Are you supposed to just stare at the wall when waiting in public places?

2,329 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Hagen95
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I see people judging others for playing on their phone all the time..

If I'm at the doctor's office waiting, should I just stare at the wall or into space in order to be normal? Does passing the time by browsing eBay on my phone make me a zombie?
gabehcoud
how do you know they're judging?
Andrew Dufresne
Mainly intuition. Also, I see people on online forums casting aspersions on phone zombies.. all the time.
Seven Costanza
AG
I think people are generally talking about staring at your phone while doing things like walking down the street, having dinner with friends, being at a baseball game, etc. Just generally not experiencing life.
ac04
nobody cares what you're doing at all. just do whatever you want as long as you're not bothering anyone.
B-1 83
AG
Dude……there's National Geographics there for the gazing…….
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Serious Lee
i usually just find a woman and stare at her tits
maroon barchetta
Full-on David Puddy mode.
Philo B 93
In public places (college campuses, conventions, etc) I see a lot of people walking while looking at their phone. I figure they must be responding to important messages from family or work. But when I happen to glance at their phone, they're scrolling social media.

I have social media, but it's not that exciting. I want to know what they have that is so great that they can't walk without looking at it. If it's that great, I want it too!
bagger05
AG
Serious Lee said:

i usually just find a woman and stare at her tits

You can also do this on your phone.
evestor1
Philo B 93 said:

In public places (college campuses, conventions, etc) I see a lot of people walking while looking at their phone. I figure they must be responding to important messages from family or work. But when I happen to glance at their phone, they're scrolling social media.

I have social media, but it's not that exciting. I want to know what they have that is so great that they can't walk without looking at it. If it's that great, I want it too!
this is the truth. i see executives and important people all the time with phones plugged to their face during meetings or meals. overwhelmingly, they are surfing social media and not responding to million dollar emails.

you will almost never see me looking at a phone when around others. if i am on a phone, there is zero chance i am doing anything other than time sensitive work.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Read ranger Rick like a normal person
EastSideAg2002
Highlights will keep you engaged.
maroon barchetta
evestor1 said:

Philo B 93 said:

this is the truth. i see executives and important people all the time with phones plugged to their face during meetings or meals. overwhelmingly, they are surfing social media and not responding to million dollar emails.

you will almost never see me looking at a phone when around others. if i am on a phone, there is zero chance i am doing anything other than time sensitive work.

So you only post on TexAgs from your phone when nobody is around?
evestor1
yes - i dont even look at texags when others are around b/c i am scared someone would ask me my username!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
At my doctors office they have signs up saying not to be on your phone. Yeah right. Good luck with that. Maybe if you could get your ass into the room at the agreed upon time, I might put my phone down. Making me wait 20 minutes in a small boring room, I'm playing on my phone until you show up.
Now, I do put the phone fully away when they finally show up, I'm not that guy.
Cromagnum
AG
I care if I'm in a waiting room somewhere and some Neanderthal has their text typing sounds on full blast on their damned IPhone.

Nothing like sitting in a quiet room and having to continuously listen to clack, clack, clack, clack, Wheep! Whoop!
Baron von Bulsh
Browsing eBay?

Is that still a thing?

Now I'm debating whether OP is out of touch, or whether it's me.
5C
AG
Seriously?
saw em off
KidDoc
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

At my doctors office they have signs up saying not to be on your phone. Yeah right. Good luck with that. Maybe if you could get your ass into the room at the agreed upon time, I might put my phone down. Making me wait 20 minutes in a small boring room, I'm playing on my phone until you show up.
Now, I do put the phone fully away when they finally show up, I'm not that guy.
I have parents on their dang phones all the time while I'm talking to them about their kid. So annoying!

And if your doc cannot figure out how to run on a reasonable schedule I would consider changing docs. I have done this many times in the past.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
I'm ok with some docs running behind. I've been in a particular office where he was always behind. But the walls between the exam rooms were thin and I could hear the types of things he was having to discuss with other patients.

These were not conversations that could be done quickly. I was glad it wasn't me in the next room.
one safe place
You should just stare at the wall. The one in front of you, not a wall to either side. I do not recommend trying to stare at the wall behind you.

Also, do not stare at the ceiling or the floor.
Hagen95
AG
OP-
If you make a Faraday room out of your lobby, you'll solve this problem.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.