Did we do "Ball 5" in the '80s?
6,857 Views | 70 Replies
Sue94
3:16p, 2/10/24
I know we did it in the early '90s, and it SEEMS like one of those things we'd have done in the '80s glory days, but does anybody know for sure? (or if it's older, maybe?) Appreciate any help you can give me or any names I ought to talk to!

Also I'm generally looking for things I need to correct or update, if any, in here

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/144844/bubbles-ball-5-mean-aandm-baseball-is-back/
Agsncws
3:35p, 2/10/24
I graduated December of 90 and my faulty recollection is no.
An L of an Ag
5:30p, 2/10/24
No. Started going to games in spring of 88, and don't remember that.
woodometer
7:25p, 2/10/24
I remember it in the early 90's but it was slightly different but i can remember exactly how
src94
8:00p, 2/10/24
It used to be much slower, and needs slow again.
Boozer92
8:06p, 2/10/24
I don't recall it in the 80's or the first couple years of the 90s. Some time soon after
jkag89
8:39p, 2/10/24
Can't say for sure that some Raggies did not do something similar but it certainly was not done on mass by everyone in the park.
Sue94
8:52p, 2/10/24
I love y'all so much. There is no way I would have suspected that this did NOT start in the late-'80s glory days (or before) -- but here we are; Aggies' memories are accumulating to indicate nope, maybe it really was the early '90s! You never know what you're going to find. And, still hoping to hear from more folks! So grateful to everybody, and please keep it coming
phoenix491
9:37p, 2/10/24
Class of '91, and I definitely did this '89-90-ish …
TAMU1990
11:56p, 2/10/24
Yes
ColoradoMooseHerd
6:10a, 2/11/24
OilManAg91
7:35a, 2/11/24
I remember it in the late '80s.
AlwaysNextYear89
8:26a, 2/11/24
It certainly FEELS like something George would have done, but I attended almost every home game between 86-89, and I can't remember this. A lot of the stuff then was NOT very PC, "one taco, two tacos, three tacos" for the UH catcher who led the SWC in hitting I think one year...and of course counting 'Horn Kieschnick's swings followed by wiggle wiggle wiggle. I'm sure there were some much worse.
An L of an Ag
9:00a, 2/11/24
In reply to AlwaysNextYear89
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

It certainly FEELS like something George would have done, but I attended almost every home game between 86-89, and I can't remember this. A lot of the stuff then was NOT very PC, "one taco, two tacos, three tacos" for the UH catcher who led the SWC in hitting I think one year...and of course counting 'Horn Kieschnick's swings followed by wiggle wiggle wiggle. I'm sure there were some much worse.

Yeah, they did something similar to one of the tu batters of Hispanic origin. When taking cuts in the on-deck circle, the chant was "Uno! Dos!", etc.
HECUBUS
9:10a, 2/11/24
Yes we did. We even tried starting earlier in the count. That didn't take. George was the best heckler by far, great voice for heckling and always with great material.
CapCityAg89
10:13a, 2/11/24
The heckling was much more focused then. The entire crowd doing anything together didn't start until the 90s. But I absolutely recognized the ball 5 chant when I heard it on the radio in the mid 90s so I say yes. At least somebody did it.
Leander - Ag
2:18p, 2/11/24
Aggie alley was next level
woodometer
3:12p, 2/11/24
It was around 91 or 92 but definitely post 89.
Sue94
10:02a, 2/12/24
In reply to HECUBUS
This is terrific! It's starting to sound like "Ball 5" (or earlier in the count) was something done by individuals in the late '80s but then became a crowd-wide chant in the early '90s -- would y'all agree? That would cover a lot of what people are saying here, at least!

And is George somebody I might be able to talk with? (my email is sowen94 at aggienetwork dot com if y'all know his full name, etc)

I do remember some of the very inventive and non-PC heckling. There was one poor guy in a Mary Hardin Baylor uniform (purple) who got Barney the Dinosaur's "I love you, you love me" chanted at him through a whole game...
10Aggie10
11:07a, 2/12/24
Not gonna have that email for much longer
ensign_beedrill
11:56a, 2/12/24
In reply to 10Aggie10
She probably will because she actually works for the Association.

Rest of us are out of luck lol.
twk
1:02p, 2/12/24
Pre-'89, we definitely didn't do "Ball 5" the way it's done nowadays. Crowds were small back then, so if only a few people, or even one person with a voice that carried, said something, it could be heard. I seem to recall George heckling guys who threw 5 straight balls (not predicting ball 5, but marking it when it had happened), but he would not continue this ad infinitum. After a guy threw six or seven in a row, he'd pick some outrageous number (something like, "Ball 8,511") and just fall out laughing. It wasn't a regimented thing. or done en mass.
trouble
1:11p, 2/12/24
In reply to ensign_beedrill
ensign_beedrill said:

She probably will because she actually works for the Association.

Rest of us are out of luck lol.

This
greg.w.h
1:55p, 2/12/24
BYOE…bring your own email.

It's not the Association's fault Google changed their strategy to monetizing their customers more directly. But the shared domain was problematic and given the costs it made zero sense to try and replace it.

They hinted loudly that the issue is phishing initiated from their own domain that we were allowed to use. It's hard enough defending that from an external email…
12thMan9
2:18p, 2/12/24
I rermember chanting "Take him out! Leave him in!" alternating b/w sections of the crowd back in the mid 80's when an opposing coach made a pitching change.

I also remember the DD's would come to get the foul balls in exchange for a piece of bubble gum. We would hassle them a bit, sometimes asking for more than the gum.....

I believe we used to play the Hawa'ii 5-0 theme song when we brought in Beje Mahoe for relief, although my memory could be playing tricks.
Ronnie '88
FTACo88-FDT24dad
2:23p, 2/12/24
I attended games from 1986-1989 and I seem to recall the "Ball 5" but not in the same form it is used today. I definitely recall "touch his butt ... teeeeaasse" and of course the "ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch" if a batter took a fouled ball to the foot and it would be resurrected every time that guy came to bat for the rest of the game.
MSTC Man
4:21p, 2/12/24
Yes, it was done in the 80's.
AggieBB
6:59p, 2/12/24
1989. It was an individual in 203. Dont think he was a student as he was older. He did it reeeaaallll sllooooow as if to say the pitcher is boring everybody. It was awesome.
CowPieAndFries
10:21p, 2/12/24
Graduated in 1986. I remember it. I do not remember touch his butt. I do remember stupid stupid stupid chant. I don't think we were the Raggies yet.

I do remember bringing empty pizza boxes and twinky's and ding dongs to the game. When the heaviest guy on the other team would get up to bat we would wave the pizza boxes and twinky's in the air and ask him if he was hungry. Probably wouldn't fly in today's world.
fightintxaggie10
11:24p, 2/12/24
We didn't do ball 5 until 2009.
Aggie Infantry
6:09a, 2/13/24
I do miss the "Leave Him In - Take Him Out",

The Rib and I went to several games last year and were the only ones yelling it.

I also miss the "Stay in the Box! - "Get Out of My Box!" directed at the 1st Base Coach.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
trouble
6:47a, 2/13/24
In reply to Aggie Infantry
We did both of those at every game I attended last year.
twk
7:37a, 2/13/24
In reply to Aggie Infantry
Aggie Infantry said:

I do miss the "Leave Him In - Take Him Out",

The Rib and I went to several games last year and were the only ones yelling it.

I also miss the "Stay in the Box! - "Get Out of My Box!" directed at the 1st Base Coach.
For the benefit of the younger crowd, the "Leave him in!" "Take him out!" was a take off on the 1987 Miller Lite beer commercial.

85AustinAg
8:18a, 2/13/24
George was the best Aggie heckler ever. Always tried to sit near him just to laugh at his harassment!
Aggie
11:39a, 2/13/24
Ehh.. I may be wrong
Been season ticket holder since 1989 but I don't remember the ball 5 chant until mid 2000's

Jaws was popular back then but don't remember ball 5 till many years later

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off