Drivers license renewal

4,205 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by swc93
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I already have a valid license why do I need to bring documents to verify who I am? I don't have a passport and it will take 3-6 months to get a copy of my birth certificate. My license expires in less than a month.
TX AG 88
AG
Real ID
toucan82
More Big Government in action

Thanks a lot, Biden
Know Your Enemy
AG
TX AG 88 said:

Real ID

How is that real ID? Just because I'm holding that paper doesn't mean it's me. Besides, I've already shown it to get the valid license I have now.
maroon barchetta
Just use your Wolfgang Van Halen license. They'll leave you alone if they think you are a celebrity.
Jack Cheese
AG
Blame the terrorists and illegals.
Know Your Enemy
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Just use your Wolfgang Van Halen license. They'll leave you alone if they think you are a celebrity.

I'll just tell them I'm Action Bronson.
AW96
AG
I know it stinks, but you can get your birth certificate same day. I went to get mine renewed in Rosenberg (outside Houston) last year and had so many documents including my hospital birth certificate, but not the official one. They gave me the address of a government building nearby where I was able to get the short version (acceptable) in about an hour. Then I went back to DPS to complete my renewal.
chiken
AG
Man this is a big pet peeve of mine. Because of my job, I have to prove if people are citizens or residents. Some naturalized citizens get SO bent out of shape when they have to show proof of identity again.

'DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY ALREADY DID THIS!!! WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME DO IT AGAIN!?"

Bruh. I'm doing my job and following the law. Go yell are your congress person, not me. I don't get paid enough to console your tender hearted sentiments because you have to make an effort to receive a service.

I get that it's annoying, but yelling at the patrons doing their job is gross. You think we want to see you again!? F that.
AtticusMatlock
3-6mo for a birth certificate?
maroon barchetta
My drivers license should be enough. I already had to show eleventy forms of ID to get that license.
Know Your Enemy
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

I wasn't born in Texas so I can't just go get one same day.
Know Your Enemy
AG
That's great for people born in the state where they currently reside. Unfortunately I am not one of those people
maroon barchetta
Know Your Enemy said:

AtticusMatlock said:

I didn't know you were a Yankee.

T&P's
Inca
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

AtticusMatlock said:

I got my Indiana birth certificate within a week. Called the County health department and they told me going through them was much quicker than going through the state. I did have to print the form, fill it out, and send it and payment via Priority Mail. Had to supply a self addressed stamped envelope so did that as Priority Mail also.

I did laugh when they told me to just send a family member or friend to pick it up. I haven't lived there since 1985!

What was really ridiculous to me is that I had a document from Indiana that I had used my entire life. But suddenly it wasn't good enough because it didn't have my sex on it. Had everything else needed on it. So stupid.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Isn't this a federal Id verification thing now to get a blue star on your license? I had to renew mine a couple of years ago so I can't remember the exact details. I went in like the week of exp date without the BC and no appointment. DPS trooper at the front said it ain't happening today so I left, and got the BC made an appointment like a month later. No big deal. Also DPS is another place that can't keep appointments. At least the one in Universal City can't.
Al Bula
AG
The Karens and Latoyas who staff the DPS offices take great pleasure in turning people away who aren't aware of the birth certificate requirement.
AggieArchitect04
AG
License expired in January.
Renewed in February.
All I took in was my passport, no birth certificate needed.

Every adult should have a passport.
fishnvet
AG
Going thru this now. Only been getting DL's for 44 years, yet somehow my DL is not good enough ID to get another. They refused my current passport. So, I went down and got a short form birth certificate in 15 minutes. All they required was my DL.......to get a birth certificate.......so I could get a DL. LOL
Texarkanaag69
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

If I already have a valid license why do I need to bring documents to verify who I am? I don't have a passport and it will take 3-6 months to get a copy of my birth certificate. My license expires in less than a month.
It's been 3-4 years ago I went to renew my Texas DL, waited in line, had my picture taken, wrote the check out and the clerk tells me I need to show her some identificationmy birth certificate. Steam was coming out of my ears and it didn't matter that I had been renewing my license in Bowie county since I was 16. Went home, got it, went back and got my renewal. I was not a happy camper, but that young lady did not care whether I was happy or not and bid me good afternoon.
jja79
AG
Texas is in the stone age on this. I moved to Arizona last year and asked around where to get a license, vehicle registration, etc. Everyone said just go to the driver's license store. I thought they were kidding. They weren't. I went to the driver's license store with my Texas DL and birth certificate. I left in 20 minutes with a driver's license, license plate and voter registration. Private businesses are undefeated against pathetic government offices.
TyHolden
AG
Just walk across the border and come back in without your id. Problem solved. Probably get a free house as well.
rondis23
AG
I couldn't find my birth certificate, and I went in prepared with everything I could find including: Tax returns, Old Drivers License, utility bills, my PIV card (used to access government computers/buildings, etc), and my passport.

The gentleman helping me denied my PIV card as "proof of ID", even though I explained the process of having to go through a strenuous government background check just to have this issued. It was good enough for Uncle Sam, but not my local Texas DMV.

Luckily, he accepted my Passport, and W2 stubs (denied the tax returns for some reason).
saw em off
fishnvet said:

Going thru this now. Only been getting DL's for 44 years, yet somehow my DL is not good enough ID to get another. They refused my current passport. So, I went down and got a short form birth certificate in 15 minutes. All they required was my DL.......to get a birth certificate.......so I could get a DL. LOL
This right here pretty much sums up the idiotic people that run our country.
Monkeypoxfighter
Did my last on on line.
It only took me a year to figure out this place is nuts!
eiggA2002
AG
Be thankful you got an appointment. It took 2 months and a 45 mile drive to get mine renewed. The next available appointment was another 2 months later!
fishnvet
AG
Local appointments for me were way out, but I got an appointment 2 hours away within 2 weeks. Figured I'll make the drive and also visit a son that lives close by.
For online, at some point they take that option away on a cycle. My last 2 renewals I did online, but for this one they require in person since it had been so long.
jja79
AG
The Texas process is crazy but I didn't realize it until I moved away.
toucan82
saw em off said:

fishnvet said:

Agree. This is why we need to secede so we aren't subject to the rules set by the Swanp in DC. It's time to let Texans make decisions for Texas.
aggie4231
AG
You can blame the Feds for the new DL/Id standards that cause this.

Went last year already knowing what I needed, due to a roommate having to get a new DL after living out of state for awhile. Did have to drive to Gonzalez (live in South Austin) because everything from San Marcos to Austin was booked out at least a month +. They did make it an 8 year DL verse the 6 year DL I've been getting since 1999.

I'm guessing the next renewal I'll be able to do online.
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
histag10
AG
Inca said:

Know Your Enemy said:

AtticusMatlock said:

I got my Indiana birth certificate within a week. Called the County health department and they told me going through them was much quicker than going through the state. I did have to print the form, fill it out, and send it and payment via Priority Mail. Had to supply a self addressed stamped envelope so did that as Priority Mail also.

I did laugh when they told me to just send a family member or friend to pick it up. I haven't lived there since 1985!

What was really ridiculous to me is that I had a document from Indiana that I had used my entire life. But suddenly it wasn't good enough because it didn't have my sex on it. Had everything else needed on it. So stupid.

That's really dumb since apparently we can all just decide that anyways
kyledr04
AG
It's insane that one state government agency makes you go down the hall to another state government agency to get a document from second agency using the ID from the first agency just to get the original ID again.
maroon barchetta
toucan82 said:

saw em off said:

fishnvet said:

Agree. This is why we need to secede so we aren't subject to the rules set by the Swanp in DC. It's time to let Texans make decisions for Texas.
agracer
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

When I went to get my DL renewed, I brought all the documents they required and when I got to the desk the lady said "we already have that on file" (because I used those same documents it when I moved to KS to get my original KS DL).

This was in Kansas though, not Texas.
Grapesoda2525
jja79 said:

Texas is in the stone age on this. I moved to Arizona last year and asked around where to get a license, vehicle registration, etc. Everyone said just go to the driver's license store. I thought they were kidding. They weren't. I went to the driver's license store with my Texas DL and birth certificate. I left in 20 minutes with a driver's license, license plate and voter registration. Private businesses are undefeated against pathetic government offices.
Texas is in the Stone Age on nearly everything actually.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.