Are we recruiting any kids in deep south texas?
5,412 Views | 48 Replies
Frank the Tank
11:49a, 8/4/04
I'm originally from Mission and am curious to know if we're looking at anyone from the valley. It's great to see kids from Sharyland and Mission High at A&M and would love to see more.

Do any of you know if any one kid has caught the coaches attention?
ljhookem
7:11p, 8/4/04
Frank the Tank, I did some reasearch and I didn't see any offers (out of the numerous Fran has offered) to anyone from the valley area.

HOOKEM
realhorn
8:09p, 8/4/04
frank there is a kid from sharyland thats a sophomore who is a hoss. I am from Brownsville and the only great kids out of the valley were the taylor's, tony ellis and now billy garza.
Frank the Tank
8:23p, 8/4/04
Thanks, guys. I realize it's tough for our valley kids to make it to the next level due to an overall lack of size and speed. Most of our careers ended in high school.

I appreciate ya'll's time.
McAg99
12:25a, 8/5/04
Realhorn, I graduated a year before Ellis at Hanna. What school did you go to?
realhorn
12:58a, 8/5/04
St. Joseph's Academy
l-horndev
12:59a, 8/5/04
With the exception of the Detmers, a lot of talented kids in the valley move to more "high profile" schools for their junior and senior years just to get some college attention.
realhorn
1:00a, 8/5/04
Tom Landry came out of the valley. Stadium in mission is named after him
mudboy....
11:23a, 8/5/04
I am from McAllen, there have been very few I can remember. Ellis(brownsv), Detmer and the Taylors(from mission), a few walk ons at a lot of schools. Mark Morgan(McHI) got a full ride to TCU in early ninties, but never made it there. Aggies had a good 12th man in T. Bishop from (McA Memorial.)
McAg99
11:44a, 8/5/04
Only the younger Detmer came out of Mission, I think.

Realhorn, what year did you graduate from St. Joe's? I went there for a year.
mudboy....
12:21p, 8/5/04
Yeah, Ty came out of San Antonio. Koy transferred to Mission either in 8th grade or right around there. I played golf against him at District, he ain't a bad player.

[This message has been edited by mudboy.... (edited 8/5/2004 11:22a).]
McAg99
1:12p, 8/5/04
I played in a golf tournament with him too. I think the course was Plantation something or another. He hit about a 75 which looked fantastic against my 95. The #4 player at my school was no match for their #10. It sucked and was embarrassing!
McAg99
1:12p, 8/5/04
dp

[This message has been edited by McAg99 (edited 8/5/2004 12:12p).]
proudaggie02
4:15p, 8/5/04
i played at harlingen, and there were 5-6 of us that played D-1 or D-1AA. i broke my back a coupe weeks before signing day or might have added to that number.
proudaggie02
4:16p, 8/5/04
5-6 between my Jr and Sr years to be clear.
NeerRaw
5:25p, 8/5/04
Damn its like a RGV reunion in here. Good friend of mine from McHi got to go play at Trinity in SA, but really seems that due to the level of competition you see in the valley, no one trusts that any of the players are as good as they seem.

See Taylor Schuster, looked like a great player coming out of Sharyland, but when he is up against real competition, he just isn't any good.
realhorn
5:26p, 8/5/04
McAg what year were you at sja?
mudboy....
6:21p, 8/5/04
At McHi, we had a lot of Div I players. I blew my tryouts at UT. We had a couple of pretty good aggie golfers. I played a lot with Anthony Rodriquez(he ended up transferring to San Antonio) and was on the same team as Miguel del Angel(McHi).
mudboy....
6:23p, 8/5/04
quote:
Good friend of mine from McHi got to go play at Trinity in SA
what year did he graduate from McHi? I wonder if I played with him?
mudboy....
6:25p, 8/5/04
McAg99
When did you play I remember some of the brownsville golfer, but the year by your name suggest you are a little young? Unless you played against him your freshman year?

[This message has been edited by mudboy.... (edited 8/5/2004 5:26p).]
McAg99
6:41p, 8/5/04
Sorry, I played golf from 92' through 95' and was never really any good. I remember Harlingen and H. South having some real talent. Our golf coach put out some real talent in the 80's and by the time he got our bunch, he wasn't real interested in getting us in prime form for competition. (not that I'm blaming him)

Realhorn, I went to St. Joe after Episcopal, for my 7th grade year which would have been the late 80's. I then ventured to public shcool ........(graduated in 95')
realhorn
7:00p, 8/5/04
Episcopal sucks, ya'll couldn't compete w/ St. Mary's. My dad has taught at sja since 70 something.
McAg99
7:28p, 8/5/04
Dude, we kicked St. Mary's ass when I went there. (in basketball)

Are your Dad's initials KH? If so, I had him for a class. He's kick ass.
realhorn
7:54p, 8/5/04
I think your dead on McAg. Thanks.
realhorn
7:57p, 8/5/04
McAg I had him in class to, he always made it harder for me. He is still going strong.
McAg99
9:15p, 8/5/04
I used to see him running all over town. He's in good shape for an Oldtimer, albeit I haven't seen him in years.

I'm pretty sure that my Mom and him are friends, she's in education as well. I'm sure he'd recognize my last name, but may not remember me b/c it's been so long.

You come from good stock, too bad he raised you to be a horn! j/k. I knew he had a son that was younger than I am, hell I may have even met you before if you used to hang around the gym and weight room before you went to St. Joes. If you wanna e-mail me on my account that is listed on my profile, I'll tell you my real name and you can ask him.
76Ag
9:39p, 8/5/04
If I get nothing else out of checking the Aggie threads every day it is a reminder of why I find sips so irritating. They can't help it and I can't help the way I think about sips because of it.

"I'd rather be a Texas Aggie"
realhorn
12:10a, 8/6/04
realhorn
12:14a, 8/6/04
mcag - check your email.
Frank the Tank
12:37a, 8/6/04
Thanks for hijacking my thread, a-holes. I wanted to know if the ags were looking at any kids from our area for recruitment purposes not to see if you guys were missing home. Geez.
realhorn
12:45a, 8/6/04
frank : bradley stephens a RB from McAllen he is only a sophomore but he is one of 20 listed in the whole state of Texas. From what I have heard he is going to be a great ball player.
NeerRaw
10:00a, 8/6/04
mudboy...
My friend and I both graduated from McHi in 99, so we were probably Fish the year after you graduated or somethin like that.
jgreg9
10:36a, 8/6/04
I played a lot of junior golf in the Valley. During the summer months 2 times a week we would play at different courses. I played with Rene Rangel, Anthony Rodriguez, Albert Ochoa, etc. Do any of you guys know these people? My home course was Tony Butler.
Austin Horns
12:18p, 8/6/04
I worked at UT's Study Center and hung out with Tony Ellis quite a bit. I'm from Weslaco ('91)and he has family from there. Anyway, does anyone remember that other running back from Brownsville (a few years after Ellis) that was an absolute stud? I believe he was black (rare in the valley) and he broke all kinds of records. I'm just wondering what happened to him? He would have been an awesome D-1 back but didn't have the grades. I heard he was going to go to a junior college but never heard anything from him again.
proudaggie02
12:26p, 8/6/04
youre speaking of Maurice Hunter from HHS; he was awesome and ran pure sweep plays. failed out of JC or something- dumb as a brick.
5-A Offensive Player of Year
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 2
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off