he will make the team better
WELCOME TO AGGIELAND
NyAggie
7:15p, 4/29/24
In reply to Sq 17
Sq 17 said:

Fanatic15...Drs2B! said:

If he was a great 3 point shooter he wouldn't be at SMU
Looks like a solid pickup Buzz thinks he will make the team better
WELCOME TO AGGIELAND

Solid pickup but not a great shooter, which is fine because it looks like he does other things well
Sq 17
7:45p, 4/29/24
People that know way mor3 than me are excited he's coming So Iam also excited by the addition
Getting contributors from non P5 schools through the portal is going to be the way P5 programs get better going forward
frenchtoast
7:54p, 4/29/24
Danuel?
Rec
7:57p, 4/29/24
Warsteiner
8:04p, 4/29/24
Serious question.
Why are we excited to get another player who can't shoot?Don't we have enough of those?
Asking because I know nothing about this dude.
gstu11
8:13p, 4/29/24
In reply to Warsteiner
Averaged 18 points a game. Does it really matter how the points were scored. Dude is a scorer
Warsteiner
8:38p, 4/29/24
In reply to gstu11
gstu11 said:

Averaged 18 points a game. Does it really matter how the points were scored. Dude is a scorer

Gotcha
Was hoping we could get someone that could hit a 3
85AustinAg
8:41p, 4/29/24
I'm confused. So some are saying he can't shoot because he's not a great 3 point shooter and yet he averages 18 points a game? Man the basketball IQ on this board is off the charts. I'll let you guys go ahead and I'll just try and keep up.
Seven Costanza
9:23p, 4/29/24
14.8 ppg, 38.6% FG, 21.6% FG3% last year.
DTP02
9:29p, 4/29/24
In reply to Warsteiner
Warsteiner said:

Serious question.
Why are we excited to get another player who can't shoot?Don't we have enough of those?
Asking because I know nothing about this dude.

Personally I went in to this offseason hoping we would add a ~30 min guard who could handle, get to the rim, and defend more than I I wanted a guard who could shoot. Ideally we'd get a guy who could do all four, of course.
Know Your Enemy
9:30p, 4/29/24
In reply to 85AustinAg
85AustinAg said:

I'm confused. So some are saying he can't shoot because he's not a great 3 point shooter and yet he averages 18 points a game? Man the basketball IQ on this board is off the charts. I'll let you guys go ahead and I'll just try and keep up.

Would you say that Shaquille O'Neal was a great shooter? He scored a lot of points.
Method Man
9:32p, 4/29/24
In reply to 85AustinAg
Yes. You are confused.
Method Man
9:45p, 4/29/24
But you're still the man 85austin ag.
Method Man
9:46p, 4/29/24
In reply to pierceshipp
pierceshipp said:

Zhuric Phelps is going to be an Aggie

when?
pierceshipp
9:56p, 4/29/24
In reply to Method Man
hopefully tomorrow
Method Man
10:09p, 4/29/24
Redfishag93
10:15p, 4/29/24
Some of y'all don't understand basketball.

If someone scores 18 points a game but shoots a poor percentage that is not a recipe for wins.

I'm not saying Phelps would cause a bunch of losses. At this point he's a definite take because we need his ball handling, defense, rebounding and ability to get to the rim.

Shooting 21% from 3 is a problem if you are taking a lot of 3s. If we do get Phelps hopefully another year in the gym putting up about 500 3s a day and Wade and manny creating good looks for him would improve his percentage.
MarcAg
10:51p, 4/29/24
In reply to Redfishag93
Redfishag93 said:

Shooting 21% from 3 is a problem if you are taking a lot of 3s. .

We don't consider those misses. We consider those passes to our bigs
MarcAg
10:52p, 4/29/24
In reply to pierceshipp
pierceshipp said:

hopefully tomorrow

On Saturday I was told; "Hopefully Monday". Hope we lock him up tomorrow. When these things stretch out it just opens the door for more bidding. Now it's possible the staff could have asked him to wait on making things public.
EliteZags
11:22p, 4/29/24
TJ Starks?
Warsteiner
5:43a, 4/30/24
In reply to 85AustinAg
85AustinAg said:

I figured we already had a guard that could score. Adding a shooter would make defenses more susceptible if they crash down. I'm not saying it's a bad pickup.
pierceshipp
7:24a, 4/30/24
In reply to Warsteiner
we also got a good shooter in CJ Wilcher this cycle. I also know he doesn't shoot a lot, but Manny kept making 3's when needed, I could see him shooting more 3's as well next season
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings