Drivers license renewal

4,209 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by swc93
johnhoward
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Totally get the hassle, mate! They're just double-checking who you are for security. Maybe see if there's another ID you can use in the meantime, like a social security card, and hustle to sort that birth certificate it'll save you a ton of headache down the line.
histag10
AG
When we moved back to Texas, we had to get Texas licenses again. I went to the office and had all the docs it said I needed. Then they said no, I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate. I asked if they keep those on file, they said yes. Well great! Look it up then, I had my license in Texas before. They said they didn't have it on file, and you can't have a license in Texas unless it is on file. I asked how long that was a requirement, they said several decades.

So I posed this question- if you can see my record, and see that I got my first license in Texas in 2003, along with all my documents from my driver's ed and permit in 2002, and all my renewals through 2012, then by their own logic, they had to have my birth certificate right? The response was you could never have had a Texas DL without us having your birth certificate.

YOU JUST SAID YOU SEE THAT I HAVE HAD A TEXAS DL!
saw em off
toucan82 said:

saw em off said:

fishnvet said:

Going thru this now. Only been getting DL's for 44 years, yet somehow my DL is not good enough ID to get another. They refused my current passport. So, I went down and got a short form birth certificate in 15 minutes. All they required was my DL.......to get a birth certificate.......so I could get a DL. LOL
This right here pretty much sums up the idiotic people that run our country.

Agree. This is why we need to secede so we aren't subject to the rules set by the Swanp in DC. It's time to let Texans make decisions for Texas.
If we secede. Texas would have to look like a donut by putting Austin somewhere else.
Ag with kids
AG
strbrst777
This is nuts! Yet to vote is another story. Gov wires are crossed.
MagnumLoad
AggieArchitect04 said:

License expired in January.
Renewed in February.
All I took in was my passport, no birth certificate needed.

Every adult should have a passport.

Why? Other than to renew a DL that I have had and renewed at the same address in Texas for 30 years.

I have no desire to travel across the ocean or even to Canada or Mexico
swc93
AG
I love *****ing about TxDMV.

When I had to drive to the Brenham office for my son's first driver's license we had all the documents plus extra's and I had already completed the application form. On the form it had a place for addresses; three in a row. I put our home address in the first line and then underneath I put " "; in each of the fields since it was all the same for all three addresses. The DMV guy looked at me and said " I don't know what these little marks are for but you need to write out all of the addresses." He then handed me a new application because they don't accept edits.

Same office that some dude drove into last week after getting fed up with their ***** RIP innocent bystanders.

https://abc13.com/brenham-dps-office-crash-texas-department-of-public-safety-man-drives-18-wheeler-into-clenard-parker-arrested/14715511/

MagnumLoad
DHS is responsible for this crap. Americans still being punished after 9/11. The patriot act was the greatest theft of privacy and constitutional rights ever. You have heard it before, but once again, trade liberty for security and you will have neither.
Burdizzo
AG
14 y.o. son wants to take an online class for high school credit. The course provider uses proctoring software for the exams, and one requirement is a photo ID. Since he is junior high right now, he won't get a school ID until next year. So, here we go getting the a photo ID from DPS.

I jump through all the hoops to get an appointment that isn't three months from now.

I take with us:
  • Social Security card
  • Birth certificate
  • Two bank statements that show he lives in state
  • A letter from the registrar at the school that he is enrolled.

Visit the DMV in Jourdanton. Show all the documents to the clerk, and she won't accept the letter from the registrar.

"This is not a Verification of Enrollment."
    "It's a letter from the school that says he is enrolled."
    "It has to be a form. I can give that to you, or you can bring a report card."
    "What form? The website didn't say it needed to be a form"
    "We have a form that you have to use. We can't accept the letter. Or we can take a report card."
    "Our school doesn't send out paper report cards anymore. It's online. Can I show you that on my phone?"
    "No. It has to be paper."
    "Will these bank statements be adequate?"
    "No. I can give you the form for them to fill out, and you can bring it back."
    "That's not the issue here. I scheduled a day off of work to take care of this, only to have you tell me I need a form that your website didn't explicitly say anything about. So now I have to take it back to the school the get them to fill it out, and then I have to wait another two months for an appointment, and take another day off of work. You do understand how frustrating this is, right?"

*Blank stare*
  • swc93
    AG
    Same issue getting the permit for my son. We actually had a print out of his report card. They wouldn't accept that. I had an email from school registrar verifying he was a student and enrolled; with that report card attached; they wouldn't accept that. I had to leave and drive to a FedEx office place to print out the email with the registrar's email sig on it and then they would accept it. Day started at 10am. We had an 11am appointment. We got rejected at 2pm when it was finally our turn. Finished at 4pm after leaving for FedEx; they did give us a number so we didn't have to wait in the 3 hour line again. Permit fun was at the Carrolton Mega center location.

YET at the same time I have had DMV accept just looking at insurance coverage on the app on my phone for proof of liability on different occasions.
    Refresh
    Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.